FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 43 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
LeroyCFischer, JadeKing, Beefcake, WesJones, simonajones111
22933 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
futsaowingchun 2
charlie 2
Matakiant 1
William_Bent 1
simonajones111 1
November
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
New Topics
unrecognized kata
by William_Bent
11/19/14 07:05 PM
I gained a lot of month in the last few months
by simonajones111
11/19/14 04:54 AM
Siu Lin Tao-3rd section applications
by futsaowingchun
11/13/14 06:48 PM
Screen fighting course UK December 2014
by charlie
11/11/14 04:09 PM
Siu Lin Tao-1st section Pak Sao explanations
by futsaowingchun
11/09/14 10:30 PM
I spy kata bunkai..
by GojuRyuboy13
10/29/14 08:28 AM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
MA style video library
by
03/22/06 03:18 PM
Recent Posts
unrecognized kata
by William_Bent
11/19/14 07:05 PM
I gained a lot of month in the last few months
by simonajones111
11/19/14 04:54 AM
Siu Lin Tao-3rd section applications
by futsaowingchun
11/13/14 06:48 PM
Screen fighting course UK December 2014
by charlie
11/11/14 04:09 PM
MA style video library
by charlie
11/11/14 04:05 PM
Siu Lin Tao-1st section Pak Sao explanations
by futsaowingchun
11/09/14 10:30 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/29/14 10:01 PM
I spy kata bunkai..
by GojuRyuboy13
10/29/14 08:28 AM
Forum Stats
22933 Members
36 Forums
35589 Topics
432521 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#138793 - 08/01/05 03:38 PM A One Minute Meditation [Re: KiDoHae]
harlan Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Amherst, MA
ON THOUGHT

"Why are you so wary of thought?" said the philosopher.
"Thought is the one tool we have for organizing the world."

"True. But thought can organize the world so well
that you are no longer able to see it."

To his disciples he later said,
"A thought is a screen, not a mirror;
that is why you live in a thought envelope,
untouched by Reality."

-Anthony deMello, Fr., from One Minute Wisdom

#138794 - 08/15/05 01:22 PM Gompa: practice [Re: harlan]
harlan Offline
Professional Poster

The great Dzogchen master Yungton Dorje Pal was asked:
'What meditation do you do?' And he replied: 'What would I meditate on?'
So his questioner concluded: 'In Dzogchen you don't meditate, then?'
But Yunton Dorje Pal replied: 'When am I ever distracted [from contemplation].'

The distinction between what is meant by the terms 'meditation' and 'contemplation' is an essential one in Dzogchen. The practice of Dzogchen is, properly speaking, the practice of contemplation, which consists in abiding in the non-dual state which, of its own nature, uninterruptedly self-liberates. This state, which is not conditioned by the conceptual level of mental activity, also encompasses thought and the functioning of what we generally consider to be our ordinary minds. Thought can, and indeed does, arise in contemplation - but, in contemplation, one is not conditioned by it; since the primordial state is inherently self-liberating, by simply leaving thought alone, it liberates itself.

In contemplation, therefore, as the term is used in Dzogchen, the mind makes no effort whatsoever: there is nothing to do, or to abstain from doing. Since 'what is' is perfect just as it is, it is left in its own condition.

What is meant by meditation in the Dzogchen teachings, on the other hand, is one or other of the very many practices that involve working with the dualistic, relative mind, in order to enable one to enter the state of contemplation.

-Chogyal Namkhai Norbu

Edited by harlan (08/15/05 01:30 PM)

#138795 - 08/25/05 02:15 PM Zazen without Sitting [Re: harlan]
harlan Offline
Professional Poster

In Kendo, there is a kind of disease called 'itsuku' (to be attached). It means attachment to the specific postures of attacking and defending which prevent us from moving about spontaneously. In Zen, too, there is a disease called attachment to meditation. Another name of this disease is infatuation with Zen. When we are afflicted with this disease, we lose our vitality by sitting comfortably and half-unconsciously in meditation.
...In regard to this matter Master Shido Bunan composed the following poem on the significance of Zazen.

If we know how to practice Zazen without actually sitting,
What obstacles should there be,
Blocking the Way to Buddhahood?

I understand that 'Zazen without Sitting" means Zen discipline performed in terms of our everyday activities.

-Omori Sogen, An Introduction to Zen Training

#138796 - 09/06/05 03:42 PM On Doing Nothing [Re: harlan]
harlan Offline
Professional Poster

As an adjunct to another thread (Doing Nothing):

When remaining without doing anything whatsoever, there is total letting go. In the same moment there is also a sense of being wide awake; there is an awake quality that is unproduced.

Simultaneous with the disappearance of thought, there is an awake quality that is like a radiant flame of a candle, which exists all by itself. That awake quality doesn't need to be supported through meditation, because it is not something that is cultivated. Since it's recognition only lasts for a short while, it is necessary to remind yourself again. But honestly, how far away is it to get to that moment? When you put your finger out in the air to touch space, how far do you need to move your hand forward before you connect with space? In the same way, the moment you recognize mind essence, it is seen the very moment you look. It is not that at some later point you will see it; or that you have to coninuously look, look, look for it. There are not two different things going on here.

The recogition of emptiness is accomplished the moment you look. "Seeing no 'thing' is the supreme sight." When seeing emptiness, you don't need to do anything whatsoever to it. The key word here is uncontrived, which means you don't have to alter it in any way; just leave it as it naturally is. At that moment, you are totally out of a job; there is nothing you need to do to it. In other words, no act of meditating is necessary at this point. That is what I meant by "don't meditate". Because at that moment whatever you do to try to keep, or prolong the natural state only envelops it in more activity and complexity.

-Tulku Urgyen Rinpoche, As It Is

Edited by harlan (09/06/05 04:17 PM)

#138797 - 10/12/05 10:49 PM Integration [Re: harlan]
harlan Offline
Professional Poster

From: The Tibetian Book of Living and Dying, Sogyal Rinpoche

Integration: Meditation in Action

I have found that modern spiritual practitioners lack the knowledge of how to integrate their meditation practice with everyday life. I cannot say it strongly enough: to integrate meditation in action is the whole ground and point and purpose of meditation. The violence and stress, the challenges and distractions of modern life make this integration even more urgently necessary.

People complain to me, "I have meditated for twelve years, but somehow I haven't changed. I am still the same. Why?" Because there is an abyss between their spiritual practice and their everyday life. They seem to exist in two seperate worlds, which do not inspire each other at all. I am reminded of a teacher I knew when I was at school in Tibet. He was brilliant at expounding the rules of Tibetan grammar, but he could hardly write on correct sentence!

How, then, do we achieve this integration, this permeation of everyday life with the calm humor and spacious detachment of meditation? There is no substitute for regular practice, for only through real practice will we begin to taste unbrokenly the calm of our nature of mind and so be able to sustain the experience of it in our everyday life...

...All too often people come to meditation in the hope of extraordinary results, like visions, lights, or some supernatural miracle. When no such thing occurs, they feel extremely disappointed. But the real miracle of meditation is more ordinary and much more useful. It is a subtle transformation, and this transformation happens not only in your mind and your emotions, but also actually in your body. It is very healing. ...The whole state of your health has a lot to do with your state of mind and your way of being.

#138798 - 10/25/05 12:02 PM Zen Gardens along The Way [Re: harlan]
harlan Offline
Professional Poster

"Ponder the fact Hsiang-yen realized the Way by the sound of bamboo; that another clarified the mind at the sight of peach blossoms. How could it be possible to differentiate smart bamboo trees from dull ones, or deluded ones from enlightened ones? How could there be shallow or deep, wise or stupid, among flowers? The flowers bloom every year, nevertheless, not everyone attains Enlightenment by viewing them. Stones often strike bamboo, still not everyone who hears the sound clarifies the Way. Only through the virtue of long study and continuous practice with the assistance of diligent effort in the Way does one realize the Way or clarify the mind. This did not occur because the sound of bamboo was especially wonderful, nor because the color of peach blossoms was particularly profound. Although the sound of bamboo is marvelous, it does not sound of itself; it cries out with the help of a piece of tile. Although the color of peach blossoms is beautiful of themselves; they open with the help of the spring breeze. The condition of practicing the Way is also like this."

-Dogen, as written by Koun Ejo

#138799 - 10/28/05 03:23 PM Dream or Illusion? [Re: harlan]
harlan Offline
Professional Poster

Was it Dogen, whose last written word was 'Dream'? Something I'll be thinking about this weekend, spurred by JoelM's dream and Kintama's questioning of perception and reality.

Late Lament
-The Moody Blues

Breathe deep the gathering gloom,
Watch lights fade from every room.
Bedsitter people look back and lament
Another day's useless energy is spent.
Impassioned lovers wrestle as one;
Lonely man cries for love and has none;
New mother picks up and suckles her son;
Senior citizens wish they were young.

Cold-hearted orb that rules the night
Removes the colours from our sight,
Red is grey and yellow white
But we decide which is right
And which is an illusion.

and by Dogen:

"…Thus, while encountering this discourse on dreams in dreams, those who try to eschew the Buddha-way think that some nonexistent phantasms are unreasonably believed to exist and that illusions are piled up on top of illusions. This is not true. Even though delusions are multiplied in the midst of delusions, you should certainly ponder the path of absolute freedom in which absolute freedom is apprehended as the very consummation of delusions."

Edited by harlan (10/28/05 03:25 PM)

#138800 - 10/28/05 09:57 PM Re: Dream or Illusion? [Re: harlan]
MattJ Offline
Free Rhinoplasty!
Prolific

Loc: York PA. USA
Wow. Excellent thread. I have to read more.

#138801 - 10/30/05 10:40 PM Re: Dream or Illusion? [Re: MattJ]
harlan Offline
Professional Poster

Thanks for the feedback. Nice to know someone is reading this thread...but don't believe everything you read. I'm surprised that even the 'pickle man' didn't catch me on this...but it was Takuan Soho, not Dogen, whose last word was 'dream'.

(Back to "The Unfettered Mind".)

#138802 - 10/30/05 11:17 PM Re: Dream or Illusion? [Re: harlan]
oldman Offline
Professional Poster

Quote:

but it was Takuan Soho, not Dogen,

Six of one, half dogen of another.

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Cord, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Self Defense
Offering stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and other self defense products not available in stores.

Pepper Spray
Online distributor of self defense supplies like videos, stun guns, Tasers and more.

Spy Cameras
Surveillance, Hidden Cameras, Nanny Cams, Digital Recorders, Spy Equipment, Pocket DVR's and more

Stun Gun
Wholesale Directlhy to the Public! Stun gun and Taser Guns and personal protection products. Keep your loved ones at home safe!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga