FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 19 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
sunny, swordy, jerrybarry24, SenseiGregT, sagat
22914 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Ed_Morris 4
futsaowingchun 3
Zombie Zero 2
AndyLA 2
ergees 2
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
New Topics
STX Kickboxing Seminar
by Marcus Charles
09/09/14 06:57 PM
Biu Tzu- 1st section applications
by futsaowingchun
09/05/14 10:56 PM
2014 World Championships Chelyabinsk: The Gallery
by ergees
09/01/14 03:51 AM
Biu Tzu- Snake hand strike
by futsaowingchun
08/27/14 09:02 PM
Chum Kiu 2nd section applications
by futsaowingchun
08/20/14 09:54 PM
2013 World Championship Rio: The Gallery (HD)
by ergees
08/19/14 05:22 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
mindfullness meditation
by
01/06/09 11:27 AM
Recent Posts
** Introduce Yourself! **
by Zombie Zero
Yesterday at 04:43 PM
Eugue Ryu
by kolslaw
09/12/14 03:35 PM
attacked from behind
by AndyLA
09/07/14 07:01 PM
Biu Tzu- 1st section applications
by futsaowingchun
09/05/14 10:56 PM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
09/02/14 06:26 PM
2014 World Championships Chelyabinsk: The Gallery
by ergees
09/01/14 03:51 AM
mindfullness meditation
by log1call
08/31/14 09:43 PM
Biu Tzu- Snake hand strike
by futsaowingchun
08/27/14 09:02 PM
The Karate punch
by Ed_Morris
08/26/14 09:27 PM
Chum Kiu 2nd section applications
by futsaowingchun
08/20/14 09:54 PM
Forum Stats
22914 Members
36 Forums
35575 Topics
432492 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 5 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#146289 - 07/20/05 10:02 PM Re: cant do nething against my friend that is 280 [Re: csinca]
eyrie Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: QLD, Australia
3... but who's counting?

C'mon I'm itching to swap notes....

#146290 - 07/31/05 07:29 PM Re: cant do nething against my friend that is 280 lbz [Re: Ninjasaurus]
AttorneyJohn Offline

Loc: Houston Texas
You are doing judo with your friend, but that's OK. Remember, with him being a football player, he isn't exactly a novice at the principles of judo, either, as neither are you from aikido.

You said the magic words, by the way. Off balance. You have to break his balance to effectively do a technique against someone much larger. When you get it, then you will be able to do things much easier to him than before. But, if he isn't going to just let you tip him over, then you really ought to give some thought to the lines of his feet, and the perpendiculars between them. Front or back, right between his feet, and remember, you are supposed to "Push when you're pulled, and pull when you are pushed."

#146291 - 08/04/05 04:03 AM Re: cant do nething against my friend that is 280 lbz [Re: Ninjasaurus]
xuzen_628 Offline
Unknown MA champion

Loc: Malaysia
Quote:

Re: cant do nething against my friend that is 280 lbz

Ask him to slim down... then wrestle again.

Boon.

#146292 - 08/04/05 02:39 PM Re: cant do nething against my friend that is 280 [Re: csinca]
Ubermint Offline

Quote:

Takedowns are very different against someone that does not want to engage versus someone that is intent to engage either in striking or grappling.

So...if you're not striking...and you're not grappling...how are you fighting? In order to physically defend yourself you have to strike or grapple.

People who want to stay standing up are the easiest to take down. Their insistence on trying to root themselves in a stance or dance around lightfooted offbalances them even more.
The highest percentage shot defense (sprawling) involves abandoning your balance and dropping your hips to the ground.

#146293 - 08/04/05 03:03 PM Re: cant do nething against my friend that is 280 [Re: Ubermint]
WarriorOfLuv Offline

I think a shot is most effective when it is set up with punch combinations. By the time you punch an experienced aikido player, however, he will be out of the line of the attack and outside the shot's range. An effective shot against an aikido player would just be a spontaneous one that would catch an aikido player off guard. In that case, a good understanding of ma'ai (combat distance) would help. Like what most aikidoka would do, preventing a close attacking distance would be most advisable in defending against an experience wrestler.

This is too much theory though. Why don't you practise some of these shots on an experienced aikidoka and see how effective aikido is against shootfighters?

#146294 - 08/04/05 07:56 PM Re: cant do nething against my friend that is 280 [Re: WarriorOfLuv]
csinca Offline
former moderator

Loc: Southern California
Quote:

I think a shot is most effective when it is set up with punch combinations. By the time you punch an experienced aikido player, however, he will be out of the line of the attack and outside the shot's range. An effective shot against an aikido player would just be a spontaneous one that would catch an aikido player off guard. In that case, a good understanding of ma'ai (combat distance) would help. Like what most aikidoka would do, preventing a close attacking distance would be most advisable in defending against an experience wrestler.

This is too much theory though. Why don't you practise some of these shots on an experienced aikidoka and see how effective aikido is against shootfighters?

If the experience level is anywhere close to equal in this experiment I've gotta put my money on the shootfighter.

Chris

#146295 - 08/04/05 10:02 PM Re: cant do nething against my friend that is 280 [Re: csinca]
glad2bhere Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Lindenhurst, Illinois USA
Sorry, but I see this dynamic at least once a semester.

A student comes back to me complaining that a Hapkido technique does not work but ultimately admits that they did not perform the technique as was taught in class out of fear of hurting the partner. I have seen this over and over again.

In TMA we practice a variety of "nasty techniques" but the fact of the matter is that a technique will only be as "nasty" as a person is willing to make it. Learning to kick a person in the throat is of no avail if the person, as the appropriate time is reluctant to perform the ncessary kick and target the appropriate part of the throat.

This seems to be just another case of "I wonder if this stuff works" albeit invited by someone who feels that size should make a difference. Size makes a difference where decelleration is a factor. Otherwise striking someone in the eye or throat is going to be remarkably consistent across a range of people. The question is whether or not the person who started this thread is willing to lose a friend who will undoubtedly take exception to being struck meaningfully in response to his challenge. FWIW.

Best Wishes,

Bruce

#146296 - 08/04/05 11:19 PM Re: cant do nething against my friend that is 280 [Re: glad2bhere]
eyrie Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: QLD, Australia
The difference between play and real is very real. Bruce is talking about fight as reality, where most people talk about fight as play.

In play, the odds of anyone gaining the advantage are even. In a real life or death engagement, the person who loses, dies (or is hurt badly). It's as simple as that.

In the end there is only training and what you put into it. Beyond that, "tests" of effectiveness mean nothing unless you're prepared to kill (or be killed).

The question is not are you prepared to be hurt today, but are you prepared to die today. Big difference. Otherwise, it's just play.

#146297 - 08/05/05 02:27 AM Re: cant do nething against my friend that is 280 [Re: WarriorOfLuv]
Ubermint Offline

Quote:

And that is exactly where you are wrong. By the time you are in distance to strike, you are in distance to shoot.

Quote:

Did it already at the austin mcthrowdown. Wanna send me another one?

#146298 - 08/05/05 09:58 AM Re: cant do nething against my friend that is 280 [Re: Ubermint]
WarriorOfLuv Offline

1) I don't see how "when your in a distance to strike, you are in a distance to shoot" has to do anything with what I said.

2) Yep. YOu always bring up the Throwdown, hedgehogey. Somehow though I'm still not convinced. Want to keep trying?

Page 5 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  Ames, Cord, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Self Defense
Offering stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and other self defense products not available in stores.

Pepper Spray
Online distributor of self defense supplies like videos, stun guns, Tasers and more.

Spy Cameras
Surveillance, Hidden Cameras, Nanny Cams, Digital Recorders, Spy Equipment, Pocket DVR's and more

Stun Gun
Wholesale Directlhy to the Public! Stun gun and Taser Guns and personal protection products. Keep your loved ones at home safe!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga