FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 45 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Shanktotheright, royal, bobgalle100011, agenonline, TooNice
22862 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
THEFOREVERMAN 3
Dobbersky 2
MattJ 2
royal 2
Jeff_G 1
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30
New Topics
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by Marcus Charles
03/24/14 04:39 PM
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by Dobbersky
03/20/14 05:45 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
AKK kata question
by
09/04/05 01:27 PM
Recent Posts
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by THEFOREVERMAN
04/16/14 08:22 AM
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by THEFOREVERMAN
04/16/14 08:20 AM
AKK kata question
by MattJ
04/04/14 05:45 PM
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Forum Stats
22862 Members
36 Forums
35546 Topics
432378 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5
Topic Options
#144798 - 07/15/05 10:26 AM Re: Grappling methods in Karate [Re: Shidokai]
Victor Smith Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Derry, NH
Shidokai,

I am very much in agreement with your discussion.

I would like to qualify when I'm referring to aikido, it is based on my own experiences from an instructor whose father trained with one of Usheiba's students in the late 1930's, quite different in excution from most of the aikido I've seen.

In aikido there is aikido and there is aikido and there is aikido and there is aikido, as is in most arts.

The way I was taught a bit when you apply it as in an ikkyo application you just immediately place the persons face into the ground, or euphemastically they strike and eat dirt. The aikido principles cross the variations, but we use extremely tight circles, and there is great affinity to the way karate technique is executed. (still done humanely for practice).

Of course his ground technique, from a tjimande perspective is phenomenial too.

Edited by Victor Smith (07/15/05 10:29 AM)

#144799 - 07/15/05 01:50 PM Re: Grappling methods in Karate [Re: reaperblack]
Ogoun Offline

Loc: Fort Myers, FL
Quote:

I did not mean that as uke you would not end up on the ground. I have recieved ukemi face up, down, sitting, kneeling, on my side, and every other conceivable position in Shorinkan, but at no point have I been nage and touched more than one knee down (and that was on someone, not the floor). I get tossed around like a rag doll on a regular basis. (I can hardly wait for kyoshi Haley's next visit, that guy is like a train) I meant that we don't roll around on the ground as nage. If you do, that would surprise me, admittedly, as this is the last place you want to end up when fighting multiple opponents, and this is supposed to be a style geared towards multiple opponents. I mean I can understand if it is on the "What if?" scenario, but I have never heard of this in Shorinkan.
I have never trained with kyoshi Perry, my Sensei has, and so has my sempai, but I have not.
I hope to someday though, is he feeling better?
Roger

I do not disagree with what you say. I brought up those experiences that our kata have techniques that work while we are undergroung. Although we may not choose to go to the ground, but we may get taken to the ground, hoewever, we are not helpless on the ground.

My experience with Higa-sensei was during free-sparring sessions where I tried to take him to the ground, and he reversed the situation on me. As for Kyoshi Perry, it was a demonstration of steps 3 and 4 in Chinto, because I asked him a specific question regarding those counts. They are the steps when you spun around on the left leg and they end before the two front kicks.

Last time I had any news about Kyoshi Perry was last November. His absence from the camp was noted by many people. As you said, I hope he is doing better.

#144800 - 07/15/05 02:01 PM Re: Grappling methods in Karate [Re: Ogoun]
Victor Smith Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Derry, NH
Ogoun,

When you write "My experience with Higa-sensei was during free-sparring sessions where I tried to take him to the ground, and he reversed the situation on me."

I was taught during a takedown the midpoint is the most vulnerable point for being counter thrown. Most of the time if your opponent can drop their center first at that point the reversal can take place. This counter can be countered often by working to control their lower body (such as stepping on their foot, or leg checking them) during the takedown process, neutralizing that moment of vulnerability.

Of course I'm making a lot of assumptions on how you were countered, but perhaps you'll find these observations of use.

#144801 - 07/15/05 10:08 PM Re: Grappling methods in Karate [Re: Victor Smith]
Ogoun Offline

Loc: Fort Myers, FL
Quote:

Ogoun,

When you write "My experience with Higa-sensei was during free-sparring sessions where I tried to take him to the ground, and he reversed the situation on me."

I was taught during a takedown the midpoint is the most vulnerable point for being counter thrown. Most of the time if your opponent can drop their center first at that point the reversal can take place. This counter can be countered often by working to control their lower body (such as stepping on their foot, or leg checking them) during the takedown process, neutralizing that moment of vulnerability.

Of course I'm making a lot of assumptions on how you were countered, but perhaps you'll find these observations of use.

Victor,
I undertand your point perfectly. Over the last few years I came to that conclusion with the assistance of one of my sempai. When my opponent tries to throw ot take me down, I go into the Naihanchi stance, and it makes me more difficult to be thrown or taken down. I assume that works because the stance lowers my center of gravity.

Now, when I throw someone, I make sure that I get them off-balance first, and it makes it more difficult to counter.

As for the assumption, I omitted a few thoughts. At the time of the reversal we were both on the ground, and he apllied the techniques from the kata to control the situation.

#144802 - 07/15/05 10:37 PM Re: Grappling methods in Karate [Re: Ubermint]
Shidokai Offline

Loc: Fukuoka, Japan
AXIS Jiu-jitsu Academy Fukuoka

And informally, with and with people who train with Eduardo (Dudu) Barros. Dudu's scary good, and gets me (and most people) too fast for me to do anything. The people I've rolled with (Blue and Purple belts) also have similar ability, but I've been able to get away from the encounter, when that's my intent.

#144803 - 07/27/05 02:26 AM Re: Grappling methods in Karate [Re: AgenT]
pisces590 Offline

Loc: Texas, U.S.A.
i think what i was taught was grappling, it was only a little and we never practiced much,and it was mainly combos that end in broken bones.

Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5

Moderator:  Ames, Cord, MattJ, Reiki, Ronin1966 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Stun Guns
Variety of stun gun devices for your protection

Buy Pepper Spray
Worry about your family when you’re not around? Visit us today to protect everything you value.

Koryu.com
Accurate information on the ancient martial traditions of the Japanese samurai

C2 Taser
Protect yourself and loved ones from CRIME with the latest C2 Taser citizen model. Very effective.

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga