FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 33 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SenseiGregT, sagat, JFawkes, pluckysaga39, sgtdemeo
22911 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
AndyLA 5
Dobbersky 5
Ed_Morris 4
futsaowingchun 3
ergees 2
August
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
New Topics
Biu Tzu- Snake hand strike
by futsaowingchun
08/27/14 09:02 PM
Chum Kiu 2nd section applications
by futsaowingchun
08/20/14 09:54 PM
2013 World Championship Rio: The Gallery (HD)
by ergees
08/19/14 05:22 AM
Chi Sao demonstration
by futsaowingchun
08/14/14 10:57 PM
Decent Fight channel
by FrankyFruits
08/07/14 09:19 PM
2014 European Championships Cadets Athens: Videos
by ergees
08/07/14 10:00 AM
Life goes on....
by Dobbersky
08/07/14 05:59 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:14 AM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Recent Posts
** Introduce Yourself! **
by Zombie Zero
Yesterday at 10:50 PM
mindfullness meditation
by log1call
08/28/14 02:39 AM
Biu Tzu- Snake hand strike
by futsaowingchun
08/27/14 09:02 PM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Ed_Morris
08/26/14 09:58 PM
The Karate punch
by Ed_Morris
08/26/14 09:27 PM
Chum Kiu 2nd section applications
by futsaowingchun
08/20/14 09:54 PM
2013 World Championship Rio: The Gallery (HD)
by ergees
08/19/14 05:22 AM
attacked from behind
by AndyLA
08/16/14 04:59 PM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by VDJ
08/15/14 05:46 PM
Chi Sao demonstration
by futsaowingchun
08/14/14 10:57 PM
Forum Stats
22911 Members
36 Forums
35572 Topics
432483 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#140035 - 03/13/06 12:23 PM Re: History of Tae Kwon Do [Re: MattJ]
tkdwarrior Offline

Loc: USA
excellent job on the history. You really put time into your research. Thanks, I enjoyed reading the post.

#140036 - 03/29/06 05:53 PM Re: History of Tae Kwon Do [Re: tkdwarrior]
shaokhan79 Offline

regarding the hwoarang...

perhaps back in the days, the flower thing was not associated with gay imagery... different times, different culture.

i'm korean and i always considered the hwoarang as a school of thought for young males which was to breed nationalism/patriotism in times of war...

tho some textbooks for school children might over play their martial role, their influence in the unification of kroea back in the 3 kingsdom days cannot be ignored.

one of the most famous general (kim yu shin) was a hwoarang
in his youth. he was a silla general and contributed greatly in the unification.

their is also a famous tale of a hwoarang youth doing almost a suicidal charge against the baekje army, was captured, released (due to his young age) and charged again then to be killed. apparently this sacrifice gave inspiration/motivation/courage and silla army won that battle.

i sensed a bias against the history of hwoarang so i felt i needed to add some things. tho i grew up in korea until in the early 1980's (prime target age and time for propaganda), i personnaly was unaware of the hwoarang martials > samurai image.

i can tell you about other crap that i heard against communists (north korea, USSR, china) and vs japan tho... now i know better

hopefully, the current education system is less biased...

#140037 - 04/04/06 08:10 AM Re: History of Tae Kwon Do [Re: shaokhan79]
Dobbersky Offline
Peace Works!!!!
Enthusiast

Loc: Manchester United Kingdom
Guys

Does anyone have the lineage between Tang Soo Do and Tae Kwon Do as I Trained in Tang Soo Do Mu Duk Kwan and the information I read placed direct lineage from Tang Soo Do to Tae kwon Do, I've not seen the Hyungs of Tae Kwon Do are they not disimilar to the Tang Soo Do Hyungs. I had to give up Tang Soo Do as Grading/monthly prices were going too high and turn Japanese Karate/Jujitsu, this is a shame as I would have been 3rd Red to be taking my Midnight Blue/Black belt in the fall

with all respect

Ken

#140038 - 04/12/06 02:35 AM Re: History of Tae Kwon Do [Re: MattJ]
TeK9 Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Northern California, USA
I'ved been holding off, but the truth is I CREATED TAEKWONDO, yep I said it, it was me. I TEK created TKD. It's a cross between karate and an Ancient Mayan game. The mayans used to bunt a ball around in a court yard using their ligs,knees and feet and chest. You could not used your hands. The object was to get the ball into a ring loop, it was almost as if playing basketball, by the way I created that too, based off this sport.

Many of you can see the influence, as I said in this ancient mayan game, you could not use your hands, which explains much of the low if any gaurd being used durring TKD sparring. The game was played using the legs,m which explains the many kicks in the TKD arsenal, and as I said he chest was allowed, so you could bump the ball of the chest which helps when passing it to friends, similar to soccer. This can be seen in TKD sparring when the opponents get within close range and they do all that chest bumping. Although the game was played for life and death. The loser losing their lives, perferably their heads, and the winner recieving nothing.

I aded the pretty V-neck uniforms later on, and I basically wanted to keep the sport full contact, so I added some light sparring gear, cuz I'm not compassionateless you know.

OKay so now you all know, TKD is a blend of karate (not saying which one) and an ancient mayan sport, which looks very similar to subak, but those korean guys totally copied us, cuz we trying to set up an international league, and some folks got ahold of the rule book and totally jacked us. but oh well, i hear they didn;t get it completely cuz it was banend or something.

I know people wil read this because I posted it, I bet some of you wil get pissy with me and ask me for proof of this. But I tell you, its all true.

-Tek
Vinci

#140039 - 06/09/06 03:10 PM Re: History of Tae Kwon Do [Re: TeK9]
Mike_L Offline

Loc: Rio Rancho NM/Louisville KY (U...
I saw him.

#140040 - 06/09/06 03:13 PM Re: History of Tae Kwon Do [Re: Dobbersky]
Mike_L Offline

They are two diffrent Martial arts. Tang soo do was first called Tang soo do, then the Korean government wanted to rename all Korean Martial arts Taekwondo. The founders/students of Tang soo do, and many other Korean Martial arts opposed this, so some of which actually sued the Korean government for the right to call it Tang soo do, and the rest is as they say history.

#140041 - 06/20/06 07:21 AM Re: History of Tae Kwon Do [Re: Mike_L]
Isshinryukid4life Offline
Professional Injury causer

Loc: Knoxville.
Quote:

They are two diffrent Martial arts. Tang soo do was first called Tang soo do, then the Korean government wanted to rename all Korean Martial arts Taekwondo. The founders/students of Tang soo do, and many other Korean Martial arts opposed this, so some of which actually sued the Korean government for the right to call it Tang soo do, and the rest is as they say history.

Nope!Tae su du was the name of what we know as tkd of today.

#140042 - 06/23/06 03:41 PM Re: History of Tae Kwon Do [Re: Isshinryukid4life]
Mike_L Offline

No, that was Tae soo do by the way. I was not saying Tang soo do was part of Taekwondo, the original plan of Choi, and the Korean government was to unite all Korean martial arts under the banner name Tae kwon do. This was unrealistic, and in the end did not turn out that way. Tang soo do was never a part of Taekwondo, but it like many other Korean martial arts at that time was going to be called Taekwondo. Many opposed this, and it never really happened.

#140043 - 07/03/06 02:43 AM Re: History of Tae Kwon Do [Re: Mike_L]
Isshinryukid4life Offline
Professional Injury causer

Loc: Knoxville.
Alright,then,In what year did the korean gov want to name it korean karate/tae su do?
You've better think about this one,B/c they did'nt call it tkd until later on,& I doubt anyone at that time sued the korean gov,As there was a dictatorship at the time;in other words it was'nt a democracy.

#140044 - 07/11/06 03:33 PM Re: History of Tae Kwon Do [Re: Isshinryukid4life]
Mike_L Offline

1945, Korean Kong soo do federation, 1955 banner name Tae kwon do is coined by general Choi. Tae "to kick or strike with the foot" kwon "to punch or strike with the foot" do "art or way" roughly translated "the art of kicking and punching", or "the way of foot and fist", among other ways. It was general Choi's vision to unite the many Korean Kwans (styles) under the banner name Tae kwon do, (also with Japanese Shotokan Karate-do). It was not until after south Korea became a democracy, that the law suits began, originally many schools kept the original names of their kwans. However the name TKD was being used to describe anything form Tang soo do to subak, purely for publicity reasons. After a while TKD had developed into it's own unique martial art, with its own patterns, sparring types, self defense, and applications. The WTF and ITF were founded, and time went on. Tang soo do and Taekwondo remained sepreate.

Now if you would kindly STFU!!

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Stun Guns
Variety of stun gun devices for your protection

Buy Pepper Spray
Worry about your family when you’re not around? Visit us today to protect everything you value.

Koryu.com
Accurate information on the ancient martial traditions of the Japanese samurai

C2 Taser
Protect yourself and loved ones from CRIME with the latest C2 Taser citizen model. Very effective.

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga