FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 41 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
TomRosenberg, jessylin, play, Keith_G, LeroyCFischer
22937 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
jwwmantis 2
Zombie Zero 1
harlan 1
Beefcake 1
LeroyCFischer 1
December
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31
New Topics
2015 Master Yang Jwing-Ming Seminar
by jwwmantis
12/05/14 10:36 PM
unrecognized kata
by William_Bent
11/19/14 07:05 PM
I gained a lot of month in the last few months
by simonajones111
11/19/14 04:54 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
The Beginners Guide To Stretching
by
12/27/06 11:43 AM
Your true goal
by
03/03/06 07:16 AM
Recent Posts
Your true goal
by Beefcake
12/11/14 02:44 AM
The Beginners Guide To Stretching
by LeroyCFischer
12/04/14 02:07 AM
unrecognized kata
by William_Bent
11/19/14 07:05 PM
I gained a lot of month in the last few months
by simonajones111
11/19/14 04:54 AM
Forum Stats
22937 Members
36 Forums
35590 Topics
432525 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#139821 - 05/07/05 01:32 PM Learning
yorik17 Offline

Hi. I'd like to learn martial arts REAL bad, but I can't afford them. Four of my friends take them now, and I was the one who got most of them interested, so you can guess I feel a bit of jealousy. At the moment, I'm trying to teach myself Shaolin Kung-Fu, which 3 of my friends take. My BEST friend in particular (who I've been friends with for 8 years) has a bad habit of trying to show off in front of me and making me look like a pathetic "unskilled" fool when we spar in front of passers by. I sometimes try to do what he does when he does his forms or basic attacks and whatnot, and when I do he tells me I'm making it "look like sh*t" (pardon the language) right to my face and doesn't even try to correct me. I'd like to learn just the basics, cause maybe one day I'll take class. That and also at the moment I am trying to learn katana techniques and rope dart, but I can't find any rope dart ANYWHERE. Maybe someone could help. I learn well by word, since that's the only thing I can do. THANKS IN ADVANCE

#139822 - 05/07/05 03:25 PM Re: Learning [Re: yorik17]
still wadowoman Offline
Improved beefier techno-prat

Loc: Residence:UK- Heart:Md, USA
Hi Yorik

You really can't learn MA without a teacher (and when I say teacher, your mate who's had a few lessons doesn't count).

How old are you? Are you old enough for an after school or weekend job? If so, you would be much better off working to pay for some proper lessons.
Sharon

#139823 - 05/07/05 07:32 PM Re: Learning [Re: still wadowoman]
yorik17 Offline

I'm 17. 18 this month. I'm old enough to get a job, but see, my dad has a self owned buisness (with no employees cept the family) He makes fishing lures, so there isn't a lot of income, and I have to help him out. I don't make any money doing it, but when he gets enough money to buy what HE wants he doesn't hesitate to get it!

#139824 - 05/08/05 03:22 AM Re: Learning [Re: yorik17]
Kintama Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Massachusetts
Sounds like you should work on 'killing' some 'bills' before you can train at Temple 'Pay Mei'.

#139825 - 05/08/05 03:28 AM Re: Learning [Re: yorik17]
SANCHIN31 Offline
Former Moderator

Loc: Arkansas, U.S.
Tell your buddies that showing off is a fools idea of glory. Do what Sharon suggests!! Good luck!!

#139826 - 05/08/05 01:30 PM Re: Learning [Re: yorik17]
Leo_E_49 Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: California
Search the yellow pages and google.com for schools in your area, often local community centres (community halls?) will have cheap or free lessons taught by hobby-ist Sensei. These guys are often good because they aren't doing it for the money. My advice is don't be picky, if you can't get Shaolin KungFu for example but they have Shotokan Karate on the cheap somewhere, take it up. Most arts are about as effective as one another, there's no best art.

Edited by Leo_E_49 (05/08/05 01:32 PM)

#139827 - 05/08/05 07:18 PM Re: Learning [Re: Leo_E_49]
yorik17 Offline

Thanks all. I'll give it a whack... Never thought of looking for schools that are cheap, but I doubt I'll find one, since I live in the boonies in WV, but still I'll try.

#139828 - 05/15/05 10:15 PM Re: Learning [Re: Leo_E_49]
rockleewannabe Offline

Loc: Canada
when your friend tries to show off, just revert to regular street fighting and put him into a lock whenever he punches, and just hold his foot and make him fall backwards whenever he kicks, that'll teach him not to be flashy and ineffective

it's a bad friend that tries to sacrifice others' for themselves

#139829 - 05/15/05 10:32 PM Re: Learning [Re: rockleewannabe]
JoelM Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Georgia, USA
And what "street fighting" school did you go to, wannabe?
How is an untrained person suppose to put somebody else in a lock? Nevermind, don't ansewr that.

yorik, follow the other sane peoples' advice and find an instructor, that is the only way you will obtain any decent skills.
As for your friend, he's not much of a friend if he likes to make you "look like a pathetic 'unskilled' fool" when you spar. Get new friends.

#139830 - 05/15/05 10:56 PM Re: Learning [Re: JoelM]
rockleewannabe Offline

I find it odd that you would have a disdain for the fighting that's motto is "whatever works", in terms of it's effectiveness...

I got out of them all the time, I haven't practiced getting out of them, I just make a snap realization of the kind of lock I'm in and think within a split second on how to get out, if my arm gets broken then I've failed, due to my own stupidity

street fighting requires no school, it's a form of fighting that's created from one's experiences within fighting

favourite time someone who Joe would think would've won lost was when the black belt went into a fighting stance, and the orange belt looked horrible in form, just went up, kicked him between the legs, black belt went down like a rock

stance and form means nothing much of the time, hence the term martial "art"

Joe you're far too cynical, a bad friend can learn to be a good friend

anyways, the best advice I can give is not to use the martial art he's proficient in when sparring, use whatever works, create your own technique's that counter his

martial arts helped my ability to fight greatly, but when I used it to fight someone with no skill in fighting in reality, well, I got dropped

so I resumed my personal fighting style which I learned from a measly book of wing chun, a year of taekwon do, and watching fights and being in them

I always cut the BS and get to the point in fights that matter

when sparring don't copy his moves, he just wants to feel special, which is also why he's showing off, just counter his, and if he wants to keep looking good he'll stop sparring you, or develop counter technique's of his own, and you develop counter technique's of your own and so forth

you'll be learning new ways of sparring constantly and for effectiveness mix and match your technique's so you keep him second guessing, old and new ones

TKD taught me how to control my legs, which has helped me a lot, but when it comes to real fighting, I don't follow a TKD stance or form, even the combinations and stuff are too rigid for reality, so I break them up and use them in conjunction with whatever other technique's I've learned to create the most effective set of movements for that time period that I have to attack or defend

basically I do martial arts, but I use a reality based form of fighting that has been proven to work from personal experience for dangerous situations, which CAN include parts of a martial art

#139831 - 05/15/05 11:00 PM Re: Learning [Re: rockleewannabe]
rockleewannabe Offline

but if being active and learning new martial arts is your thing, which I wish I could do now too, then I'd just follow other people's advice

I'm only covering the fighting aspect of MA and street fighting

#139832 - 05/15/05 11:40 PM Re: Learning [Re: rockleewannabe]
JoelM Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Georgia, USA
Quote:

I find it odd that you would have a disdain for the fighting that's motto is "whatever works", in terms of it's effectiveness...

Is that your definition of "street fighting's" motto? I never said I have disdain for "whatever works." I have disdain for people who think that unskilled, untrained fighting is the way to go and what to recommend to others who have no idea what they are doing.

Quote:

I got out of them all the time, I haven't practiced getting out of them, I just make a snap realization of the kind of lock I'm in and think within a split second on how to get out,

But you told him to use joint locks, not to get out of them. Getting out of them can be intuitive, but with no training, applying joint locks effectively is just going to get you taken apart because you're spending too much time trying to figure out where to twist what. Get your arguements straight.

Quote:

favourite time someone who Joe would think would've won lost was when the black belt went into a fighting stance, and the orange belt looked horrible in form, just went up, kicked him between the legs, black belt went down like a rock
stance and form means nothing much of the time, hence the term martial "art"

Big assumption there on who I would have thought would win. But that being said, would you have picked an orange belt over a black belt without knowing anything about either of them? Doubtful.
Stances should not be static, continuous use mechanisms, that is not what they are for. Form means everything, if you do not have proper form you can hurt yourself more than you hurt the other person. Granted, there are certain instances where form means a lot less (rising groin kick, etc.), but it still matters.

Quote:

Joe you're far too cynical, a bad friend can learn to be a good friend

Yes, a bad friend can turn good. But if they don't, get new friends.

By the way, the name's Joel, not Joe.

#139833 - 05/16/05 01:40 AM Re: Learning [Re: rockleewannabe]
SANCHIN31 Offline
Former Moderator

Quote:

when your friend tries to show off, just revert to regular street fighting and put him into a lock whenever he punches, and just hold his foot and make him fall backwards whenever he kicks, that'll teach him not to be flashy and ineffective

it's a bad friend that tries to sacrifice others' for themselves

*SANCHIN31 beats his head repeatedly on the desk,again!*

#139834 - 05/16/05 11:00 AM Re: Learning [Re: SANCHIN31]
MN JC Offline

Loc: Coon Rapids, MN USA
I find it amazing how the names change but the arguements remain the same.

Those with little, bad, or no training often are so confused that they spew out bad advice and belive that they know what they are talking about.

Please find a good instructor in your area, and listen to him/her.

#139835 - 05/16/05 02:50 PM Re: Learning [Re: rockleewannabe]
MattJ Offline
Free Rhinoplasty!
Prolific

Loc: York PA. USA
Quote by rockleewannabe -

Quote:

Yes, just revert to being a streetfighter! Brilliant!! Why have I wasted 20 years doing MA, when all I needed to do was let out my inner streetfighter! For certainly NO martial arts will survive T3h D34dly Str33t!!!!

*rolls eyes*

#139836 - 05/18/05 04:12 PM Re: Learning [Re: rockleewannabe]
Gino Offline

Loc: New York State
Excuse me, rocklee, I mean no disrespect, but I'm curious. Weren't you complaining about your sedentary lifestyle not too long ago? You admitted to wasting your time playing video games and over-eating. You asked for guidance from the forum to get into shape so you could train in the martial arts. Why not tell us how that's going, before you attempt to enlighten us about street fighting?

#139837 - 05/18/05 04:38 PM Re: Learning [Re: Gino]
MN JC Offline

Loc: Coon Rapids, MN USA
Quote:

Excuse me, rocklee, I mean no disrespect, but I'm curious. Weren't you complaining about your sedentary lifestyle not too long ago? You admitted to wasting your time playing video games and over-eating. You asked for guidance from the forum to get into shape so you could train in the martial arts. Why not tell us how that's going, before you attempt to enlighten us about street fighting?

That is correct. Good memory Gino. Nice that someone has one, I keep forgetting where I left mine.

So Rocklee, how is it going? Did you give up on getting in shape and decided to become a street fighter?

#139838 - 05/19/05 02:20 AM Re: Learning [Re: MN JC]
SANCHIN31 Offline
Former Moderator

I suspect all these "streetfighters rule" posts to be from non-ma's or wannabe's. Good eye Gino.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Cord, MattJ, Reiki, tkd_high_green 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Fight Videos
Night club fight footage and street fights captured with the world's first bouncer spy cam

How to Matrix!
Learn ten times faster with new training method. Learn entire arts for as little as $10 per disk.

Self Defense
Stun guns, pepper spray, Mace and self defense products. Alarms for personal and home use.

TASER MC26C
Stop An Urban Gorilla: Get 2 FREE TASER M26C Replacement Air Cartridges With Each New TASER M26C!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga