FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 24 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SenseiGregT, sagat, JFawkes, pluckysaga39, sgtdemeo
22911 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Dobbersky 5
AndyLA 5
Ed_Morris 4
futsaowingchun 3
ergees 3
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
New Topics
2014 World Championships Chelyabinsk: The Gallery
by ergees
Today at 03:51 AM
Biu Tzu- Snake hand strike
by futsaowingchun
08/27/14 09:02 PM
Chum Kiu 2nd section applications
by futsaowingchun
08/20/14 09:54 PM
2013 World Championship Rio: The Gallery (HD)
by ergees
08/19/14 05:22 AM
Chi Sao demonstration
by futsaowingchun
08/14/14 10:57 PM
Decent Fight channel
by FrankyFruits
08/07/14 09:19 PM
2014 European Championships Cadets Athens: Videos
by ergees
08/07/14 10:00 AM
Life goes on....
by Dobbersky
08/07/14 05:59 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:14 AM
Recent Posts
2014 World Championships Chelyabinsk: The Gallery
by ergees
Today at 03:51 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by Zombie Zero
08/29/14 10:50 PM
mindfullness meditation
by log1call
08/28/14 02:39 AM
Biu Tzu- Snake hand strike
by futsaowingchun
08/27/14 09:02 PM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Ed_Morris
08/26/14 09:58 PM
The Karate punch
by Ed_Morris
08/26/14 09:27 PM
Chum Kiu 2nd section applications
by futsaowingchun
08/20/14 09:54 PM
2013 World Championship Rio: The Gallery (HD)
by ergees
08/19/14 05:22 AM
attacked from behind
by AndyLA
08/16/14 04:59 PM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by VDJ
08/15/14 05:46 PM
Forum Stats
22911 Members
36 Forums
35573 Topics
432484 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#146712 - 05/23/05 09:07 PM Re: Wing Chun vs. Hung gar? [Re: BaguaMonk]
plantadecara Offline
Stranger

I practice karate,combat wing chun, capoeira, wushu, escrima, muay thai, bo staff, kama, and iado/kenjutsu. what you said about wing chun can be true but I like the art, it shows how to defend against alot of moves and is an extraordinarily fast art. It shows you how to get your opponents guard out of the way blast them in the face and then (this is combat wing chun by the way that is blended with juijutsu) take them to the ground and finish the fight then again, I have blended combat wing chun karate, and a little ground fighting to make a more all around art so I might not be the best source for information on this subject

#146713 - 05/23/05 09:59 PM Re: Wing Chun vs. Hung gar? [Re: plantadecara]
Strider_Hanzo Offline

Loc: Norwalk, CA 90650
not to get things off track but... what's the difference between combat wing chun and traditional wing chun?

#146714 - 05/23/05 11:01 PM Re: Wing Chun vs. Hung gar? [Re: monji112000]
DrAgOnPuNcH Offline

Loc: Staten Island aka Shaolin, NYC
A little background on myself, I am turning 26 in a month n a half...have taken tae kwon do for about 3 years, years ago...I am in decent shape, lift weights and do cardio...

The wing chun school i was lookin at is very street fighting oriented, full contact sparring... http://www.sifugrados.com/

The hung ga school i was lookin at is http://www.fonghungga.com/

Not sure wut style of kung fu, this is but here is another school http://www.shaolinkungfutemple.com/index1.html

Basically wut i am lookin for is an effective method to defend myself, increase agility and flexibility, and increase my fitness level...

I want a mix of art and combat. I want the combat aspect in that i want to be able to use it to defend myself (don't wanna be all show and no go) and i also want to have fluid beautiful technique (which is why i picked kung fu to begin with intead of muay thai or any of the other various "hard" systems)

#146715 - 05/24/05 01:05 PM Re: Wing Chun vs. Hung gar? [Re: DrAgOnPuNcH]
monji112000 Offline

If you are interested in Forms and animal styles Hung Gar is very good. Some WC are very combat intense.. while others arn't. The only way really see if a style or school is for you.. you must try it out.

http://www.wingchunkalisystems.com/
http://www.wingchunnyc.com/

Si-Gung Duncan Leung has a Disciple in Manhattan named Raul Zapata and he teaches privately.He trained with Si-Gung Duncan Leung back in the 70's in 3 Great Jone Street

#146716 - 05/26/05 04:09 AM Re: Wing Chun vs. Hung gar? [Re: plantadecara]
BaguaMonk Offline

Loc: DALLAS TX BABY
Unfortunately, as many modern MMA's and MA's have discovered, alot of WC schools aren't very good. Even the "combat" oriented ones, often get grounded by MMA's or grapplers. I prefer Hung Gar, as long as they spar, and retain its real martial principles.

#146717 - 05/26/05 04:29 AM Re: Wing Chun vs. Hung gar? [Re: BaguaMonk]
Strider_Hanzo Offline

Loc: Norwalk, CA 90650
So is Hung Gar is any better at staving off people who try to get you to the ground?? What is Hung Gar's focus and method to fighting? I'm now curious i was thinking of taking Wing Chun after college. Any info about Hung Gar will be greatly appreciated.

#146718 - 05/26/05 09:46 AM Re: Wing Chun vs. Hung gar? [Re: Strider_Hanzo]
monji112000 Offline

You must realize that every art has at least a 50-60% Bullsh*T factor.

50-60% of every fighter of every MA/MMA/ any art is not worth anything at that art. Well maybe not worth anything is a little harsh but they aren't very good at it. (for many many reasons)

To say that WC or “Combat oriented” or “traditional” or “Applied” WC isn't capable of handling ground fighting is really crap.
( must people add names to their style? Why not call it something else?)

I know personally a couple Fighters who competed in King of the Ring (NHB comp) and did very well against Ground fighters. I know people who Cross train with WC. So to say that XYZ style can't handle a grappler. no its the fighter who can or can't. Chinese Martial arts have normally not been introduced to ground fighting.

The fact is if you don't train heavily for fighting you will not be able to fight.
MOST Kung FU schools don't do enough fighting.
I have taken Hung Gar for 8 Years.. They don't train to fight(JMO). I am not saying all Hung Gar doesn't, but most don't put enough. Yes we did basic training, but nothing like what I am doing in WC currently. Hung Gar is about Animal forms , Chi Kung and Iron Palm.

I would call every style of WC/Hung Gar /BJJ ect.. BS until you see someone fight with it. In real street "style" situations, if they seem realistic.. then I would say they train very heavy on fighting. My normal class training 80%-90% of class on full contact fighting.

Just to make a point.. Hung Gar has Just as much chance against a ground fighter as WC. These styles were not created with Ground fighting as a real threat. It is up to fighters today to take what they have and FIND in their style viable solutions to the new problems. (JMO)

#146719 - 05/27/05 06:00 PM Re: Wing Chun vs. Hung gar? [Re: DrAgOnPuNcH]
BaguaMonk Offline

I think WC is great for cross training, or becoming/adding as a foundation. Its just that in my experience, over the past few years, WC has gotten alot of bad rep due to the lack of results and sometimes its image. Often times if you find sparring clips its just two young kids, (or adults) rabbit punching eachother and kicking wildly. I've seen some very good WC though, but usually its from people who dedicate their lives to it. Personally, I'm going to add some basic WC skills to my repetoire later, but it depends on what your aim and objective is. Main reason for me would be to gain sticky striking skills (I do sticky push hands), and quickyness at the medium range. If your going to take WC as solely a fighting art, then cross train or at least don't be restricted by it. If you want a recreational thing, I think Hung Gar would be for me. Every movement in it is pretty much chi gong, it has extensive external chi gong, weapons, and forms, as well as some pretty intense sparring (with right school). Also, Hung Gar is a bit more rare (the good stuff at least), while WC schools seem to be popping up everywhere, from traditionalists to the uber "combat" schools.

Beware of WC schools that promise you will learn the ultiamte fighting art. And obviously any other MA for that matter. I think there has to be a good balance between the fighting aspects, and the other aspects. If its pure contact, there is both advantages and disadvantages. Alot of WC guys have gotten beaten by others because they expect the match to be a WC striking match, and end up getting taken down abruptly. I'm just talking from the ones that have actually been in FC competitions. But there are some good schools out there. Honestly, I could care less about winning competitions, so I train for my own personal acceleration and ways of achieving goals. Its completely up to what you want.

Edited by BaguaMonk (05/27/05 06:08 PM)

#146720 - 06/08/05 10:21 AM Re: Wing Chun vs. Hung gar? [Re: BaguaMonk]
Gorgor Offline

Hi,
I'm doing Hung gar and know very little about WC(only that most of the WC clubs seems to me McDojos - in my area).DragonPunch , I dont know how many kicks WC has but your statement that HG involves more kicks might be wrong because HG has only 3-4kicks at all. HG is highly focused on firm low stances and hand strikes. If you wanna to defend yourself in a short time I must tell you that HG is not about that(dunno whether WS is). But HG is really complex style which can be done for the whole life, its one of the tradition kf styles that are not changed into gymnastic by chinese goverment in past like most shaolin kf which are tought nowdays.
I'm fond of HG so my aspect of view is distorted but HG rulezzzz!!!:-))

#146721 - 06/09/05 04:52 PM Re: Wing Chun vs. Hung gar? [Re: Gorgor]
BaguaMonk Offline

Yeah, HG has kicks still is what I meant. Its certainly not a northern art, but its got a few. I agree though, alot of Shaolin history/knowledge/teaching is distorted, I realized you have to fill in the gaps through your own research and self-discovery. So much garbage out there...

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Cord, Gavin, JasonM, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Fight Videos
Night club fight footage and street fights captured with the world's first bouncer spy cam

How to Matrix!
Learn ten times faster with new training method. Learn entire arts for as little as $10 per disk.

Self Defense
Stun guns, pepper spray, Mace and self defense products. Alarms for personal and home use.

TASER MC26C
Stop An Urban Gorilla: Get 2 FREE TASER M26C Replacement Air Cartridges With Each New TASER M26C!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga