FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 26 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SenseiGregT, sagat, JFawkes, pluckysaga39, sgtdemeo
22911 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
AndyLA 5
Dobbersky 5
Ed_Morris 4
ergees 3
futsaowingchun 3
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
New Topics
2014 World Championships Chelyabinsk: The Gallery
by ergees
Yesterday at 03:51 AM
Biu Tzu- Snake hand strike
by futsaowingchun
08/27/14 09:02 PM
Chum Kiu 2nd section applications
by futsaowingchun
08/20/14 09:54 PM
2013 World Championship Rio: The Gallery (HD)
by ergees
08/19/14 05:22 AM
Chi Sao demonstration
by futsaowingchun
08/14/14 10:57 PM
Decent Fight channel
by FrankyFruits
08/07/14 09:19 PM
2014 European Championships Cadets Athens: Videos
by ergees
08/07/14 10:00 AM
Life goes on....
by Dobbersky
08/07/14 05:59 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:14 AM
Recent Posts
2014 World Championships Chelyabinsk: The Gallery
by ergees
Yesterday at 03:51 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by Zombie Zero
08/29/14 10:50 PM
mindfullness meditation
by log1call
08/28/14 02:39 AM
Biu Tzu- Snake hand strike
by futsaowingchun
08/27/14 09:02 PM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Ed_Morris
08/26/14 09:58 PM
The Karate punch
by Ed_Morris
08/26/14 09:27 PM
Chum Kiu 2nd section applications
by futsaowingchun
08/20/14 09:54 PM
2013 World Championship Rio: The Gallery (HD)
by ergees
08/19/14 05:22 AM
attacked from behind
by AndyLA
08/16/14 04:59 PM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by VDJ
08/15/14 05:46 PM
Forum Stats
22911 Members
36 Forums
35573 Topics
432484 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#144980 - 05/21/05 02:33 AM Re: About Chi Balls [Re: Inuyasha]
laf7773 Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Limbo
Please pay attention to whom the post is in reply to. I was referring to keodras statements about "visible" chi balls and waves.

But while we are on the subject, please feel free to explain how not believing in chi balls of any kind "goes against all internal martial artist who ever practiced". You do realize that most people who "feel" a chi ball between their hands aren't actually feeling chi? In many cases it's simply the power of suggestion, their imagination. They feel it because they have heard other people state similar sensations and trick themselves into feeling the same thing. I could take a group of people and walk them through an exercise designed to make your legs tingle with chi and 90% of them will feel it. When actually they are only feeling a tingling sensation because they think they are supposed to. They focus on it so much they believe they feel it.

Additionally many serious IMA practitioners will tell you making chi balls has little to no impact on your training and therefore are NOT a stepping stone of any kind. Simply because they serve no real purpose. They are about as useful as a parlor trick.

#144981 - 05/21/05 05:32 AM Re: About Chi Balls [Re: Inuyasha]
BaguaMonk Offline

Loc: DALLAS TX BABY
I don't know of many internal stylists who use the words "chi blast" or "chi balls." Those are gimmicks.

#144982 - 05/21/05 08:04 AM Re: About Chi Balls [Re: laf7773]
Fisherman Offline
Veteran

Loc: Colorado, USA
Excellent post Lane!!!

I have tried to say this several times and it just doesn't come across clear enough.
This is one of the big problems I see within the IMA's being taught these days. People will think that they are feeling something that has been suggested to them as a 'chi feeling' and in reality all they are feelig is their thinking.
A lot of instructors out there don't emphasize enough that chi doesn't always feel the same between two different people or even within the same person.
IMO, people that are teaching IMA's need to just keep their yapper shut in regards to 'feeling' chi when people are just getting started. There is no sense in misguiding beginners. Just give someone the basics and help them work through it, but do NOT suggest anything to them, otherwise they think that they are a chi gong master all of a sudden.

#144983 - 05/21/05 01:13 PM Re: About Chi Balls [Re: Fisherman]
Tsurugi_Oni Offline

I sort of agree with you, as in if u tell the person what they should feel they will usually "falsify/exagerrate" an experience. When i started chi stuff i have no idea/guidance of what i was experiencing, used no visualization, just awareness. I knew what i felt was genuine... lol.

#144984 - 05/21/05 03:59 PM Re: About Chi Balls [Re: Tsurugi_Oni]
Inuyasha Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
so what is there any feeling at all?

#144985 - 05/21/05 04:40 PM Re: About Chi Balls [Re: Inuyasha]
laf7773 Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Limbo
The sensations felt vary from person to person and exercise to exercise. People don't always exaggerate or falsify what they feel, most of the time they actually do feel these sensations, but they are an effect of their imagination. This is evident in the exercise where you are supposed to "feel" a chi ball between your hands. How many times have you heard "if you stop thinking about it and choose to close your hands your can"? This is because it's only in your head. You can and will feel sensations from qigong and various other exercises but a chi ball is just a trick of the mind. There are other sensations you will feel that shouldn't be told to you. The only thing you should be told is how to perform the exercise.

My first experience was through Kempoman. He didn't tell me what to look for. He showed me how to do the exercise and after some time he asked me what changes or sensations i felt. When i told him what i felt he recognized them as results of the training and moved me forward. This is how it should be done. This is the only way to really know you are performing the exercises properly. This is also why you can NOT teach yourself IMA.

#144986 - 05/21/05 05:15 PM Re: About Chi Balls [Re: laf7773]
Reiki Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: MiddleEarth
Quote:

The sensations felt vary from person to person and exercise to exercise. People don't always exaggerate or falsify what they feel, most of the time they actually do feel these sensations, but they are an effect of their imagination. This is evident in the exercise where you are supposed to "feel" a chi ball between your hands. How many times have you heard "if you stop thinking about it and choose to close your hands your can"? This is because it's only in your head. You can and will feel sensations from qigong and various other exercises but a chi ball is just a trick of the mind. There are other sensations you will feel that shouldn't be told to you. The only thing you should be told is how to perform the exercise.

My first experience was through Kempoman. He didn't tell me what to look for. He showed me how to do the exercise and after some time he asked me what changes or sensations i felt. When i told him what i felt he recognized them as results of the training and moved me forward. This is how it should be done. This is the only way to really know you are performing the exercises properly. This is also why you can NOT teach yourself IMA.

He's right you know.

All IMA require a teacher, because the student without a teacher is like a book without words.... or a book written in a strange language

#144987 - 05/23/05 04:49 PM Re: About Chi Balls [Re: Reiki]
pengu1ns Offline

Loc: England
Surely the best purpose of creating a chi ball is to learn of its presence. I was a bit dubious until i made one after reading an article in the reading room. I was quite surprised. Now i make them regularly to make myself feel special. I may start flying soon...

#144988 - 05/23/05 05:13 PM Re: About Chi Balls [Re: laf7773]
Inuyasha Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Laf thx for the advice..........

#144989 - 05/23/05 06:26 PM Re: About Chi Balls [Re: Inuyasha]
BaguaMonk Offline

Loc: DALLAS TX BABY
Also, the sensations doesn't always mean its "working" or your getting better. Sometimes they could be signifiying, trying to tell you that something is wrong, or the energy is not quite how it should be. Thats why people recommend teachers, and that you should not try internal chi gong with out a qualified teacher.A sensation doesn't mean anything, in fact it could mean that you are not where you should be. It could be a sign of progress, but its not always a positive sign. Just thought I should say that.

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Cord, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Stun Guns
Variety of stun gun devices for your protection

Buy Pepper Spray
Worry about your family when you’re not around? Visit us today to protect everything you value.

Koryu.com
Accurate information on the ancient martial traditions of the Japanese samurai

C2 Taser
Protect yourself and loved ones from CRIME with the latest C2 Taser citizen model. Very effective.

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga