FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 40 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
TomRosenberg, jessylin, play, Keith_G, LeroyCFischer
22937 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
jwwmantis 2
William_Bent 1
futsaowingchun 1
Zombie Zero 1
harlan 1
December
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31
New Topics
Freeing Hand-Wing Chun's last movements
by futsaowingchun
12/17/14 09:40 PM
2015 Master Yang Jwing-Ming Seminar
by jwwmantis
12/05/14 10:36 PM
unrecognized kata
by William_Bent
11/19/14 07:05 PM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
The Beginners Guide To Stretching
by
12/27/06 11:43 AM
Your true goal
by
03/03/06 07:16 AM
Recent Posts
Freeing Hand-Wing Chun's last movements
by futsaowingchun
12/17/14 09:40 PM
Your true goal
by Beefcake
12/11/14 02:44 AM
The Beginners Guide To Stretching
by LeroyCFischer
12/04/14 02:07 AM
unrecognized kata
by William_Bent
11/19/14 07:05 PM
Forum Stats
22937 Members
36 Forums
35591 Topics
432526 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#144157 - 05/19/05 01:12 PM Re: Whats Krav maga? [Re: SANCHIN31]
clammy joe Offline

Quote:

Quote:

As my instructor said, "You're not here to learn how to fight, you're here to learn how to beat the crap out of people."

Neither one sounds like self defense to me.

He simply means once you decide you must fight than you shouldn't stop till the attacker is on the ground and unable or unwilling to get up. He usually comments on this when people get tired or too fancy in class and aren't aggressive. We aren't training for a boxing match, we're learning to protect ourselves from violent assault.

#144158 - 05/20/05 03:26 AM Re: Whats Krav maga? [Re: clammy joe]
SANCHIN31 Offline
Former Moderator

Loc: Arkansas, U.S.
Quote:

He simply means once you decide you must fight than you shouldn't stop till the attacker is on the ground and unable or unwilling to get up. He usually comments on this when people get tired or too fancy in class and aren't aggressive. We aren't training for a boxing match, we're learning to protect ourselves from violent assault.

I understand that and being aggressive until you are safe is good,but saying he's teaching you to "beat the crap out of people" sounds like someone looking for fights not avoiding them.

#144159 - 05/20/05 08:06 AM Re: Whats Krav maga? [Re: SANCHIN31]
globetrotter Offline
does unto others before they do unto him

Loc: ny usa
I think that this comes back to the roots of KM. in the IDF, any drill ends with "verifying the kill" - making sure that you have killed your target. KM isn't about bloodying somebodies nose, it is about taking them off active duty.

I don't think that is nessasarily bad. in a lot of dojos, and I can say this about the McDojo that I go to now, I am not sure that your average black belt could really deal with a fight on the street. students are often tought that if they do move A and move B then the fight will be over. in KM, you are tought to keep throwing firepower until you have evidence that your opponent is down.

#144160 - 05/20/05 12:07 PM Re: Whats Krav maga? [Re: globetrotter]
RangerG Offline
Former Moderator

Loc: Chester County, Pennsylvania
Quote:

I think that this comes back to the roots of KM. in the IDF, any drill ends with "verifying the kill" - making sure that you have killed your target. KM isn't about bloodying somebodies nose, it is about taking them off active duty.

I don't think that is nessasarily bad. in a lot of dojos, and I can say this about the McDojo that I go to now, I am not sure that your average black belt could really deal with a fight on the street. students are often tought that if they do move A and move B then the fight will be over. in KM, you are tought to keep throwing firepower until you have evidence that your opponent is down.

I would respecfuly ask if the IDF Krav level of response is appropriate here in the U.S.?

The attitude at our dojo is to avoid the conflict if at all possible, If not, we respond with only enough force to escape the situation...with the exception of knife or firearm where the clear intent was to kill you.

Keep in mind however, if there is clear evidence that you could have disengaged and escaped, but you chose to kill your attacker..you will be the one in court facing the murder charge.

I do not wish to "beat the crap" out of anyone if I can avoid it. I only wish to protect myself and loved ones should I or they come under attack.

Has it not been the attitude of the old masters for one to respect others and avoid conflict? A fight is the last possible response, when all other methods of conflict avoidance have been exhausted.

I try to live in peace and harmony as much as possible. I can however understand the IDF attitude. If the U.S. becomes the subject of daily attacks, then I would agree the attitude here would require modification to meet that threat level.

Until that time, I will continue to smile and avoid fighting where possible.

#144161 - 05/20/05 01:02 PM Re: Whats Krav maga? [Re: RangerG]
globetrotter Offline
does unto others before they do unto him

Loc: ny usa
excellent points, Ranger,

first, I am not sure that KM, as I was tought it, has a real place in the US system of martial arts. it may be too rough around the edges.

but, like you, I do not lok for fights. I haven't been in what could be called a personal street fight in my adult life. I will do pretty much everything that I can to avoid violence, inlcuding going a few steps farther than most, I believe. so, if I am in a fight, it is because somebody has attacked me. Now, I am a short fat old man. if somebody has attacked me, he probrably thought that he was going to be able to inflict violence on me, and get away. I am assuming that he will be younger than I, and he has attacked me for no good reason, leading me to the understanding that he is agressive. so I am going to throw what ever I can at him, I am not going to put him in a wrist hold and say "had enough?" and then step on his foot and say "had enough?" I will probrably try to break mulitple bones in his lower limbs, hit him in the eyes and throat and ear drums, get him on the ground and apply my nice heavy boots and my 280 pounds to what ever part of his anatomy comes handy. if, while I am doing that, I understand that he is out of commision, I will stop and run. If I think that there is any chance that when I start to run he will get up and come after me (on the assumption that he will run faster than me) I am going to make sure that that doesn't happen.

#144162 - 05/20/05 02:25 PM Re: Whats Krav maga? [Re: globetrotter]
retzef Offline

Its a self defense system..The McDojo's sell it as a MA.

I like the rough edges. As a former New York City resident and a manager in a high profile target area, I have to diasagree that KM use of force is not needed. A lot of situations in Israel are diffused by "regular" citizens, not uniformed or "on duty" personnel. KM teaches awareness and how to survive when the odds are not in your favor.
I assume multiple attackers instead of just one person attacking. I assume that the criminal has a back up weapon. I will not pick a fight but I will end one. I am much smaller than the average person and I damn well will not win a prolonged fight, so I must make quick and decisive decisions about protecting my life and whatever third party I am with.

#144163 - 05/20/05 09:06 PM Re: Whats Krav maga? [Re: retzef]
Plantman Offline

Loc: Maimi
With all due respect, the LA Fitmess type places that are affilited with Kravmaga usa are the ones that sell it as a MA.

The israeli Krav maga instructors work out sometimes in cramped, dusty hot rooms with concrete floors, sort of like an old musty boxing gym and they do not sell it as a MA, but a self defense system. We are taught to walk away whenever possible, but if forced to fight, be prepared to go all out. If you can breathe you can fight.

The Krav Maga that has been watered down in the states consists of lots of aerobics, very little "technique" and a lot of fluff.

Do we do cardio aerobics,? Yes, briefly to loosen up. After that, it's all technique for the rest of the hour.

I have seen some people who have trained in the LA fitness type gyms for months that are far inferior to people of the same experience in the rat hole gyms.

My point is that there is s huge difference in the methods tought by different organizations. I am sure this exists in other disciplines as well.

I am a proud member and student of the Israeli Krav Maga Association.

#144164 - 05/27/05 08:12 PM Re: Whats Krav maga? [Re: Plantman]
kyokushinkai Offline

Loc: Prince Edward Island , Canada
so basically I am in karate and im assuming that krav maga isnt a boundried thing and if i wanted to i would really only have to use my brain ( to know where to hit people..not that hard throat stomach etc.) and that dont stop because you hit them twice keep going until there is no chance of them harming you or endagering your life.. if the situation is right killing them is the thing you must do.. and that you should run when you can ( my teacher goes really far to make sure we dont fight and when we do fight he makes sure we didn't start it and that we used the appropriate level of force .. the reason he can check is because he teaches in the school I go to so he knows what happened). am i right or???

#144165 - 05/27/05 09:31 PM Re: Whats Krav maga? [Re: kyokushinkai]
retzef Offline

What exactly is your question?
Not to be rude or anything but I couldn't tell where the quote ended and the question began.

#144166 - 06/23/05 11:15 AM Re: Whats Krav maga? [Re: Plantman]
MA_Man Offline

Quote:

With all due respect, the LA Fitmess type places that are affilited with Kravmaga usa are the ones that sell it as a MA.

The israeli Krav maga instructors work out sometimes in cramped, dusty hot rooms with concrete floors, sort of like an old musty boxing gym and they do not sell it as a MA, but a self defense system. We are taught to walk away whenever possible, but if forced to fight, be prepared to go all out. If you can breathe you can fight.

The Krav Maga that has been watered down in the states consists of lots of aerobics, very little "technique" and a lot of fluff.

I'm in the states. How can I find one of these places?

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Cord, Dedicated1, JasonM, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Fight Videos
Night club fight footage and street fights captured with the world's first bouncer spy cam

How to Matrix!
Learn ten times faster with new training method. Learn entire arts for as little as $10 per disk.

Self Defense
Stun guns, pepper spray, Mace and self defense products. Alarms for personal and home use.

TASER MC26C
Stop An Urban Gorilla: Get 2 FREE TASER M26C Replacement Air Cartridges With Each New TASER M26C!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga