FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 21 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SenseiGregT, sagat, JFawkes, pluckysaga39, sgtdemeo
22911 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
AndyLA 5
Dobbersky 5
Ed_Morris 4
ergees 3
futsaowingchun 3
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
New Topics
2014 World Championships Chelyabinsk: The Gallery
by ergees
Yesterday at 03:51 AM
Biu Tzu- Snake hand strike
by futsaowingchun
08/27/14 09:02 PM
Chum Kiu 2nd section applications
by futsaowingchun
08/20/14 09:54 PM
2013 World Championship Rio: The Gallery (HD)
by ergees
08/19/14 05:22 AM
Chi Sao demonstration
by futsaowingchun
08/14/14 10:57 PM
Decent Fight channel
by FrankyFruits
08/07/14 09:19 PM
2014 European Championships Cadets Athens: Videos
by ergees
08/07/14 10:00 AM
Life goes on....
by Dobbersky
08/07/14 05:59 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:14 AM
Recent Posts
2014 World Championships Chelyabinsk: The Gallery
by ergees
Yesterday at 03:51 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by Zombie Zero
08/29/14 10:50 PM
mindfullness meditation
by log1call
08/28/14 02:39 AM
Biu Tzu- Snake hand strike
by futsaowingchun
08/27/14 09:02 PM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Ed_Morris
08/26/14 09:58 PM
The Karate punch
by Ed_Morris
08/26/14 09:27 PM
Chum Kiu 2nd section applications
by futsaowingchun
08/20/14 09:54 PM
2013 World Championship Rio: The Gallery (HD)
by ergees
08/19/14 05:22 AM
attacked from behind
by AndyLA
08/16/14 04:59 PM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by VDJ
08/15/14 05:46 PM
Forum Stats
22911 Members
36 Forums
35573 Topics
432484 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5
Topic Options
#141163 - 05/18/05 03:55 PM Re: Is sport degrading karate? [Re: Kintama]
Neko456 Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Midwest City, Ok, USA
A lot of Kalia/Silat teachers think that Karate/TKD are just sports now,and that what they teach has always been for the street. But recently I've seen competition events for these systems, the more popular a Arts gets the more particpants, the more they want to test their skills, the more commercailism. Then the more safety issuses and law suits, then the art gets watered down for saftey now we are doing it for sport and they will be in same shape as Karate. In less then 5 years, unless it done undergroud less publicity, which kills growth.

Some people still have small classes of self defense Karate/Tkd thats geared toward the street.

What I noticed is the opposite the tourney fighter is quicker and faster, hoping on one leg he can kick you 3-5 times. Leave you standing smiling what happened.

The Street training Practictioner is fast but alittel slower, more deliberate, more powerful and you are never left standing or smiling. You may wake up wondering what happened.

#141164 - 05/18/05 04:18 PM Re: Is sport degrading karate? [Re: Neko456]
MattJ Offline
Free Rhinoplasty!
Prolific

Loc: York PA. USA
Quote by Neko456 -

Quote:

The Street training Practictioner is fast but alittel slower, more deliberate, more powerful

I agree with that assessment for the most part. Training to throw deliberate power shots requires a certain amount of body commitment that non-contact practitioners do not need.

This will leave you in harm's way a little longer than just tagging and moving, which may appear to be slower, even though the "street" practitioner is actually just as fast as the non-contact person.

#141165 - 05/18/05 05:16 PM Re: Is sport degrading karate? [Re: MattJ]
nenipp Offline
Veteran

Maybe also more techniques are done in close range, which requires more body work (tai sabaki) and are slower?
(balance-breaking, bumping, joint-locks/breaks...)

#141166 - 05/18/05 05:34 PM Re: Is sport degrading karate? [Re: Neko456]
butterfly Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Torrance, CA
Neko and MattJ,

You hit the nail on the head. My same assement has been that when you are sparring lightly or with point guys, there is quite a bit of speed, but no follow through which allows quicker recovery to send off secondary attacks. It does make it harder for the defender to capitalize on the strikes, but then again...why worry so much if they don't have "Pow" in the shot.

When sparring with a full contact striker, they may be a bit slower in their combos and set up their shots more, but the addtitional commitment and subsequent impact makes these shots hard to ignore.

-B

#141167 - 05/19/05 12:18 AM Re: Is sport degrading karate? [Re: butterfly]
blood_riot_iori Offline
Stranger

hello everyone, i'm new to this site, so bear with me i post something incorrectly or anything. Anywho, this topic intrests me, so i will say a bit about it. Sorry, i know what i'm addressing has been moved on from, but i wanna post anyways:

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

IRBoy says that shotokan karateka's punches are weak, aren't here any shotokan people to address that?
Although my experiance is small enough to disqualify me from speaking on this matter, I will still do so, explicitely from that small experiance:
During my years of training in MA, I've had the pleasure of training together with two shotokan stylists (one shodan and one 1.kyu).
Although the focus of their training was different from that of my own (and different from each other's too, come to think of it), both possessed (and for all I know, still possess) strong and fast punches!
Just my two cents...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

hmmm this is interesting, if u were to read up about shotokan karate you will find that shotokan is KNOWN for its STRONG punches. I am a black belt in shotokan karate, but i have also trained in tae kwon do, kajukenpo, shito ryu and judo. None of them were even close to having the punching of shotokan and i know judo is grappling so thats exempted, not to knock any other style because they have strong punches and i'm sure there are many people within those styles who have powerful punches, but throughout my training shotokan is the most powerful i've seen and its because of our training, constant repitition of the basics. Also, my school does not even compete in tournaments its all basics, kata and kumite, no sport. Sounds to me like ur friends are at a mcdojo. So before u speak about what u do not know think first Ishiinryu Boy.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

I have personally trained with Shotokanwarrior19 for 2 years now, and will continue to do so for many more. I know it's kinda bad to single out one person for making an ignorant comment, but IRBoy really got me riled when he made the comment about our style's (shotokan) punches being weak. As Shotokanwarrior19 stated, his friends must have been at a mcdojo, or facing off against some newcomers to the style, because of anyone here has ever been struck by a WELL taught shotokan fighter, they could attest to his statement being completely inaccurate. I am the kind of person who has respect for ANY style of karate-do or any martial art in general as long as it represents the teachings of self defense in a way that can actually be applied correctly, as in, not sport. I personally feel that sport karate has it's uses, but to me, they are more limited to that of the conditioning body strengthening that you'd gain from performing sport karate. From that aspect, i agree that it is not degrading, but to compair something that will as many people stated already, possibly get you killed because you try to take on a fight you're not prepared for, than i have to boo it, because to me, karate and other martial arts aren't a contest to see who's kicks look the prettiest, and who can fly the furthest when they jump, it's a means of building self confidence, and being able to step up when you have to, to defend yourself and those you love. Sorry if i rambled, but that's my feelings on the subject. Nice posting here and i hope to many times in the future.

Edited by blood_riot_iori (05/19/05 12:21 AM)

#141168 - 05/19/05 11:38 AM Re: Is sport degrading karate? [Re: blood_riot_iori]
AgenT Offline

The last time I had the honor to train with a shotokan guy, he missed a punch and nearly put his hand through the wall. I wouldnt call that weak, the guy wasnt that big ethier.

#141169 - 05/21/05 08:56 AM Re: Is sport degrading karate? [Re: AgenT]
shotokan Offline

Hi all, this is my first post - and suitably a topic i have recently had experience with.

First of ill just give u a little background so you can believe me! For many years I practiced shotokan karate and was member of the KUGB, training under Sensei Ronnie Christopher, grading under Sensei Frank Brennan and was awarded my 1st Dan my the late and great Sensei Enoeda at the age of 11! I competed regularly in regional and national competitions in the KUGB framework (plus some allstyles comps where we fought against kungfu etc) until i was 16, at which time i got distracted. (which is another story!)

I am at university in Manchester, one of the main reasons being i wanted to restart my study and the university has an excellent instructor in Sensei Garry Harford, who happened to be a close friend of my original Sensei. It was not long until the clubs university obligations came around and we had to compete in the BUSA karate championships. This was a long way away from what I was used to as "traditional" KUGB Shotokan Kumite. My clubmates (2 of whom are currently in the England senior squad) had warned me about how ridiculous it was...

The BUSA was vey "modern sports karate" orientated, where light knuckle mitts are worn and flashy gi's were the norm.. Points were awarded for "strikes that had good intent" which quickly learned to be "strikes that were clean in technique, but missed." And for "ficking techniques" that still baffles me. Despite our club coming second, which is testament to our Sensei, I cant help but feel that the whole experience was degrading to the art.

Just my "2cents", sorry my first post was a little rant!

Steven

Edited by shotokan (05/21/05 08:57 AM)

#141170 - 05/21/05 09:00 AM Re: Is sport degrading karate? [Re: shotokan]
shotokan Offline

oh, and on to on the topic of "shotokan punches being weak," Id like to say that in my "sabbatical" from shotokan I started full contact kickboxing, and i assure you my 6/6KO amateur record does not testify to weak shotokan punching... :P

#141171 - 05/23/05 06:19 PM Re: Is sport degrading karate? [Re: AgenT]
PineForest Offline

Loc: Nebraska
I do not care much for sport karate, but I do believe it has an interesting training purpose that is difficult (though, not impossible) to create in a dojo environment. In a life threatening situation, the number one obstacle to quick and proper reaction is the tension and anxiety (fear) of what may happen. One may be excellent at sparring fellow karate-ka in the dojo, but the anxiety and stress that is created can literally freeze your reaction and confuse your typically focused mind. A similar--albeit lesser--reaction can be experienced in a tournament situation. If you are sparring in tournaments, obviously you put a high value on winning your match. This creates a similar obstacle of tension and stress (or fear). Learning to surpass this physical reaction is a very valuable Karate lesson that translates directly into self defense. Since Mas Oyama's hundred man kumite is not common in many dojos anymore, this seems to be a modern day solution.

This being said, I still think a sad result of sport training is the belief that these high flying, tit-for-tat techniques are also effective against someone who wants to do you harm and isn't playing by the rules. I think it's the instructor's responsibility to clarify this to his/her students.

#141172 - 05/24/05 12:11 AM Re: Is sport degrading karate? [Re: AgenT]
Isshinryukid4life Offline
Professional Injury causer

Loc: Knoxville.
I've,Said this many times before,& I might as well say it again.
Sport karate is okay,But tomuch sport & not enough self defense;will not help in a selfdefense situation.

Certainly,If a person would use kumite & nothing else,
He/she would more than likely try to score a point,Then to defend his/herself.

Also,The majority of fights are too close to attempt any kumite, Patty cake technique.

I Was pondering about this the other day,& I believe with the majority children watching what's on the TV/movies,Just might be why sport karate is chosen over self defense.
For example,The child will see their hero perform a highkick,The child or teen will do the samething in order just to be like that person on the television.

I've also, known some "instructors" That have taught kumite,Rather then teaching selfdefense, The reason for that's b/c his/her instructor did'nt self defense either.
It could also be,That some instructors are just too lazy to instruct the students,What should've been taught b/c the studnts are dictating what should be taught.
Which is part of the problem,The Instructor gives in b/c the children will have fun,& Yet that's when false confidence takes over.

So,The answer to the original question is yes,Sport is degrading karate.

Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5

Moderator:  Ames, Cord, MattJ, Reiki, Ronin1966 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Ryukyu Art
Artifacts from the Ryukyu Kingdom missing since WWII. Visit www.ShisaLion.Org to view pictures

Best Stun Guns
Self Defense Products-stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and more

Surveillance 4U
Complete surveillance systems for covert operations or secure installation security

Asylum Images
Book presents photo tour of the Trans-Allegany Lunatic Asylum. A must if you're going to take a ghost tour!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga