FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 40 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
old1, Leonar, ManLar, Vimido, raya
22925 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
futsaowingchun 4
Ronin1966 3
GojuRyuboy13 2
Matakiant 1
cxt 1
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
New Topics
The Classic Pak Sao drill
by futsaowingchun
10/20/14 10:32 AM
wing chun kicks and knees
by futsaowingchun
10/09/14 12:55 AM
2014 European Championships Juniors: the Gallery
by ergees
10/05/14 10:56 AM
Tan,Bong,Fuk & Wu Sao
by futsaowingchun
09/30/14 12:10 AM
Living a full life violence free...
by GojuRyuboy13
09/25/14 08:50 AM
Wing Chun-internal training
by futsaowingchun
09/23/14 09:01 PM
Martial News
by Matakiant
09/23/14 06:42 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Leo's Judo Journal
by Leo_E_49
01/24/12 02:58 AM
Recent Posts
Living a full life violence free...
by GojuRyuboy13
Yesterday at 07:20 AM
The Classic Pak Sao drill
by futsaowingchun
10/20/14 10:32 AM
Leo's Judo Journal
by swordy
10/11/14 09:21 AM
The Karate punch
by Ronin1966
10/09/14 03:16 PM
wing chun kicks and knees
by futsaowingchun
10/09/14 12:55 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Ronin1966
10/08/14 09:22 PM
2014 European Championships Juniors: the Gallery
by ergees
10/05/14 10:56 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by AndyLA
10/04/14 10:20 AM
Tan,Bong,Fuk & Wu Sao
by futsaowingchun
09/30/14 12:10 AM
Wing Chun-internal training
by futsaowingchun
09/23/14 09:01 PM
Forum Stats
22925 Members
36 Forums
35582 Topics
432510 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#146125 - 06/17/06 09:45 AM Re: Last Legend Katana? [Re: Charles Mahan]
schanne Offline
breaks things

Loc: Woodbury NJ
Charles, clipp 4 shows Mr. Crowther tapping the top of his tsuka with his fist. I'm not interested in bashing him but was wondering if the action was considerd "chiburui" or is he checking for loose parts, just kidding.

Edited by schanne (06/17/06 02:39 PM)

#146126 - 06/18/06 03:16 PM Re: Last Legend Katana? [Re: V34]
swordsman5 Offline
Stranger

Loc: Watford, Herts, England
Quote:

Honestly I am training in Massachusetts and in my dojo we don't get very involved with the Katana. It is mostly Bo, Sai and Chuk's. A little Katana. I have been a sword collector for a long time and have taken upon my self to get all the education that I can. So I did some research and found Steve Crowther a 5th dan and has made a great training dvd. He has his own Dojo called Kensei Kai.It is located in England. I talked with him on the phone and he sent me his dvd. I am the first in the USA to get this training dvd. Here is the link if you want to check it out. He is also going to send me his dvd's that he is making to futher broaden my knowledge and my Kata's. Here is the link.
http://s106679294.websitehome.co.uk/index.html

I have had the misfortune to have dealings with Mr Crowther. He has a picture of him standing there with Mano Sensei at a seminar we held last year. He spent the entire time ignoring everything that Mano Sensei tried to teach him, I have e-mailed Dave Ansell, the person he claims to have got his grade from, and Dave is most displeased at having that there as the man is worth about a Go-Kyu!!! Incidentally TWICE this year Steve Crowther has ended up in hospital trying to perform a reverse Tsuki using Shinken... The first time he rammed the kissaki into his left forearm and then when he felt resistance pushed it right through and out of the back of his upper arm, this kept him out of the dojo for quite a few weeks. About a fortnight after he had resumed "training" he did exactly the same thing only this time it was only through his left Bicep!!!!

#146127 - 06/18/06 11:57 PM Re: Last Legend Katana? [Re: swordsman5]
iaibear Offline
Veteran

Loc: upstate New York
<< The first time he rammed the kissaki into his left forearm and then when he felt resistance pushed it right through and out of the back of his upper arm, >>
Maybe I have been taken in by scam. The opinions I have been given about the sharpness of a good shinken make this one sound rather dull.

#146128 - 06/22/06 10:33 AM Re: Last Legend Katana? [Re: iaibear]
V34 Offline

Loc: USA
Man I can't believe that I thought this guy was the real deal. I was an idiot. Now that I have been training in MJER
for 8 months or so, maybe 7months I can pick this guy apart.
I still haven't tested for ranking yet. I won't test until
January of 2007. I have now started my own biz making custom
koshirae and am starting to learn every aspect of MJER.
I got to tell ya, noto still frustrates me. Sometimes I do
it great others not so great. Anyways Steve would not match
up with many sensei that I have seen.I got the oppertunity
to go to NY this year and also visited Ken Zen Dojo.
I have never had soooo much help with everything from so
many different Sensei's. I ever got to learn from
Kato Sensei and Hooper Sensei. Don't know if you guys know them, But it was VERY educational. Steve Crowther on the
other hand will just teach you to get hurt..
Check out my web site when you have a chance.

www.warriorkoshirae.com

Later,
V34

#146129 - 06/22/06 03:55 PM Re: Last Legend Katana? [Re: V34]
Charles Mahan Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Denton, Tx, USA
I know Ken Zen by reputation only, but it's a pretty good rep.

#146130 - 06/22/06 07:17 PM Re: Last Legend Katana? [Re: V34]
iaibear Offline
Veteran

Loc: upstate New York
I had the pleasure of meeting Hooper Sensei several years ago at a major seminar in Manhattan when Nakanichi Sensei was visiting. I hope I spelled the gentleman's name correctly. That was over ten years ago. He was quite elderly at the time but could still hold his own at Kendo.

#146131 - 09/01/06 07:43 AM Re: Last Legend Katana? [Re: V34]
Woku Offline

Hmm, that sounds fishy to me, I charge 200 american for my classes, in america anyhow. You get what you pay for, classes that cheap, well, I would not expect very much. Doesn't mean it nmight not be good, but most dojo's only teach weapons as an addendum to Karate or some other empty hand stlye, which is where the gravy is after all. I'd be cautious if I were you.

#146132 - 09/01/06 09:37 AM Re: Last Legend Katana? [Re: Woku]
Charles Mahan Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Denton, Tx, USA
That only proves you are price gouging. Every so often on the forums there is a poll of traditional JSA instructors. Prices for monthly dues range anywhere from free to about $100 on the upper end. The more expensive places invariably have a physical building of some sort to pay rent on or they would be cheaper. The cheaper places are usually practicing out of a community center or something.

I train under the senior guy in the Seitokai branch of the Muso Jikiden Eishin Ryu Seitokai, which is to say the branch led by Ikeda Takashi-soke(22). Sensei is a Nanadan Kyoshi and been practicing since 1980. He spent the first 10 years of his training in Chiba training directly under a student of Fukui Torao-soke(21). He's been teachin in Denton, Tx for 10 years and offers up to 5 classes a week which adds up to about 6 and a half hours of mat time a week. Senior students also have a key to the dojo and are welcome to come down and train whenever we have free time. We have our own storefront just of the town square. Sensei could charge considerably more, but his rates are pretty low. $60 a month for non-university students and $50 a month for students. That's it. Even the big seminars gather donations that are south of $100 for the entire weekend.

Most of the folks who practice a genuine style, aren't doing it for a living. They aren't even doing it for extra income. They are generally only charging to cover the bills of running the dojo. There are exceptions to the rule of course. A handful are out there doing it for a living, but they don't come anywhere near $200 a month.

There is no need to fear KenZen. They are a well known and respected establishment. I think you might be suprised at how many traditional JSA dojos exist in the US. It is a small number compared to karate and tkd to be sure, but it's not unusual to find one or two real koryu training oppurtunities in most major cities. Heck all the big cities in Texas have at least one genuine koryu training oppurtunity connected to dojos in Japan. And Texas isn't exactly a hotbed of Japanese immigration.

Edited by Charles Mahan (09/01/06 09:54 AM)

#146133 - 01/25/07 07:41 PM Re: Last Legend Katana? [Re: V34]
WaNy Offline
Stranger

Loc: Chicago, IL
Is the Paul Chen 1204 Tiger Katana any good? How about in comparison to the last legend?

#146134 - 01/25/07 08:01 PM Re: Last Legend Katana? [Re: WaNy]
WaNy Offline
Stranger

Loc: Chicago, IL
OK So I missed the end part of the thread. This is my first time on this forum so plz don't get too mad at me for not sticking with the conversation. Anyhooz, I am interested in buying a nice sword. At first, I was settling for silly fantasy swords, but then I started thinking...why not take a class? I'll buy myself a nice sword and then take the class so that I have an incentive to finish my training and learn how to properly use the sword. I was thinking of purchasing the Tiger Katana (Roughly $840). Is there anything else that you guys would recommend to me that is around that price range? Going over the $1000 mark seems to be a little overboard for someone who doesn't even know how to hold a sword properly. I was checking out the Last Legend from this post, and I am confused as to what means what and how the two compare to eachother. Last legend has a nice warranty policy and I cannot seem to find the policy for Paul Chen swords. Thanks to all.

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Charles Mahan, Cord, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Fight Videos
Night club fight footage and street fights captured with the world's first bouncer spy cam

How to Matrix!
Learn ten times faster with new training method. Learn entire arts for as little as $10 per disk.

Self Defense
Stun guns, pepper spray, Mace and self defense products. Alarms for personal and home use.

TASER MC26C
Stop An Urban Gorilla: Get 2 FREE TASER M26C Replacement Air Cartridges With Each New TASER M26C!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga