FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 41 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
old1, Leonar, ManLar, Vimido, raya
22925 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
futsaowingchun 4
Ronin1966 3
GojuRyuboy13 2
AndyLA 1
cxt 1
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
New Topics
The Classic Pak Sao drill
by futsaowingchun
10/20/14 10:32 AM
wing chun kicks and knees
by futsaowingchun
10/09/14 12:55 AM
2014 European Championships Juniors: the Gallery
by ergees
10/05/14 10:56 AM
Tan,Bong,Fuk & Wu Sao
by futsaowingchun
09/30/14 12:10 AM
Living a full life violence free...
by GojuRyuboy13
09/25/14 08:50 AM
Wing Chun-internal training
by futsaowingchun
09/23/14 09:01 PM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Leo's Judo Journal
by Leo_E_49
01/24/12 02:58 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by
05/13/07 08:02 AM
Recent Posts
Living a full life violence free...
by GojuRyuboy13
Yesterday at 07:20 AM
The Classic Pak Sao drill
by futsaowingchun
10/20/14 10:32 AM
Leo's Judo Journal
by swordy
10/11/14 09:21 AM
The Karate punch
by Ronin1966
10/09/14 03:16 PM
wing chun kicks and knees
by futsaowingchun
10/09/14 12:55 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Ronin1966
10/08/14 09:22 PM
2014 European Championships Juniors: the Gallery
by ergees
10/05/14 10:56 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by AndyLA
10/04/14 10:20 AM
Tan,Bong,Fuk & Wu Sao
by futsaowingchun
09/30/14 12:10 AM
Wing Chun-internal training
by futsaowingchun
09/23/14 09:01 PM
Forum Stats
22925 Members
36 Forums
35582 Topics
432510 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#146115 - 05/23/05 02:02 PM Re: Last Legend Katana? [Re: V34]
Kusarigama Offline

There is a Suio Ryu Study Group in Providence, Rhode Island.

For information on Suio Ryu Iai Kenpo in the United States, please see the Suio Ryu Iai Kenpo USA Shibu website, which is officially sanctioned by Katsuse Yoshimitsu Sensei, the 15th Generation Headmaster:

http://suioryu-usa.org/

#146116 - 05/24/05 09:02 AM Re: Last Legend Katana? [Re: V34]
V34 Offline

Loc: USA
Well after many, many weeks of research between Paul Chen, Bugei, Cold Steel and Last Legend I have made my decision.
I have read many articles and have seen many comparison pics of all these swords. I have come to a fact given conclusion that Last Lagend is the best of them all. I first started with the tangs on all of these swords. Last legend is the only one that increases the tang size and it does not come to a taper with different lengths tsuka's. Next I looked at is blade geometry. Last legend Is no as conventional in design but very well thought out. Next I looked at they way the tsuka's were mounted. Last Legend Uses 3 mekugi's instead of just 2, and they are angled the same method used in conventional katana's. Next I looked at the Same'(Ray Skin) Bugei and Paul Chen use strips to wrap their Katana's Last Legend and Cold Steel uses a full wrap.
Weight and balance came into play and they all seemed pretty close.One this that I also liked was the warranty life time warranty against any breakage. One more thing to add is that these are not mass produced, they are all made by hand and there is only 400 made per different style produced. In conclusion Last Legend came out way on top compared to the other's. Again this is my research that I have been doing for a long time before I spend my $1000.00.

#146117 - 05/24/05 10:56 AM Re: Last Legend Katana? [Re: V34]
Walter Wong Offline

Loc: Boston, Massachusetts, United ...
Hold off on buying a sword til you start actually training. I see you decided you may come to www.bostoniaido.com
I train there. And it'll be best if you come meet us and speak with our sensei bout Last Legends and whichever other company to buy swords from. I'm not sure what his take on Last Legend is at the moment and it would be a waste of money if you order one and he doesn't approve of it.

Also about the 3 mekugi pin deal, there's so much more to keeping the blade in the handle, how it's properly done and etc.
First you're just looking at the marketing explainations of the swords of the reputable companies you are looking at. That does not teach what is actually necessary in a sword. You should research Japanese swords through books, the procedures done to make Japanese swords, and all the little details that make a good sword. Of course Last Legend, Bugei and etc. will say the positive sides to what is so great about their swords. But they are not teaching in their advertisement everything you need to know.

If you saw a car commercial that told you their cars are built with 5 wheels instead of the usual 4 that most companies make, does that make that car better? Is it excessive?

The ideal way to know is to know more about cars and the kind of cars that car companies make out there before making your purchase and not base it on their advertisement.

So don't jump to conclusions yet. I'm not trying to put Last Legends down. But don't base what you read in a company's advertisement to help you determine what sword is better for you. You study bout swords and become sword educated then you know what you should buy. You study about cars so you become car educated to know what is better car for you to buy. You should never rely on just advertisement.

The kind of car you buy should fit the type of driving you do.

The kind of sword you buy should fit they type of sword training you do. You must first join a sword school and from there the best type of sword to fit your training will be more obvious.

I look foward to meeting you when you come by www.bostoniaido.com for a visit. We can definitely talk more bout swords then.

#146118 - 05/24/05 11:53 AM Re: Last Legend Katana? [Re: Walter Wong]
V34 Offline

Thank you for your opinions. I am soo happy that I found this forum. It lets me get the proper information about whatever I need. ANd it also gives me different opinions
on many things in martial arts. As far as my research goes.
One of the best articles was from sword forum international.
They talked about a few swords, Bugei, Last Legend, Cold Steel, and another kind that I forgot the name. I have read repeatedly about different swords and ways they are made and just from what I gather LL is the best. I will try to wait as long as I can but also being a sword collector I may just buy one anyway!! And then buy another Katana!! Oh ya!! I love SWORDS!!!!!!

#146119 - 05/26/05 12:57 PM Re: Last Legend Katana? [Re: Charles Mahan]
V34 Offline

Quote:

Well... I don't know quite what to say about Steve Crowther. There is almost no information on his website about what he trains in, who his instructors were, who awarded his 5th dan, nothing. That's not usually a good sign. I'm not saying he's bad or anything, there's just not much available information for him. I checked google and didn't turn up much either.

The information available at this address http://s106679294.websitehome.co.uk/dvd.htm makes it apparent that he's basically created his own style.

Now there is good news since your in Massachusettes. Boston is home to no less than two Muso Jikiden Eishin Ryu Iaido instructors. Cuoung Nguyen is a sandan in the Canadian Iaido Association, which is a daughter organization of the Zen Nippon Iaido Renmei. I've met him. He has a lot to offer as an instructor. Nice guy to boot. Warren Stanley-sensei is a Rokudan Renshi and student of Honami-sensei, who I understand was just awarded his Ninth-dan. Stanley-sensei's ranks come through the Zen Nippon Iaido Renmei. I have met him as well. His Iai is outstanding. He's probably the top MJER guy in your neck of the woods. Certainly within the ZNIR/Seitokai branch of MJER .

Now to clear things up a little The MJER Seitokai is the organization led by Ikeda-soke, 22nd leader of the style. The Zen Nippon Iaido Renmei(All Japan Iaido Federation) is an umbrella organization consisting of the MJER Seitokai and members of several iaido ryu-ha. Both organizations are rather large in Japan.

You can get in touch with Nguyen-sensei through http://www.bostoniaido.com To get in touch with Stanley-sensei send me an email. He doesn't have any online presence, but I can put you in touch with one of his students.

I have found what his style means. This definition was taken from another Japanese swords arts training school.
Battojutsu is the art of drawing and cutting in one fluid motion for the purpose of ending a conflict with one decisive cut

#146120 - 05/26/05 01:04 PM Re: Last Legend Katana? [Re: V34]
Charles Mahan Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Denton, Tx, USA
Battojutsu is not a style. It's a type. For instance, Karate is a type. There are many styles of karate. Some goofy some good. Some brand new some very old. Jujutsu is another type. Kenjutsu. Etc. These are supersets of styles not styles.

Toyama Ryu would be a style of Battojutsu. Uechi Ryu would be a style of Karate.

Battojutsu doesn't really tell you anything about what his style is or where his stuff comes from.

#146121 - 05/27/05 12:08 PM Re: Last Legend Katana? [Re: Charles Mahan]
V34 Offline

Thank you for the explanation. How long have you been practicing martial arts?

#146122 - 06/16/06 08:43 AM Re: Last Legend Katana? [Re: V34]
Sethius Offline
Stranger

i know this is a bumped thread but NO NO NO AND NO AGAIN!

steve crowther IS NOT A GO DAN, it says "steve crowther was awarded a go-dan by sensei ansell kyoshi" i'd like to state that i have met dave ansell and he did not award him this, i have met and studied with dave ansell and i'm part of the KENSEI KAI which steve rips off. you'll notice (if you have ever studied iaido) that his stuff is the biggest load of bull! please do not claim it's "great" when i met steve he tied the hakama around his neck. if he's a go-dan i'm a hachi-dan hanshi!!

for example, will the people who study iaido or other sword arts look at his clips and realise what a load of tripe it is!

http://s106679294.websitehome.co.uk/dvd.htm

Edited by Sethius (06/16/06 08:46 AM)

#146123 - 06/16/06 08:52 AM Re: Last Legend Katana? [Re: V34]
Sethius Offline
Stranger

Quote:

Thanks you all for your advice. But to get back to the original question. Your opinions on Last Legend Katana's.
I am looking at further training for the sword arts (katana) and welcome everyones expertise and advice. As
Far as that Steve Crowther goes he is very good at what
he does and he is a very kind person. People who judge
his small clips that he has on his web-site shouldn't
and as I can see can't judge his knowledge off of 3 small
video clips. I did buy his dvd and it has taught me different things that I can use. But after all it is a dvd
and not one on one training. And like I said I am taking it upon my self to dive as deep as possible into the way of the samurai. My Sensai doesn't get as invlolved as I would like and every great martial artist should have many forms of the arts. I look at it like this. Anyone that is willing to teach someone there knowledge can offer someone at least one valuable lesson. Sorry I rambled on. Anyways Last Legend Katan's?

no he is not good at what he does. we brought over mano-sensei from japan and he spent 2 days ignoring him, then had the gall to pose in a picture with him and claim mano was saying he thought he was the best swordsman there. you may have met steve and think he's a "nice guy" but he knows nothing of iaido and is to ignorant to start from teh bottom learn and get the grades, he just wants to be a title from teh start. if you want to know more, pm me and i'll talk to you about him in real time, with the real truth

#146124 - 06/16/06 09:53 AM Re: Last Legend Katana? [Re: V34]
Charles Mahan Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Denton, Tx, USA
Quote:

Thank you for the explanation. How long have you been practicing martial arts?

Sorry. I missed this before. I start my 10th year of MJER this month.

Ack. I've fallen victim to a year old thread resurection. As for Steven Crowther, I think we covered him pretty well already in this thread. The videos on his site, particularly the last one, are... interesting to say the least.

Edited by Charles Mahan (06/16/06 09:57 AM)

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Charles Mahan, Cord, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Self Defense
Offering stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and other self defense products not available in stores.

Pepper Spray
Online distributor of self defense supplies like videos, stun guns, Tasers and more.

Spy Cameras
Surveillance, Hidden Cameras, Nanny Cams, Digital Recorders, Spy Equipment, Pocket DVR's and more

Stun Gun
Wholesale Directlhy to the Public! Stun gun and Taser Guns and personal protection products. Keep your loved ones at home safe!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga