FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 44 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
AndyLA, danacohenn, ksusanc, kellypnik123, leyinn
22904 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Dobbersky 14
cxt 7
trevek 6
JKogas 5
futsaowingchun 4
July
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
New Topics
Applied center line theory
by futsaowingchun
Yesterday at 08:55 AM
centerline concepts
by futsaowingchun
07/14/14 10:49 PM
language of syllabus
by trevek
07/11/14 03:36 PM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:14 AM
10 San Sik drills-Wing Chun's foundation
by futsaowingchun
06/30/14 11:20 AM
"Ip Man" and "Ip Man 2" the movies.
by TaekwonDoFan
06/30/14 11:02 AM
Anderson Silva - Leg Break
by Dobbersky
12/30/13 08:32 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
Gi or no Gi Grappling?
by Prizewriter
04/16/12 02:48 PM
MMA - A passing Fad
by Dobbersky
04/12/12 11:16 AM
Recent Posts
Gi or no Gi Grappling?
by Dobbersky
Today at 05:11 AM
Applied center line theory
by futsaowingchun
Yesterday at 08:55 AM
centerline concepts
by futsaowingchun
Yesterday at 08:53 AM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by cxt
07/24/14 11:35 AM
language of syllabus
by trevek
07/14/14 04:50 PM
MMA - A passing Fad
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:35 AM
Anderson Silva - Leg Break
by Dobbersky
07/09/14 06:13 AM
Throwing
by JKogas
07/03/14 07:40 PM
10 San Sik drills-Wing Chun's foundation
by futsaowingchun
06/30/14 11:20 AM
"Ip Man" and "Ip Man 2" the movies.
by TaekwonDoFan
06/30/14 11:02 AM
Forum Stats
22904 Members
36 Forums
35564 Topics
432455 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#146105 - 05/19/05 10:18 AM Last Legend Katana?
V34 Offline

Loc: USA
HI, I am new here and am have been practicing Kenpo and Brazilian Ju Jitsu for about 4 years. I recently started practicing C.S.-Batto Jutsu with a katana. Right now I own a Cold Steel Warrior and am thinking about buying a Last Legend Custom made folded Katana. Does anyone own one or have any info about them before I spend $1000.00 USD?

#146106 - 05/19/05 11:27 AM Re: Last Legend Katana? [Re: V34]
Charles Mahan Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Denton, Tx, USA
What is C.S. Batto-jutsu? What does your sensei say about the Last Legend stuff?

#146107 - 05/19/05 12:04 PM Re: Last Legend Katana? [Re: V34]
Walter Wong Offline

Loc: Boston, Massachusetts, United ...
Last Legend were designed for competition cutting. Competition cutting is a different emphasis from the actual combat. For actual combat, the sword should approximate the originals of ancient Japan. Last Legend swords kinda steers away from the original design slightly to compensate to do well in modern tournament style cutting. I don't have any experience with the Last Legend line personally. But this is what I gather as the pros and cons from people who hate them, love 'em, and people who actually knows Japanese sword as functional combat weapons. Well, Last Legend has a new revamped line of swords now and there's yet to be review on the new line. Most of the talk and review is about their old retired line now.

Yeah, and check with your sensei if they're ok for your training.

#146108 - 05/19/05 03:16 PM Re: Last Legend Katana? [Re: Charles Mahan]
V34 Offline

Honestly I am training in Massachusetts and in my dojo we don't get very involved with the Katana. It is mostly Bo, Sai and Chuk's. A little Katana. I have been a sword collector for a long time and have taken upon my self to get all the education that I can. So I did some research and found Steve Crowther a 5th dan and has made a great training dvd. He has his own Dojo called Kensei Kai.It is located in England. I talked with him on the phone and he sent me his dvd. I am the first in the USA to get this training dvd. Here is the link if you want to check it out. He is also going to send me his dvd's that he is making to futher broaden my knowledge and my Kata's. Here is the link.
http://s106679294.websitehome.co.uk/index.html

#146109 - 05/19/05 04:01 PM Re: Last Legend Katana? [Re: V34]
Charles Mahan Offline
Professional Poster

Well... I don't know quite what to say about Steve Crowther. There is almost no information on his website about what he trains in, who his instructors were, who awarded his 5th dan, nothing. That's not usually a good sign. I'm not saying he's bad or anything, there's just not much available information for him. I checked google and didn't turn up much either.

The information available at this address http://s106679294.websitehome.co.uk/dvd.htm makes it apparent that he's basically created his own style.

Now there is good news since your in Massachusettes. Boston is home to no less than two Muso Jikiden Eishin Ryu Iaido instructors. Cuoung Nguyen is a sandan in the Canadian Iaido Association, which is a daughter organization of the Zen Nippon Iaido Renmei. I've met him. He has a lot to offer as an instructor. Nice guy to boot. Warren Stanley-sensei is a Rokudan Renshi and student of Honami-sensei, who I understand was just awarded his Ninth-dan. Stanley-sensei's ranks come through the Zen Nippon Iaido Renmei. I have met him as well. His Iai is outstanding. He's probably the top MJER guy in your neck of the woods. Certainly within the ZNIR/Seitokai branch of MJER .

Now to clear things up a little The MJER Seitokai is the organization led by Ikeda-soke, 22nd leader of the style. The Zen Nippon Iaido Renmei(All Japan Iaido Federation) is an umbrella organization consisting of the MJER Seitokai and members of several iaido ryu-ha. Both organizations are rather large in Japan.

You can get in touch with Nguyen-sensei through http://www.bostoniaido.com To get in touch with Stanley-sensei send me an email. He doesn't have any online presence, but I can put you in touch with one of his students.

#146110 - 05/20/05 11:34 AM Re: Last Legend Katana? [Re: V34]
Walter Wong Offline

Loc: Boston, Massachusetts, United ...
I watched the videos on Steve Crowther's site of his sword work. I personally would stay away from his sword training.

Aside from the 2 Muso Jikiden Eishin Ryu Iaido dojos (I train in the dojo under Cuong Nguyen) Charles Mahan mentioned, there is another Muso Jikiden Eishin Ryu teacher in Springfield. John Deluca www.delucasmartialarts.com
http://www.delucasmartialarts.com/images.htm
He's of the Jikishin Kai branch of Muso Jikiden Eishin Ryu. He's mainly a Kenpo Karate teacher but does train in Muso Jikiden Eishin Ryu frequently and studied originally under Carl Long.

So that's 3 Muso Jikiden Eishin Ryu choices in Massachusetts. 2 of them of very similar training which Charles mentioned. This other one I'm mentioning is the same style but trained differently.

There's an Aikido school in Boston that trains Muso Shinden Ryu Iaido but they only allow their own advanced Aikido students train it. www.neaikikai.com

A place that teaches Seitei Gata Iaido in Acton http://www.doshikai.org/

So you have a few options for legitimate Japanese sword art training living in Massachusetts.

If you're willing to make the drive, there is a Suio Ryu (another Japanese sword art) group training Providence, Rhode Island. http://suioryu-usa.org/
You'll have to email them to find out bout their Providence location.

#146111 - 05/20/05 10:45 PM Re: Last Legend Katana? [Re: Walter Wong]
V34 Offline

Thanks you all for your advice. But to get back to the original question. Your opinions on Last Legend Katana's.
I am looking at further training for the sword arts (katana) and welcome everyones expertise and advice. As
Far as that Steve Crowther goes he is very good at what
he does and he is a very kind person. People who judge
his small clips that he has on his web-site shouldn't
and as I can see can't judge his knowledge off of 3 small
video clips. I did buy his dvd and it has taught me different things that I can use. But after all it is a dvd
and not one on one training. And like I said I am taking it upon my self to dive as deep as possible into the way of the samurai. My Sensai doesn't get as invlolved as I would like and every great martial artist should have many forms of the arts. I look at it like this. Anyone that is willing to teach someone there knowledge can offer someone at least one valuable lesson. Sorry I rambled on. Anyways Last Legend Katan's?

#146112 - 05/20/05 11:09 PM Re: Last Legend Katana? [Re: V34]
Charles Mahan Offline
Professional Poster

What about the training oppurtunities that we have provided for you? Any of them close enough for you to join?

#146113 - 05/21/05 11:01 AM Re: Last Legend Katana? [Re: Charles Mahan]
V34 Offline

YES! Most definately! I thank you all. I am probably going to attend Boston Iaido. I went on their web-site and was totally shocked on the price for classes per month. I pay $80.00 a month for my Kenpo and Ju jitsu classes. And to my amazement they are $45.00 a month, YA ONLY $45.00 A MONTH!!
Thank you all!! So no one has an opinion on Last Legend?

Quote:

What about the training oppurtunities that we have provided for you? Any of them close enough for you to join?

Edited by V34 (05/21/05 11:04 AM)

#146114 - 05/21/05 01:02 PM Re: Last Legend Katana? [Re: V34]
Stony Offline

I have one of the early Last Legend swords, one of their Shogun series. I am very happy with it.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Charles Mahan, Cord, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Ryukyu Art
Artifacts from the Ryukyu Kingdom missing since WWII. Visit www.ShisaLion.Org to view pictures

Best Stun Guns
Self Defense Products-stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and more

Surveillance 4U
Complete surveillance systems for covert operations or secure installation security

Asylum Images
Book presents photo tour of the Trans-Allegany Lunatic Asylum. A must if you're going to take a ghost tour!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga