FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 67 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Shanktotheright, royal, bobgalle100011, agenonline, TooNice
22862 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
THEFOREVERMAN 3
MattJ 2
royal 2
Dobbersky 2
UKfightfreak 1
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30
New Topics
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by Marcus Charles
03/24/14 04:39 PM
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by Dobbersky
03/20/14 05:45 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
AKK kata question
by
09/04/05 01:27 PM
Recent Posts
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by THEFOREVERMAN
04/16/14 08:22 AM
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by THEFOREVERMAN
04/16/14 08:20 AM
AKK kata question
by MattJ
04/04/14 05:45 PM
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Forum Stats
22862 Members
36 Forums
35546 Topics
432378 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#140304 - 05/08/05 05:41 PM Horizontal Fist Or Verticl Fist?
Kataman23 Offline

Loc: Honolulu, Hawaii
What are the advantages of both? Is one scientifically proven to provide more power?

#140305 - 05/11/05 02:22 PM Re: Horizontal Fist Or Verticl Fist? [Re: Kataman23]
myself Offline

i train using both, just in different situations e.g. horizontal for long range boxing, vertical for infighting/trapping etc. i is my understanding that if you punch out for about 3/4 of the way with a vertical fist and then snap it into a horizontal fist at the end to create a whip effect. it is harder to see the punch coming if it is vertical so this gives you a quick and relatively safe initiation. twisting your fist gives you angular momentum/kinetic energy as well as the linear momentum/kinetic energy provided from the vertical starting position. so to cut a long story short, i believe horizontal gives you more power. i may of course be incorrect.

#140306 - 05/17/05 03:00 AM Re: Horizontal Fist Or Verticl Fist? [Re: myself]
Cord Offline
Prolific

Loc: Cambridge UK.
The theory is that you use whichever will give greatest contact with the target. eg. a verticle fist is useless if punching the throat- it wont get there.

I like verticle for strikes to the face, you cant really pick small targets on the face accurately so with verticle fist you stand a better chance of getting something usefull (nose,chin etc).
As for power,it comes from your legs and torso so the position of your hand has little bearing on the power of your punch.

#140307 - 05/17/05 07:25 AM Re: Horizontal Fist Or Verticl Fist? [Re: Cord]
JKogas Offline
Prolific

Loc: North Carolina
I tend to prefer horizontal fists. More often than not in real fights, both people are trading. From that stand-point, horizontal punches offer more defensive protection as your elbow and shoulder rotates to hide your chin. Vertical punching leaves your elbows down and thus leave your face wide open. Thats ok providing that you're not being swung at. That's the not the reality that I've seen however.

Accuracy in punching is just a matter of having developed it through training. With practice it becomes pretty easy to land those blows right on target.

Horizontal fists also have more power as it's easier to get your weight transference behind them - particularly when throwing combinations.

-John

#140308 - 05/17/05 08:24 AM Re: Horizontal Fist Or Verticl Fist? [Re: JKogas]
MattJ Offline
Free Rhinoplasty!
Prolific

Loc: York PA. USA
JKogas -

I see your point about the elbow position re: horizontal punches, but I have not noticed a big power difference between those and verticals.

I use a lot of vertical punches, even on hooks, etc.

#140309 - 05/17/05 02:56 PM Re: Horizontal Fist Or Verticl Fist? [Re: MattJ]
Talimas Offline

Loc: Cleveland, Ohio
Your punches loose power when you allow your elbows to come up to the sides. If you are twisting your hips and pushing off your rear leg to throw and punch, why split that force and momentum into 2 directions. Out for the elbow and forward for the fist? Let your elbow follow your hand to the target both keeping the full force and momentum as well as concealing your technique as much as you can.

As to the actual difference between horizontal and vertical punches the whip at the end of a horizontal punch will add additional power but nothing to make or break the technique.

#140310 - 05/17/05 07:03 PM Re: Horizontal Fist Or Verticl Fist? [Re: Talimas]
DBZInspired Offline

Loc: United States, Georgia, Atlant...
Just one thing I want to point out you can chang your fist from verticle to horisontal without moving your elbow, cause its all in the wrists.

#140311 - 05/17/05 08:36 PM Re: Horizontal Fist Or Verticl Fist? [Re: Kataman23]
Diga Offline

Loc: Hoodsport, Washington
Years ago when I read the Dillman method of pressure point fighting - he mentioned that the position of greatest power in a forward fist strike is ( palm down ) about 45 degrees. Besides being a great angle to get into the solar plex and many other targets it also aligned the bones in the forearm for better ability to add your complete body behind it without stressing the bones.

I decided he was correct when I experimented with the angles on my heavy bag and punch board.

Don't forget the palm and hammer hand strikes. These can be done harder than anything else if you have the room to use it - like side or top of head shots.

#140312 - 05/20/05 07:34 PM Re: Horizontal Fist Or Verticl Fist? [Re: Diga]
Rumble Offline

Burton Richardson told me that they use the vertical fist but at the last minute of impact they turn the fist to make like a screw or twisting effect that does more damage. I have found through my own experiences that it does do more damage but it lacks the retracting speed to reload and counter so you will have to adjust it to your own situations.

#140313 - 05/23/05 12:09 AM Re: Horizontal Fist Or Verticl Fist? [Re: Rumble]
Chen Zen Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Ms
I use a horixontal punch with my cross and jab, or baoxing blast, if you will. On a hook Im comffortable with a vertical fist and in a power punch like a straight right i tend to use a forty five degree angle

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Cord, JKogas, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Stun Guns
Variety of stun gun devices for your protection

Buy Pepper Spray
Worry about your family when you’re not around? Visit us today to protect everything you value.

Koryu.com
Accurate information on the ancient martial traditions of the Japanese samurai

C2 Taser
Protect yourself and loved ones from CRIME with the latest C2 Taser citizen model. Very effective.

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga