FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 40 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
mohdnabeel, sunny, swordy, jerrybarry24, SenseiGregT
22915 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Matakiant 3
AndyLA 3
futsaowingchun 3
Victor Smith 1
ergees 1
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
New Topics
Tan,Bong,Fuk & Wu Sao
by futsaowingchun
Yesterday at 12:10 AM
Living a full life violence free...
by GojuRyuboy13
09/25/14 08:50 AM
Wing Chun-internal training
by futsaowingchun
09/23/14 09:01 PM
Martial News
by Matakiant
09/23/14 06:42 AM
STX Kickboxing Seminar
by Marcus Charles
09/09/14 06:57 PM
Biu Tzu- 1st section applications
by futsaowingchun
09/05/14 10:56 PM
2014 World Championships Chelyabinsk: The Gallery
by ergees
09/01/14 03:51 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by
05/13/07 08:02 AM
Recent Posts
Tan,Bong,Fuk & Wu Sao
by futsaowingchun
Yesterday at 12:10 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Victor Smith
09/28/14 07:11 PM
Living a full life violence free...
by GojuRyuboy13
09/25/14 08:50 AM
Wing Chun-internal training
by futsaowingchun
09/23/14 09:01 PM
Martial News
by Matakiant
09/23/14 06:42 AM
attacked from behind
by AndyLA
09/19/14 09:05 AM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
09/18/14 06:07 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by Zombie Zero
09/16/14 04:43 PM
Eugue Ryu
by kolslaw
09/12/14 03:35 PM
Biu Tzu- 1st section applications
by futsaowingchun
09/05/14 10:56 PM
Forum Stats
22915 Members
36 Forums
35579 Topics
432500 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#144758 - 05/16/05 02:43 PM Grappling methods in Karate
AgenT Offline

Since most the people on this karate forum are training in the more serious side of karate. I am curious to know about your grappling methods and your chief uses. the art I study, since it contains alot of throws, dont focus so much on grappling methods other then stand up locking and trapping and then only as throwing setups usually. Its ground work is a similier to a highly simplified version of judo, and is is mostly choking methods the ground work has maybe 5 to 10 locks for the limbs that are highly adaptable.

#144759 - 05/16/05 03:17 PM Re: Grappling methods in Karate [Re: AgenT]
butterfly Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Torrance, CA
I think there are proabably a few styles that have some grappling. However, karate, in my opinion has always been mostly a striking system, unless it is a hybrid style.

The grappling that I have learned has been introduced by karateka with Judo and BJJ experience. I have personally sought out BJJ experience to compliment what I have learned for standup.

As far as pure karate doing a lot of grappling...I think this generally outside its core technical background.

-B

#144760 - 05/16/05 03:51 PM Re: Grappling methods in Karate [Re: AgenT]
nenipp Offline
Veteran

We train three distances within the "mandatory" stuff; punch-kick, clinch and groundwork, it's basically up to the individual which of them, if any, they like to emphasise more.

#144761 - 05/16/05 04:37 PM Re: Grappling methods in Karate [Re: nenipp]
JohnL Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: NY, NY, USA
A number of karate styles claim to have grappling techniques in them.

The problem I have though is that invariably, when karateka try and explain or do them, they're all pretty poor at them.

If you want to do some grappling, head into a BJJ or Judo school. They're really good at it. You may then find that what you're being taught is sometimes in your kata. Great. But go to the guys who do it regularly to learn.

#144762 - 05/16/05 05:21 PM Re: Grappling methods in Karate [Re: JohnL]
AgenT Offline

Hmmm, wouldnt it make sense that throwing and grappling would be a regular part of karate if it was in kata. Karate jutsu uses the same basic throws that judo does. In the classes I took karate was more of a close range striking/standup grappling/throwing system with very few ground methods as emphasis is staying on your feet. All the ground methods are techs done in the process of getting up. Along with the basic karate blocking and striking methods judo throws were taught, for example the techs taught at go kyu level were: shoulder throw, hip throw, inner and outter reap and yoridama. They were also drilled heavily and used often in sparring.There isnt many more taught at higher ranks but they all work. I never thought of karate as just a striking art, because if it couldnt just be striking if it was for self'defense. Also even though the throwing methods are the same, they are set up through normal karate striking methods mainly. Some of the throws were set up by palmheels to the chin to snap the head back.

#144763 - 05/16/05 05:43 PM Re: Grappling methods in Karate [Re: AgenT]
butterfly Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Torrance, CA
AgentT,

I agree with you as far as the throws. The style of karate I practice has throws in it...some not standard to judo type throws.

But the question is still one of grappling. And my experience would suggest that grappling in most styles of karate, if there, is not emphasized. Throws yes. Not ne-waza. I could certainly be wrong about your style, but suppose it would have to have a jujitsu background...and not karate.

Warmest regards,

-B

#144764 - 05/16/05 05:50 PM Re: Grappling methods in Karate [Re: AgenT]
Gino Offline

Loc: New York State
I've been training in Kobayashi Shorin-ryu for some time now. While there are plenty of bunkai to learn and explore, We thought they were all from a standing position. Like locks, arm bars, traps, etc. Then, to supplement our karate training, some of us have also been studying Two-Circle Ju Jitsu. We can now see where some of the standing tuite techniques, taken directly from kata, can be applied to ground-fighting. Just starting to learn about this stuff, very cool.

#144765 - 05/16/05 06:01 PM Re: Grappling methods in Karate [Re: butterfly]
AgenT Offline

It does have methods similier to jj for groundwork and jj was taught as part of the karate class. I was refering more to stand up grappling/locking methods not so much ground work. Karate would have to be effective at ground range to be a self-defense method. The ground methods in the karate I trained in were very simple but highly effective. One such method is if a attacker takes you down and he's still standing, scissoring his legs to drop him. I know that probably dont fit most peoples definition of grappling. Another would be grabbing the knee and ankle and twisting, in the process of recovering your footing or hooking one foot behind the lower leg and using your other one to lock or dislocate the knee with a kick. Theres another highly effective one but I cant really explain it. All the methods are done in the process of getting up and most involve locking or twisting the knees.

#144766 - 05/16/05 09:50 PM Re: Grappling methods in Karate [Re: AgenT]
Victor Smith Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Derry, NH
Just think about one aspect of grappling, the arm bar.

Within Isshinryu's eight empty hand kata, I've documented over 60 potential arm bars, and as far as I define it if they stick their arm out and you can stick their face in the ground, that's a form of grappling.

The difference is whether one takes the time to develop the skill to use was is obviously there. If you can take what they stick out and use it, then it's there. If you can't do it then it isn't.

There are several other things present within the kata too, but not tonight.

#144767 - 05/16/05 10:37 PM Re: Grappling methods in Karate [Re: Victor Smith]
Raul Perez Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Lake Ronkonkoma, NY, USA
Hi AgentT,

From my study of Classical Kara-te during the past 8+ years I have understood the following regarding tuidi jitsu (grappling):

Kara-te is a percussive art at it's core. Therefore all nage waza, ne waza, kansetsu waza... etc must be done after the opponent is softened by deliberate and dibilitating strikes to soften the opponent up resulting in less resistance when actually applying the techniques.

Having this in mind Classical Kara-te does have ground grappling in it. However it was, is, and will never be as advanced as Judo or BJJ. Main reason is because a Classical Pracitioner is using ground grappling to gain positional dominance to continue to strike. However if an arm or a neck presents its self... the practitioner will take it with a BASIC yet effective break or choke (blood or wind). However if you wish to really work on your ground... take JohnL's advice and seek instruction from Judo or BJJ.

Kind regards,

Raul

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Ames, Cord, MattJ, Reiki, Ronin1966 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Fight Videos
Night club fight footage and street fights captured with the world's first bouncer spy cam

How to Matrix!
Learn ten times faster with new training method. Learn entire arts for as little as $10 per disk.

Self Defense
Stun guns, pepper spray, Mace and self defense products. Alarms for personal and home use.

TASER MC26C
Stop An Urban Gorilla: Get 2 FREE TASER M26C Replacement Air Cartridges With Each New TASER M26C!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga