FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 29 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
TomRosenberg, jessylin, play, Keith_G, LeroyCFischer
22937 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
jwwmantis 2
William_Bent 1
simonajones111 1
futsaowingchun 1
Zombie Zero 1
December
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31
New Topics
Freeing Hand-Wing Chun's last movements
by futsaowingchun
12/17/14 09:40 PM
2015 Master Yang Jwing-Ming Seminar
by jwwmantis
12/05/14 10:36 PM
unrecognized kata
by William_Bent
11/19/14 07:05 PM
I gained a lot of month in the last few months
by simonajones111
11/19/14 04:54 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
The Beginners Guide To Stretching
by
12/27/06 11:43 AM
Your true goal
by
03/03/06 07:16 AM
Recent Posts
Freeing Hand-Wing Chun's last movements
by futsaowingchun
12/17/14 09:40 PM
Your true goal
by Beefcake
12/11/14 02:44 AM
The Beginners Guide To Stretching
by LeroyCFischer
12/04/14 02:07 AM
unrecognized kata
by William_Bent
11/19/14 07:05 PM
I gained a lot of month in the last few months
by simonajones111
11/19/14 04:54 AM
Forum Stats
22937 Members
36 Forums
35591 Topics
432526 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 6 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#143095 - 12/02/05 05:27 PM Re: Boxing techniques [Re: alexw]
Neko456 Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Midwest City, Ok, USA
Training is one thing but fighting is anothers. Boxers learn how to hit hard in the ring and are vicious punchers.

But what they are not prepared for low kicks, throws and sweeps then grabbing, pulling punches/striking throws using the throat and grion as lifting points or finger flick vs. his jab same time then grion kick, elbow smashes to the face. Grabbing lifting throws, & stomps nobodies head is as hard as concret.

Punches to the throat after a sweep or knee attack to the thigh, punches/elbows to the spine/kidney/back skull from the back and strikes to the back of head. I've only had two fights with boxers 1 was drunk the other was not drunk. Both lasted as long as it took me to sweep them and stomp them. Nobodies head is as hard as concrete!!!

I see Boxers as sharks, one of the toughest SOBs in his element in the water moving or at punching range. But like a shark take him outside his element stopping his movement/Boxers legs/get him to give you his back and Shark holding him still in the water or bring him ashore. You deprive him of oxygen & drown him. Like a Shark if he catches you with his best bite/combo, you are hurt.

Learning how to box, you learn their strengths and weakness. I've sparred many pretty good boxers my brothers a journeyman Pro boxer, we've sparred often. After training in both I don't see MAs as sissys, I see Boxing as a sport, and a tough way to make living, if he ain't great at it.

#143096 - 12/02/05 05:47 PM Re: Boxing techniques [Re: Ace]
knuckles_3 Offline

Loc: rio rancho, new mexico
this is true

#143097 - 12/05/05 01:19 PM Re: Boxing techniques [Re: Neko456]
Gula Offline

Quote:

I've only had two fights with boxers 1 was drunk the other was not drunk. Both lasted as long as it took me to sweep them and stomp them. Nobodies head is as hard as concrete!!!

Not to diminish your glory but I doubt they were "reasonable" boxers since if they were convicted they would probably loose their lisence.. if they had any...

This conversation has gone bit off topic but hey what the heck I myself think pretty highly of boxing because I have NEVER got my ass handed so badly since I started boxing. The speed of the punches are just awesome and not to mention the evasive skills.

Just to think what kind of damage would my opponent done to me if he wasnt wearing a glove.. its just frightening =D
And when I start to take MMA matches I definetly wouldnt want to face a good boxer with sprawling skills... I mean the gloves are so damn small!! I have lost count how many times my nose has started to bleed and so sore you cant really press it with 12oz mits if they were mma gloves my nose would be no more god damn it! =D

Well the bottom line is: Id say start in some decent boxing gym and see for your self =)

Ps. For the argument "boxers cant hit with out gloves" Id much rather have a broken knuckle than a broken face and when you sparr "all out" your hand will get sore eaven with 12oz gloves so it gives you some idea what it would feel like hitting with out gloves but much more importantly boxers know how to take a few hits with out loosing their game. The few hits might be the only ones you get before he lays that overhand to your jaw and your out ;D

#143098 - 12/05/05 01:42 PM Re: Boxing techniques [Re: Gula]
Leo_E_49 Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: California
Quote:

And when I start to take MMA matches I definetly wouldnt want to face a good boxer with sprawling skills...

Sprawl is a counter to a shoot, not a jab. Wrong move, of course you'd get KOed if you tried to use one.

Ed. How could you sprawl against a boxer anyway?

#143099 - 12/05/05 02:02 PM Re: Boxing techniques [Re: Leo_E_49]
Gula Offline

Quote:

Sprawl is a counter to a shoot, not a jab. Wrong move, of course you'd get KOed if you tried to use one.
Ed. How could you sprawl against a boxer anyway?

I ment a good boxer with sprawling skills =)
Like he knows how to decently sprawl my shoots and takedown attempts to keep the match up

#143100 - 12/05/05 02:44 PM Re: Boxing techniques [Re: Gula]
Neko456 Offline
Professional Poster

Not to diminish your glory but I doubt they were "reasonable" boxers since if they were convicted they would probably loose their lisence.. if they had any...

In what world do you live in that a street fight ends with a conviction? Usually they go home to sleep it off, a buddy takes them home or a ambulance takes them to ER. Theres no convictions he paids a fine or bill and goes home. Where do you get such nonsense? Maybe if its Tyson and you want get a 20k-50k out of him, other wise. Thats why see that stuff in the newspaper it ain't because he just whipped their a$$ or got his whipped.

And as for their licenses I don't know if they had one or if they where un-ranked amatures, golden glove, semi pro or pro. I didn't have time to conversate with them, I just saw their moves. The drunk boxer knocked out a fellow 6'5 300lb bouncer, with fancy foot work, a left & hook right hand combination thats pretty impressive to me. The boxer that was not drunk spouted something about golden glove, but guys that brag don't know thats they better not be selling wolf tickets, they better be good cause thats how I am coming at them.

Boxers are impressive at punching range, but if you know how to box they are just boxers with limitations. The most potent person I've ever fought was a ex-boxer now MA he knew all my moves plus some. Boxing is a tough sport, with gruleing training regiment thats what makes them tough.

We train against boxing tactics all the time at Level 4 sparring Boxing is limited vs. all that can be used against him. If you don't know that keep training and living.

Diminshing my glory, U just keep training learn how to box then learn how to fight. Boxing can help but it is two different worlds.

#143101 - 12/07/05 09:17 AM Re: Boxing techniques [Re: alexw]
Chanters Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Manchester, UK
Quote:

the average thug who wants a scrap on a firday night will not bow to you before you fight him, and will show no mercy when your down on the floor. so why do you insist on practicing it?

It's called respect! Not that I'd bow if I was in an unfortunate position of being threatened or confronted. You bow in class to begin practicing with your partner and at the end. It's a show of appreciation. I bow to my partners during class to show appreciation with assisting me in my training. From the boxing matches I've watched most boxers seem to do a similar thing at the end of the fight. They walk over to one another hug and congratulate and show appreciation. Bowing to me is a similar thing, like a hand shake and a thank-you.

Quote:

we are no longer in ancient japan. we no longer have fair fights, with both warriors made equal. we dont fight under rules in the street.

That's just romantised rubbish. People in ancient japan did not partake in fair fights or with rules.

Quote:

that is what makes martial arts nowerdays so weak

This is a broad and sweeping generalisation. Like others have said, the practitioner makes the art, not the art itself.

#143102 - 12/09/05 06:39 PM Re: Boxing techniques [Re: Neko456]
Gula Offline

People dont get charged for fighting in your country at all?

Well where I come from most boxing gyms will shelve a "brawlers" licence and kick him out from the gym.

Clearly, if you are as good as you say, you could have pinned the brawlers to the ground and call the police or have the other bouncers to call the police?

#143103 - 12/12/05 09:19 AM Re: Boxing techniques [Re: nlcounty89]
Chanters Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Manchester, UK
I think it all depends on why people train in martial arts. To some it is a hobby, a form of self defence or to improve their levels of fitness etc. As boxing is a sport, most boxers train to compete. This is why they train so hard and tend to be extremely fit athletes so they can go the rounds.

If you practice an MA for self defence you'll need to be relatively fit so you can sprint away from danger and be strong enough to defend yourself sufficiently but as most attacks usually only last from 30 seconds to 4 minutes, the necessity to be as fit as a boxer isn't there. You're not going to be stood there for ages slugging it out like boxers do at a match.

As I practice a martial art which doesn't really require physical braun or endurance compared to a grappling art for example, our fitness levels don't really have a huge impact on our art. However I do train and workout but I do so to be a better uke, and to reduce the risk of injury.

However, if you're an MA who partakes in tournements and other competitions it would probably prove beneficial if they did start to train like a boxer, to up their endurance levels etc.

#143104 - 12/12/05 09:49 AM Re: Boxing techniques [Re: Gula]
Neko456 Offline
Professional Poster

GALUA - People dont get charged for fighting in your country at all? Well where I come from most boxing gyms will shelve a "brawlers" licence and kick him out from the gym. Clearly, if you are as good as you say, you could have pinned the brawlers to the ground and call the police or have the other bouncers to call the police?

People do get charged with street fighting here, if they wait for the cops or detained and a complaint signed. But usually they separate and go there way as I mention.

Usually at night club useless the participate is a dangerous and continous threat the guys tossed outside and or escourted off the property until the next night $$$, or the bouncer and property owner will give a time limit when he can return or be arrested on sight for TP. His occupation or hobby doesn't matter.

That last statement, I never think like that. I'm not that good, I am flawed, not as strong as I want to be, don't have as much stimina as I want, not fast as I want to be. But really who is? My thinking is I got a job to do, its to get home that night with minimum damage, he's the big bad wolf. So I never am over confident I only think detention when the fights out of him. So far as grappling I only do it when I have to. But with a boxer or strong puncher usually I want to hobble them, by smashing his instep or ankle, then knee/kick to the inside of his knee moving to his back elbows and strikes, sweep/throw & stomp or strike let his head & knee bounce off the floor/concret 2-3 times, then hes ready for the flexi-cuffs or to quit while he gathering his thoughts. Like I said boxers are tough sobs, I handle them that way. All this is illegal in boxing or not what hes ready for. I didn't mentioned he might have tagged me a couple of times, thats decides how many times he gets hit on the ground. Usually bouncing their are few mono mono situations but occassionally it happens or they will catch off the job.

Usually their friends take them home or to ER. Occassinally he goes to jail for destruction of property or assault & battery $1000 fine but is released when he's sober on his own recordnazes. Most like hes not fine the club owner will strike a deal with him and let him go, the CO wants that $1k in his pocket.

Point I'm trying to make is I'm not a great fighter, I'm a survivor, good strikers scare me, like any animal scared thats when they are danagerous. Get it out of your head that you will take it easy on someone because you are trained, use double barrel until you don't have to. Even dirty double barrels. I'm not a great clean, moral fighter, someone to look up to. I'm a old dirty efficent fighters that knows how they fight and can drown them.

Edited by Neko456 (12/12/05 09:53 AM)

Page 6 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Cord, MattJ, Reiki, Supremor, tkd_high_green 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Self Defense
Offering stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and other self defense products not available in stores.

Pepper Spray
Online distributor of self defense supplies like videos, stun guns, Tasers and more.

Spy Cameras
Surveillance, Hidden Cameras, Nanny Cams, Digital Recorders, Spy Equipment, Pocket DVR's and more

Stun Gun
Wholesale Directlhy to the Public! Stun gun and Taser Guns and personal protection products. Keep your loved ones at home safe!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga