FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 61 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Shanktotheright, royal, bobgalle100011, agenonline, TooNice
22862 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Dobbersky 3
THEFOREVERMAN 3
MattJ 2
Jeff_G 1
Marcus Charles 1
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30
New Topics
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by Marcus Charles
03/24/14 04:39 PM
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by Dobbersky
03/20/14 05:45 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
AKK kata question
by
09/04/05 01:27 PM
Recent Posts
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by THEFOREVERMAN
Today at 08:22 AM
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by THEFOREVERMAN
Today at 08:20 AM
AKK kata question
by MattJ
04/04/14 05:45 PM
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Forum Stats
22862 Members
36 Forums
35546 Topics
432378 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#144005 - 05/15/05 03:26 AM Re: TKD vs. Ju_jitsu [Re: Ju_Jitsu_kid]
SANCHIN31 Offline
Former Moderator

Loc: Arkansas, U.S.
Quote:

27 in one night would make me .... well like a machine, one might call me a Robot perhaps ?

VTG anyone?

p.s. What's that I smell?

#144006 - 05/15/05 10:05 AM Re: TKD vs. Ju_jitsu [Re: Ju_Jitsu_kid]
TimBlack Offline
Exalted

Loc: UK, Brighton
Apeus is right, there's too much 'tricking' and olympic style sparring around. If you get me, or Apeus I suspect, in a fight we'll smash your kneecap or break your leg. That's what we train for. Apart from taking out your legs, we'll use sidekicks to keep our distance when we need to, and use hand strikes for everything else.

Good Taekwon-do practitioners are well aware of how vulnerable high kicks are. So we don't tend to use them. Smash someone's kneecap and they drop. Doesn't matter how drugged-up they are or how tough.

So, good TKD practitioners are good. Bad practitioners are bad. Just like any martial arts. Also, on the point of a lack of ground fighting, this is correct. However, TKD is inevitably combined with Hapkido somewhere down the road (ask most high Dan trainers), and Hapkido is very effective for ground fighting.

#144007 - 05/15/05 11:49 AM Re: TKD vs. Ju_jitsu [Re: SANCHIN31]
Ju_Jitsu_kid Offline

Loc: New York, New York
Sanchin you really are an idiot, Robot suggested that I had fought 27 guys in one night, i said that was false I recorded my tournaments of the course of 6 weeks, , he said he should have realized that, and I joked by saying 27 in one night would make me a ROBOT , jeez man, read the post before you accuseing me of being a virtual tough guy...

#144008 - 05/16/05 01:03 AM Re: TKD vs. Ju_jitsu [Re: TimBlack]
Hedgehogey Offline

While we've seen TKDists beaten several times on video under all sorts of rules, nevertheless I have to say that our friend Nutrider Mcgillicuddy here, is probably trying to siphon off some of the glory from MMA. See, you occasionally find these people claiming absurd fight records in things like "The UFC fight thing". When they find out you actually train and compete, they'll give you this patheticomic expression that's suitable for framing.

That, or he's just trolling.

However:
Quote:

Good Taekwon-do practitioners are well aware of how vulnerable high kicks are. So we don't tend to use them. Smash someone's kneecap and they drop. Doesn't matter how drugged-up they are or how tough.

This is one of those MA urban legends, like driving pieces of nose cartilage into the brain, or the "death touch".

Look, I do muay thai. We block kicks WITH our knee. We WANT people to kick at our kneecaps (the thigh is much more vulnerable).

I can accept that you may injure the ACL of a fighting retard by kicking the side of their knee.

But a side kick to the kneecap? A dog turd in your tea, good sir.

#144009 - 05/16/05 02:53 AM Re: TKD vs. Ju_jitsu [Re: Ju_Jitsu_kid]
SANCHIN31 Offline
Former Moderator

Quote:

Sanchin you really are an idiot, Robot suggested that I had fought 27 guys in one night, i said that was false I recorded my tournaments of the course of 6 weeks, , he said he should have realized that, and I joked by saying 27 in one night would make me a ROBOT , jeez man, read the post before you accuseing me of being a virtual tough guy...

I did read the post braniac. Do you really believe everything you've written kid?

#144010 - 05/16/05 07:56 AM Re: TKD vs. Ju_jitsu [Re: SANCHIN31]
cxt Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: USA

I seriously think the person that even starts a topic with asking "TKD vs JKD" (pick the styles of your choice) should be banned.

#144011 - 05/16/05 08:55 PM Re: TKD vs. Ju_jitsu [Re: SANCHIN31]
pride_fan Offline

(judo + ju jitsu make an excellent combo in general imo)

#144012 - 05/17/05 01:42 AM Re: TKD vs. Ju_jitsu [Re: cxt]
SANCHIN31 Offline
Former Moderator

Quote:

I seriously think the person that even starts a topic with asking "TKD vs JKD" (pick the styles of your choice) should be banned.

I'm down with that!

#144013 - 05/17/05 08:22 AM Re: TKD vs. Ju_jitsu [Re: Hedgehogey]
fmorris Offline

I've been sidekicked in the knee twice. The first time it tore the cartilage in my knee and I had to have surgery. Immediately after it happened I was able to stand but could not bend my knee and could not move. The second time I was blocking a back kick with my knee. It struck the top of the kneecap and dropped me. After several weeks of limping I went to a physical therapist who found that my kneecap had been shifted out of the groove that it moves up and down in. It also put small cracks in the patella and it now has bone spurs on it. I was in therapy for several months to correct the problem.

#144014 - 05/17/05 09:05 AM Re: TKD vs. Ju_jitsu [Re: Ju_Jitsu_kid]
pwrkikn Offline

Loc: Virginia
I think I am fortunate. I hapen to train at a TKD Dojang that focus's on both Olympic and traditional. Sure it is called a WTF sschool for sake of competition.

My master holds an 8th degree in TKD (not Olympic as he was 8th degree before Olympics) and 5th in HKD. As well as a certified trainer of Tai Chi.

Jujitsu is a different style of MA altogether. You can't match Indy Car against Nascar and have a fair race. The TKD practitioners you fight must not know the difference between comp and fighting.

No offense or not to knock your skills, but any "well-trained" TKD practitioner knows when and where to use certain styles of kicks. If they do jumping and spinning kicks in a MMA style of fight, well they deserve to lose.

BUT, I assure you, you get in a ring with one who knows the difference and you will see a completely different type of fighter. I have been accused of "not using TKD" in our own little "fight clubs." The only formal training I have had was TKD WTF and yet I know and understand how to fight a grappler. I may not be good enough to win a grapple match, but I know enough to make the grappler WORK for it.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Stun Guns
Variety of stun gun devices for your protection

Buy Pepper Spray
Worry about your family when you’re not around? Visit us today to protect everything you value.

Koryu.com
Accurate information on the ancient martial traditions of the Japanese samurai

C2 Taser
Protect yourself and loved ones from CRIME with the latest C2 Taser citizen model. Very effective.

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga