FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 49 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Shanktotheright, royal, bobgalle100011, agenonline, TooNice
22862 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
THEFOREVERMAN 3
Dobbersky 2
MattJ 2
royal 2
Jeff_G 1
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30
New Topics
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by Marcus Charles
03/24/14 04:39 PM
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by Dobbersky
03/20/14 05:45 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
AKK kata question
by
09/04/05 01:27 PM
Recent Posts
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by THEFOREVERMAN
04/16/14 08:22 AM
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by THEFOREVERMAN
04/16/14 08:20 AM
AKK kata question
by MattJ
04/04/14 05:45 PM
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Forum Stats
22862 Members
36 Forums
35546 Topics
432378 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#140192 - 05/08/05 02:47 PM Makiwara or no Makiwara
AgenT Offline

Today when most train karate they now substitute makiwara training, with bagwork or the use of other equipment. I feel a valuable tool may be overlooked. I began makiwara training when I was a yonkyu, and after a while changed to other equipment. I just recently took up makiwara training again, and can see a considerable difference in my power, and accuracy. I'm curious to know peoples views, do you see this as a damaging uneeded tool, or a essential piece of equipment. It comes as no surprise to me that old time karate masters saw it as needed.

Teach what you know,regardless of when you learned it--teach what you learned yesterday sagely, as if you have kown it all your life, and teach what you have known for decades with enthusiasm, as if you learned it only yesterday

#140193 - 05/08/05 06:31 PM Re: Makiwara or no Makiwara [Re: AgenT]
SANCHIN31 Offline
Former Moderator

Loc: Arkansas, U.S.
I found makiwara to be hard on my joints and just not worth it. I prefer to stick to bagwork.

#140194 - 05/08/05 07:02 PM Re: Makiwara or no Makiwara [Re: AgenT]
BAMA REDNECK9000 Offline

Loc: ALABAMA
I own a Mkiwara but dont train on it a whole lot any more becuz everyone at the forums suggested I start training on it later becuz I'm only 13, but when I was training on it a lot, it did supply me with acuracy and power and I still train on it about once a week but at my age too much could be bad for my joints.

#140195 - 05/08/05 08:39 PM Re: Makiwara or no Makiwara [Re: AgenT]
GojuRyuboy13 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: U.S. of A.
I have my own makiwara too, but I don't train on it that much. I think it is good for form and striking with the first two, and also strengthening the knuckles but after a while it would probably bring more negative effects then positive.
Oh well

#140196 - 05/08/05 08:57 PM Re: Makiwara or no Makiwara [Re: GojuRyuboy13]
AgenT Offline

I agree it can damage the hands, but only if done to much, and usually only if you arent used to it and try to start out at full power. I usually do 30-45 punches and kicks on the makiwara every 2-3 days. Thats a pretty good pace, the reason I prefer makiwara over bagwork is I have little space at my house for equipment so a outdoor makiwara gives me something to train on. I got a heavy bag but its rather worn, just cover the makiwara when done and it lasts much longer. It never bothered my joints and the only time I hurt my hands was in the beginning because they werent conditioned. Thats one thing bagwork dont do to well compared to a makiwara it dont condition the hands.

-----------
Teach what you know,regardless of when you learned it, teach what you learned yesterday sagely, as if you have kown it all your life, and teach what you have known for decades with enthusiam, as if you learned it only yesterday

#140197 - 05/08/05 09:22 PM Re: Makiwara or no Makiwara [Re: AgenT]
SANCHIN31 Offline
Former Moderator

Loc: Arkansas, U.S.
I'm not a real big fan of breaking down the body for conditioning. In the long run it makes you weaker.
If your heavybag is worn just wrap it up with duct tape.

#140198 - 05/08/05 11:05 PM Re: Makiwara or no Makiwara [Re: SANCHIN31]
AgenT Offline

I see what your saying, of course it breaks down the body if done excessivly, but I'm talking about using it with commonsense. I already got the bag wrapped in tape, I do way more bag work then makiwara training anyway. Also since I made the striking surface on the makiwara from a cork like material, it has plenty of give and wont damage my hands, allowing me to go at full power.I still believe if done correctly it does condition the hands and is good for learning to generate force without making your body a huge shock absorber. It's just a preference of mine, I feel I get more feedback from it then a heavybag even though I practice on it less.

#140199 - 05/09/05 12:24 PM Re: Makiwara or no Makiwara [Re: AgenT]
Alejandro Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Las Cruces, NM USA
I use makiwara, and have for quite a few years with no problems. One key factor is the makiwara itself. Those who have joint problems as a result of makiwara training are likely striking a very stiff makiwara. The makiwara must be rather springy, so to absorb the force of the strike. Think about it: when you punch someone, do you want your force to be transmitted completely into your target, or do you want most of it to go right back into your own body? So a springy makiwara is necessary for your own safety, and for proper power development.

The makiwara and heavy bag are different, and teach different things. Too much of either will be detrimental. Bag work allows more leeway in technique, often resulting in unfocused technique. Makiwara punishes you if your alignment and body movement isn't perfect. There is a greater risk of hand injury on a makiwara than the bag. I feel that the best karate waza is learned on the makiwara as opposed to the bag, but I train with both. Either way, to truly learn karate, some form of heavy impact training is an absolute must.

#140200 - 05/09/05 03:10 PM Re: Makiwara or no Makiwara [Re: AgenT]
shotokanwarrior19 Offline

Loc: Cortland, OH, USA
I have a makiwara board at my house and i use it occasionally, and my dojo also has them. I don't use them on a daily basis because i have a heavy bag i use more often, but i think they are a good training tool for accuracy and power, the old masters really stressed the use of makiwara board training, so i'm sure there is good reason for why they did.

#140201 - 05/09/05 03:27 PM Re: Makiwara or no Makiwara [Re: AgenT]
sweep the leg Offline

I agree with Al's points above. if you don't hit a makiwara, you are limiting your training.

Makiwara is great for traing karates' straight punches. use the bag for boxing punches.

if your joints hurt, you may be using a bad makiwara, maybe bad technique.

makiwara should be springy. lean into it in front stance & cross punch. lift front leg. bodyweight should lean it back a few inches, but still supported.

when you hit, drive the surface back a few inches. penetrate through the target. don't bounce off.

makiwara gives great feedback. you can't hide any glitches in technique. also unforgiving if you hit it poorly.

have a good striking surface. nothing fancy, old flip flop soles will do.

if i have to straigh punch a bag, i prefer a hanging one from a free standing. regardless, both react differently to straight punches. train hooks on bag.

makiwara's great for building power. how do you expect to knock someone down/out if you always hit the air?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Ames, Cord, MattJ, Reiki, Ronin1966 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Stun Guns
Variety of stun gun devices for your protection

Buy Pepper Spray
Worry about your family when you’re not around? Visit us today to protect everything you value.

Koryu.com
Accurate information on the ancient martial traditions of the Japanese samurai

C2 Taser
Protect yourself and loved ones from CRIME with the latest C2 Taser citizen model. Very effective.

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga