FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 39 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
ksusanc, kellypnik123, leyinn, Ron_Cooley, businns
22902 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Dobbersky 12
trevek 6
cxt 6
JKogas 5
TaekwonDoFan 2
July
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
New Topics
centerline concepts
by futsaowingchun
07/14/14 10:49 PM
language of syllabus
by trevek
07/11/14 03:36 PM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:14 AM
10 San Sik drills-Wing Chun's foundation
by futsaowingchun
06/30/14 11:20 AM
"Ip Man" and "Ip Man 2" the movies.
by TaekwonDoFan
06/30/14 11:02 AM
Iaido movements speed
by TooNice
04/14/14 01:47 PM
Anderson Silva - Leg Break
by Dobbersky
12/30/13 08:32 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
Gi or no Gi Grappling?
by Prizewriter
04/16/12 02:48 PM
MMA - A passing Fad
by Dobbersky
04/12/12 11:16 AM
Recent Posts
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by Dobbersky
Today at 07:16 AM
centerline concepts
by Dobbersky
07/18/14 06:14 AM
language of syllabus
by trevek
07/14/14 04:50 PM
Gi or no Gi Grappling?
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:38 AM
MMA - A passing Fad
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:35 AM
Anderson Silva - Leg Break
by Dobbersky
07/09/14 06:13 AM
Throwing
by JKogas
07/03/14 07:40 PM
10 San Sik drills-Wing Chun's foundation
by futsaowingchun
06/30/14 11:20 AM
"Ip Man" and "Ip Man 2" the movies.
by TaekwonDoFan
06/30/14 11:02 AM
Forget all that health stuff
by TaekwonDoFan
06/29/14 03:18 AM
Forum Stats
22902 Members
36 Forums
35563 Topics
432449 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#140905 - 05/09/05 12:39 PM Defining Karate
Victor Smith Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Derry, NH
With a new forum dedicated to karate, it might be best to first investigate what karate is.

The term karate originally arose to cover a rather specific group of Okinawan teaching practices.

Those practices were extended when a very limited version of them where taught in the Okinawan school systems.

Then another series of variations began when karate practices were exported to Japan beginning in the 1920ís. In short order styles were created, uniforms and rank adopted, and instructors with little traditional karate training experience creating systems, sometimes under Okinawan supervision and sometimes not, sometimes with indigenous Japanese arts thrown in. In many senses those karate practices were very different from the Okinawan origins.

Time passed, WWII intervened destroying many of the seniors in karate, and after the war new standards and practices entered both the Okinawan and Japanese strains.

Additionally those arts were taught to the occupying forces of Japan and Okinawa and a new migration took place. Further divergence from original intent, more other practices being adopted and shuffled in, etc.

Till karate becomes a generic name that may have almost nothing to do with the variations off of original practices.

If one had to pick a generic description of what Karate ought to describe, the closest model might be, systems of training that include the study and practice of kata as their central training tool. Likewise a system of instruction that is designed to be covered in about two decades of training (give or take a decade or two) before one truly has a basic grasp of what the system involved has to offer.

Other valuable systems of martial study, traditional and non-traditional do exist, but if they donít fit the above definition, there is question whether they are truly describing karate.

Personally I donít like the every tissue is Kleenex definitions that are often given as karate.

Based on my suggested version, much that uses the karate label does not fit a reasonable definition and something else should be applied.

Victor Smith
bushi no te isshinryu

#140906 - 05/09/05 02:13 PM Re: Defining Karate [Re: Victor Smith]
Kintama Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Massachusetts
Nicely put, Victor.
I'd like to add: Like any other field of study and practice, there must be purpose and intent.
I find it hard to define Karate without mentioning 'Self-Defense' and 'Self-Improvement'.

Purpose and intent itself, has lineage.

I believe, and correct me if I'm off-base, that the intent of Karate, was to provide a Way (path) for a practioner to aquire a method of self-defence thru a process of incorporating into character:
* self-realization (awareness of mind),
* strengthening of body and ever-improving technique,
* development of spirit (via respect,morals and determination).

EVERYTHING has a predecessor and successor. Each successor has the shadow of it's former self.

If Karate's purpose is 'Self-Defense' thru character development,
then Karate's predecessor would have been
"Self-Preservation" thru tried and tested life or death combat.

Using popularity as a guidline, it seems Karate's successor will be for Sport...

from
"Self-Preservation" thru combat.
to
"Self-Defense" thru character.
to
"Self-Betterment" thru sport.

I don't think of the past, original and present form of Karate as separate and distinct...they overlap and fade into each other depending on the person, their experiences and their training.

That's just the way I see Karate...It's only one opinion.
-Ed

#140907 - 05/10/05 06:36 AM Re: Defining Karate [Re: Kintama]
SANCHIN31 Offline
Former Moderator

Loc: Arkansas, U.S.
Those are good definitions of karate that everyone should consider when they call theirself training in karate. Good job!

#140908 - 05/10/05 09:08 AM Re: Defining Karate [Re: SANCHIN31]
Bushi_no_ki Offline
Veteran

Loc: POM, Monterey CA
Well, lets add to the definition by bringing the "do" suffix into it. Karate is a way of life. It's about dedicating yourself to improvement every day of your life. It's about higher ideals and principles. It ceases to be Karate when you train to learn how to "kick butt".

#140909 - 05/10/05 05:03 PM Re: Defining Karate [Re: Bushi_no_ki]
Sanchin Offline

Quote:

Well, lets add to the definition by bringing the "do" suffix into it. Karate is a way of life. It's about dedicating yourself to improvement every day of your life. It's about higher ideals and principles. It ceases to be Karate when you train to learn how to "kick butt".

Karate is still karate if you train to kick butt, karate is a very real and brutal method of kicking butt.

#140910 - 05/10/05 09:17 PM Re: Defining Karate [Re: Sanchin]
Victor Smith Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Derry, NH
From my perspective its not about 'Do' or about kicking butt.

The use of the Japanese concept of Do applies there is Jutsu, a duality that was not the original way. The development of te into karate was non-verbal. Sure it bettered ones life and sure the techniques could break an attacker, but the original appears to be mostly non-verbal, without any wrap around vocabulary.

Dan Smith of the Seibukan has written that the original teachings didn't even include a techincal term for punch or block, just a general term for 'put the hand here', as you were shown.

What karate is, is not simply defined as one thing or another. Just as how it is taught really depends on the demands of the time and the place it is being taught.

The most problemetical thing about using simple descriptive terms for what karate is, is the fact those terms make you loose sight of the entire picture.

I really think its a shame that so many Japanese concept were adopted on Okinawa, a gradual effect of Japan controlling the education system for 100 years.

The duality in japan of kenjutsu becoming kendo is quiant for those that really worry about swords.

But karate is simpler and vaster than the terms.

The only real binding tradition I hold to is 1)kata and 2)time to really study.

#140911 - 05/10/05 10:58 PM Re: Defining Karate [Re: Victor Smith]
BuDoc Offline
The doctor will see you now

Loc: USA and Abroad
Once again Mr. Smith, you have eloquently put to type thoughts that I could never convey.

There are some really thoughtful replies here on a subject that is nearly impossible to define.

Thank you all.

Page

#140912 - 05/10/05 11:25 PM Re: Defining Karate [Re: Sanchin]
Camilo_kun Offline

Loc: Chile
Quote:

Karate is still karate if you train to kick butt, karate is a very real and brutal method of kicking butt.

Man!!! no, no!!
I'm a begginer of karate budo shotokai, and all that i learn is that karate is for my spirit, mint and soul. I hope never have to use karate for fight...
All you people that use karate for fight, for kick ass and stuff are really practicing a "american influenced karate" (in other words, not the real karate). In shotokai they teach us like Master Egami, the karate is for auto knowledge and confidence.
I think that Budo Shotokai (and shotokan) are the real Japanese Karate. The real essence of karate is not for "kick ass" you know?

#140913 - 05/10/05 11:51 PM Re: Defining Karate [Re: Camilo_kun]
BuDoc Offline
The doctor will see you now

Loc: USA and Abroad
Camilo, you are probably going to get alot of responses to this. Here is mine, for what it's worth.

"Real" karate as developed on Okinawa was designed to quickly and effectively disable/destroy your opponent. There was no concern about uplifting your spirit or becoming a better person.

Becoming a better person, physical fitness, honing the spirit, self confidence, etc. are all very nice side-effects.

Karate today has evolved greatly. It is many things to many people. It has as many different philosophical and physical applications as there are practioners. When you boil it down and distil it, in it's simplest form it begs the question, can you defeat your opponent?

Achieving peace,tranquility,harmony while exercising the mind and soul, can be accomplished through a multitude of physical tasks. Why then do we learn to fight? Why not peace and harmony and tranquility through tree climbing?

Good luck in your Shotokan/Shotokai training. I think you will find that the Japanification of Karate will help you find the things you are looking for. However I am certain that most of the "real" karate has been removed.

Page

#140914 - 05/11/05 12:08 AM Re: Defining Karate [Re: BuDoc]
Camilo_kun Offline

Loc: Chile
Yes you are right, about karate- do . I practice karate- budo , total different. The "bu" is like a magical word

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Ames, Cord, MattJ, Reiki, Ronin1966 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Fight Videos
Night club fight footage and street fights captured with the world's first bouncer spy cam

How to Matrix!
Learn ten times faster with new training method. Learn entire arts for as little as $10 per disk.

Self Defense
Stun guns, pepper spray, Mace and self defense products. Alarms for personal and home use.

TASER MC26C
Stop An Urban Gorilla: Get 2 FREE TASER M26C Replacement Air Cartridges With Each New TASER M26C!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga