FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 39 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
LeroyCFischer, JadeKing, Beefcake, WesJones, simonajones111
22933 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
futsaowingchun 2
charlie 2
simonajones111 1
GojuRyuboy13 1
Zombie Zero 1
November
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
New Topics
unrecognized kata
by William_Bent
11/19/14 07:05 PM
I gained a lot of month in the last few months
by simonajones111
11/19/14 04:54 AM
Siu Lin Tao-3rd section applications
by futsaowingchun
11/13/14 06:48 PM
Screen fighting course UK December 2014
by charlie
11/11/14 04:09 PM
Siu Lin Tao-1st section Pak Sao explanations
by futsaowingchun
11/09/14 10:30 PM
I spy kata bunkai..
by GojuRyuboy13
10/29/14 08:28 AM
Judo 2014 World Championships Juniors: The Gallery
by ergees
10/25/14 04:53 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
MA style video library
by
03/22/06 03:18 PM
Recent Posts
unrecognized kata
by William_Bent
11/19/14 07:05 PM
I gained a lot of month in the last few months
by simonajones111
11/19/14 04:54 AM
Siu Lin Tao-3rd section applications
by futsaowingchun
11/13/14 06:48 PM
Screen fighting course UK December 2014
by charlie
11/11/14 04:09 PM
MA style video library
by charlie
11/11/14 04:05 PM
Siu Lin Tao-1st section Pak Sao explanations
by futsaowingchun
11/09/14 10:30 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/29/14 10:01 PM
I spy kata bunkai..
by GojuRyuboy13
10/29/14 08:28 AM
Judo 2014 World Championships Juniors: The Gallery
by ergees
10/25/14 04:53 PM
Forum Stats
22933 Members
36 Forums
35589 Topics
432521 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#142483 - 05/11/05 10:07 AM Bu Doc
PETER Offline

Hi Bu Doc,

I will describe my style to you. Actually it is not my style, the name is based on the way I teach the art. My linage is Shobayashy Ryu as taught by Shimabuku Eizo and Hohan Soken. The name represents the following. I use the Chinese terminology and my stamps also use old style chinese charactors. Shorin-Shalin, Ko-old, Ryu-style, Karate-China hand, Jutsu-Combat. The art is very Shorin, short upright stances, evasion, small fluid moves, ect. I try and follow the "old ways" of teaching. I teach privatly only 1 or 2 student at a time. I grade using a white belt Mudansha and Black belt Yudansha. I have 5 teaching titles beyound that. The system focuses on the combat aspects of the Kata. There is no free sparring, instead we do 2 man Bunkia Kumite. Everything comes from the Kata. Large focus on Bunkia, body dynamics, timing, vital point striking and balance. The katas I teach are Sanchin, 5 Pinans, Niahanchi, Wansu, Seisan, Chinto, Seiunchin, as taught by Shimabuku Eizo, and Hakutsuru as taught by Hohen Soken. I use the term Jutsu instead of do to represent combat. I teach strictly Life preservation Karate. Although I do not use the term "Do" I asume it is obvious that it exists reguardless if used or not. Most of my students are Yudansha in rank and study Okinawan karate. They usually come to me to learn Bunkia. That's about it. If there is anything I can ever help with just ask. I only have my opinions, but I'm also open to all suggestions. Excuse any miss spelling. I typed this at work off the Top of my head. Take care.

Peter

#142484 - 05/11/05 03:47 PM Re: Bu Doc [Re: PETER]
BuDoc Offline
The doctor will see you now

Loc: USA and Abroad
Peter,

Thank you for sharing that with us. I find it very interesting the way you have put your individual "stamp" upon your art.

It appears to me that your methods and ideology (the limited amount that I can ascertain from your post) closely parallel my own.

I would look forward to corresponding with you in the future. I would also encourage you to post more and lurk less You clearly have information and experience that wold be beneficial to all.

Page

#142485 - 05/11/05 07:25 PM Re: Bu Doc [Re: BuDoc]
Multiversed Offline
Banned

Loc: Sa, Tx. USA
Quote:

Peter,

Thank you for sharing that with us. I find it very interesting the way you have put your individual "stamp" upon your art.

It appears to me that your methods and ideology (the limited amount that I can ascertain from your post) closely parallel my own.

I would look forward to corresponding with you in the future. I would also encourage you to post more and lurk less You clearly have information and experience that wold be beneficial to all.

Page

Sounds a little iffy. What happened to the other Shorin kata? I don't doubt you know Shorin, but what grade were you before you started your own style? When I hear folks talk of bunkai I'm always wary. The problem with karate is that anyone can claim anything, and as a result the quality of good karate teaching has rapidly declined over the decades.

I also feel that at the lower mudansha ranks you must have some form of jiyu kumite. Even very orthodox teachers like Fusei Kise and Ron Lindsey were very proficient at free fighting. It's a must for the early years of training.

#142486 - 05/11/05 10:04 PM Re: Bu Doc [Re: Multiversed]
Kintama Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Massachusetts
It helps to read a little history of where people are coming from:
http://64.233.161.104/search?q=cache:MYP...arate&hl=en

I'm wondering why Peter blanked out all of his responses 6 months after posting, but some are preserved thru others quoting him.

The thing that caught my attention is this claim:
Originally posted by PETER:
"I personally believe I am one of the best 10 or so in the world."

Originally posted by PETER:
"I'd be willing to be connected to any body monitors and then be attacked, I bet not one of my body functions would change."

In that thread, I share the sceptism of MrVigerous. I'm not anywhere near the top [whatever] of fighters (I assume he meant, to the death), but then again, I would never claim such a thing if I were. It goes against the mindset of 'self-preservation' and into the realm of 'self-promotion'.
If you really are that good Peter, my appologies...please don't kill me, I have kids.

#142487 - 05/11/05 10:44 PM Re: Bu Doc [Re: Multiversed]
BuDoc Offline

I think, at least upon cursory examination, that there are some good ideas here.

I have always liked the 2 belt method. Your either black or white (this is the way I was trained).

I like the way he is using Shorin kata, albeit not all. I find this ok. He is not claiming to teach Matsumura Seito, rather incorporating those concepts with others he has learned.

Multi is on target, I think, with jiyu kumite at the lower ranks. The examples he cites (Kyoshi Lindsey, and Fusei Kise) do this better than most. Peter may do this as well. It may have been an omission.

Lastly, I have always liked the idea of 2 man flow drills. Soken Sensei's series is excellent. I also like the Motobu drills. These, or something like these(depending on your style) should be taught very early in a Karateka's education.

I don't sense any deceit here. I'm always willing to give the benefit of the doubt. Sounds like Peter is merely presenting what he perceives to be the best of two classic styles that he has spent some considerable time studying.

I kind of like his ideas.

Page

#142488 - 05/12/05 09:49 AM Re: Bu Doc [Re: BuDoc]
oldman Offline
Professional Poster

Guys,
When I listen to you interact on the forum it is hard sometimes not to be envious. There is a part of me that wants to find a karate kid version of Mr. Miyagi. It's a bit embarrassing to admit that at 44 I'd still like to be taken under someones wing. In some regard my current teacher is like that to a degree. I do realize there are limits to his knowledge. I magine as I have grown in my skills I have also grown to I idealize him less. Thats probably a good thing. I still have a romanticised notion of finding a teacher that sounds like what Peter is talking about. Maybe thats the kind of teacher I'd like to become.

#142489 - 05/12/05 12:21 PM Re: Bu Doc [Re: Kintama]
OneHeartWay Offline

I think what the above posts refer to isn't neccesarily the quality of the style or the way it's taught, but maybe the way the instructor presents himself could make some question his ego. As in Kintama's post, anyone who makes claims to be one of the best in the world, has not remembered that a martial artist is above all things humble.

#142490 - 05/12/05 12:59 PM Re: Bu Doc [Re: OneHeartWay]
Kintama Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Massachusetts
He probably is humble OneHeart, but maybe only to 9 people in the world?

#142491 - 05/12/05 01:38 PM Re: Bu Doc [Re: Kintama]
OneHeartWay Offline

Quote:

He probably is humble OneHeart, but maybe only to 9 people in the world?

which is exactly what i dislike most about the martial arts as we know it today

sorry for the off track thread hijack bu doc

#142492 - 05/12/05 03:05 PM Re: Bu Doc [Re: OneHeartWay]
BuDoc Offline

No problem there OHW. I have come to really apprecite posts made by you on other topics. I have found Kintama to be an excellent source for insights, as well.

I am curious. The two of you appear to have access to information that is giving you a much larger picture than what I am able to see from the info in this thread.

I didn't find Peter's post here to be particularly egotistical. He mentioned that he lurks more than posts, I asked for info, he provided what I asked.

As stated, I find much value in posts placed by you guys. If I am missing something vital, or am misguided, I would take no offense to being placed "on track".

Page

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Ames, Cord, MattJ, Reiki, Ronin1966 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Stun Guns
Variety of stun gun devices for your protection

Buy Pepper Spray
Worry about your family when you’re not around? Visit us today to protect everything you value.

Koryu.com
Accurate information on the ancient martial traditions of the Japanese samurai

C2 Taser
Protect yourself and loved ones from CRIME with the latest C2 Taser citizen model. Very effective.

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga