FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 61 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Shanktotheright, royal, bobgalle100011, agenonline, TooNice
22862 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
THEFOREVERMAN 3
MattJ 2
royal 2
Dobbersky 2
ergees 1
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30
New Topics
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by Marcus Charles
03/24/14 04:39 PM
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by Dobbersky
03/20/14 05:45 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
AKK kata question
by
09/04/05 01:27 PM
Recent Posts
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by THEFOREVERMAN
04/16/14 08:22 AM
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by THEFOREVERMAN
04/16/14 08:20 AM
AKK kata question
by MattJ
04/04/14 05:45 PM
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Forum Stats
22862 Members
36 Forums
35546 Topics
432378 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#141939 - 05/10/05 11:51 AM help!!!
ron Offline

Loc: israel modi'in
i really really want a sword and many others "cold" weapons but my parents are afraid to buy me (or let me buy it by myself) bacause they think i might kill mi sister. can some one tell me what to do???

p.s, my english sucks.

#141940 - 05/10/05 12:07 PM Re: help!!! [Re: ron]
Victor Smith Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Derry, NH
Ron, wanting and needing are two different concepts.

I understand your parent's concerns, just wanting weapons and not being trained is a short path to disaster.

If you really want weapons, I think you need to demonstrate you're working to use them safely. The best way to do this is find a school that includes weapons in their curriculum (often not for beginners) and take the time to gain skill in training till you're ready for weapons study.

At that time you should have convinced your parents that you're desire to have weapons is attached to you being properly trained and having developed skills to use them safely, too.

#141941 - 05/10/05 03:30 PM Re: help!!! [Re: Victor Smith]
ron Offline

first-thanks. second-i showed them that i am skilled allready (enough jet li and jackie chan movies) and i have trained a bit. they (my parents) are saying that i cant control myself when i am angry. i dont know how to prove otherwise (is this the correct spelling?)...

#141942 - 05/10/05 03:46 PM Re: help!!! [Re: ron]
Chatan1979 Offline

Loc: Mahomet , Illinois
copying moves from movies does not equal martial arts training. Find an instructor to teach you how to respect the weapon and to use it properly

#141943 - 05/10/05 04:07 PM Re: help!!! [Re: Chatan1979]
ron Offline

i'm not copying... in hero they talking about respect to the sword... its not copying exsactly (?) its more like getting an inspiration for new moves i invented myself. i have "fast reaction" and i know about the human anatomy. i am flexable enough, i am fast and strong enough. i have a yellow belt in JKD so i think it is a good start. i want to learn some martial art that includes weapons (there are not a lot of these in israel) next year and to have a black belt in any martial art (i dont really care-only not judo-not reallt hitting) but my parents stop me, they dont believe in me enough i suppose...

#141944 - 05/10/05 04:19 PM Re: help!!! [Re: Victor Smith]
Xavier Offline

Loc: Atlanta,Georgia
i have to agree with victor even if u have good reflexes and can do moves off of hero there's alot more to having a sword like maintanence and understandind the traditions that come along with that sword, it also takes training cause without that your just waving around a weapon, and what type of sword do u want to get

#141945 - 05/10/05 04:48 PM Re: help!!! [Re: ron]
coxne Offline

Loc: Ohio, USA
Ron,

First off, to my knowledge, JKD does not have rank belts as it goes against the philosophy, but I could very well be mistaken as I do not practice the art.

Secondly, you are getting inspiration from movies to create your own moves. Chances are, the moves have already been done, so in essence you are not creating anything new.

seek out a qualified instructor in your area. Perhaps your parents will see that you possess a genuine interest in learning a weapons art. If you can not contain your excitement until then, you could possibly ask them to allow you to get a foam practice sword, so that the chances you will injure yourself are significantly less than if you were to use a live blade. I don't know your parents, but chances are they are more worried about you hurting yourself with only a few months of training (none of which are with a sword) than they are about believing in your abilities to copy moves seen on tv.

Good luck.

coxne

#141946 - 05/10/05 09:13 PM Re: help!!! [Re: Victor Smith]
Reiki Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: MiddleEarth
Quote:

Ron, wanting and needing are two different concepts.

I understand your parent's concerns, just wanting weapons and not being trained is a short path to disaster.

If you really want weapons, I think you need to demonstrate you're working to use them safely. The best way to do this is find a school that includes weapons in their curriculum (often not for beginners) and take the time to gain skill in training till you're ready for weapons study.

At that time you should have convinced your parents that you're desire to have weapons is attached to you being properly trained and having developed skills to use them safely, too.

I ditto what Victor has already said. Its exactly what I would have said too.

You need proper instruction and time to learn techniques correctly. There is no short path to learning to use a weapon in the martial arts. Especially for younger students!

You cannot learn this stuff correctly from a video, book or other than with a proper instructor.

Once you have demonstrated that you are responsible to do this correctly and with the patience necessary then I am sure that your parents will view it somewhat differently. In the meantime learn to control your temper and train hard.

#141947 - 05/11/05 02:17 AM Re: help!!! [Re: Reiki]
laf7773 Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Limbo
Additionally if your parents don't feel you have enough self control when your angry to allow you to have weapons there may be a reason for that. These things are not toys and should not be played with. Would you expect your parents to buy you a loaded gun? A sword is a weapon you can't unload.

If you are serious about wanting to work with weapons i advise you to find an instructor, study hard and show more self control. Mimicking movie moves is the farthest thing from what you need.

Believe me, they are a lot more fun when you actually know how to use them.

#141948 - 05/11/05 02:58 AM Re: help!!! [Re: Xavier]
ron Offline

i want a katana

#141949 - 05/11/05 03:03 AM Re: help!!! [Re: coxne]
ron Offline

i will try to ask them for a practice sword. i will train. i agree with you that i didnt actually invent something new... thankyou...

#141950 - 05/11/05 03:09 AM Re: help!!! [Re: Reiki]
ron Offline

i can control my temper bt they dont believe me... i will train harder...

#141951 - 05/11/05 03:13 AM Re: help!!! [Re: laf7773]
ron Offline

i dont want a gun... everyone can kill with a gun, you dont need to have something (except for a gun) to shoot a gun... a gun is not a challenge... next year i'll have an instructor...

#141952 - 05/11/05 05:59 AM Re: help!!! [Re: ron]
Cord Offline
Prolific

Loc: Cambridge UK.
Ron, Marksmanship is a skill of itself, but asides from that, anyone can kill with a sword just as easily if the intent is there.
Your parents concerns seem to be specificaly regarding your sister's safety. I assume that you have brother/sister rows (its only natural) and I get the impression that maybe these get physical? If that is the case then having weapons easily to hand during such times is a really bad idea.
From now on never strike your sister in arguments, just walk away and calm down. Study your JKD with dedication to prove that martial arts is a genuine passion, not a teenage fad you are going through. I should think that once your actions prove you have mastered your emotions, your parents may compromise with you.
Good luck.

#141953 - 05/11/05 06:15 AM Re: help!!! [Re: Cord]
ron Offline

thank you. i'll do this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Cord, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Stun Guns
Variety of stun gun devices for your protection

Buy Pepper Spray
Worry about your family when you’re not around? Visit us today to protect everything you value.

Koryu.com
Accurate information on the ancient martial traditions of the Japanese samurai

C2 Taser
Protect yourself and loved ones from CRIME with the latest C2 Taser citizen model. Very effective.

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga