FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 48 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Shanktotheright, royal, bobgalle100011, agenonline, TooNice
22862 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
THEFOREVERMAN 3
MattJ 2
royal 2
Dobbersky 2
cxt 1
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30
New Topics
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by Marcus Charles
03/24/14 04:39 PM
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by Dobbersky
03/20/14 05:45 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
AKK kata question
by
09/04/05 01:27 PM
Recent Posts
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by THEFOREVERMAN
04/16/14 08:22 AM
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by THEFOREVERMAN
04/16/14 08:20 AM
AKK kata question
by MattJ
04/04/14 05:45 PM
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Forum Stats
22862 Members
36 Forums
35546 Topics
432378 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#138137 - 05/11/05 06:42 AM Re: Confused about JKD??? [Re: Bodiharma]
Ace Offline

Loc: Melbourne, Australia
No, its sensitivity, because its all very fast and you must notice the smallest changes to be able to block in time. It is used in Kali i believe, and would be classed as a sensitivity drill by most instructors. It isnt rea;lly like what it sounds like, but thats probably the only way to explain it without showing you.

#138138 - 05/11/05 07:26 AM Re: Confused about JKD??? [Re: Ace]
Bodiharma Offline

i think i know what you mean now, theres a drill like that called bong sau/lop sau drill, its more of a timing / co-ordination drill, yet it does train sensitivity as well

very useful!

#138139 - 05/11/05 04:49 PM Re: Confused about JKD??? [Re: Bodiharma]
etaks86 Offline

in my own opinion. i do not think that it's simply bruce lee's interpretation of wing chun kuen i believe it's bruce lee's interpretation of him self and his own way of fighting that other people could learn from and maybe have a better understanding of how to fight or just a guide to improve your way of fighting. also he was just helping people to understand how to be like the nature of water in a fight or life. you know to adapt and be instinctive in nature, the way you are until styles and programing and reprograming disrupt the natural process of your mind and body as a whole , eventrully slowing your reaction time down and limiting your mind or better yet constructing restriction a box and chains to bind your self in and, refrain you from being your true self in a fight. anyway if anyone does not believe this way like me then don't be offended i'm just speaking my opinon on the matter. also since i am natural and move where ever god and my instincts take me then i guess the mind is always in a mode of a adaptive state when it comes to someone's opinon's, what is my opinon today could become your's tomorrow or a month from now or years from now and what i now think will eventrully change at least to some degree because people's opinon's and thought's are like the wind, today they blow against you but tomorrow they may be your friend. when i say this i just mean that the way people think is always changing with every fact and or event that happens in life may change your current train of thought.

#138140 - 05/11/05 05:01 PM Re: Confused about JKD??? [Re: Bodiharma]
etaks86 Offline

yes i agree with you the sensitivity trainging that is used in jkd it seems more like drills but it really trains you both in the drills and your sensitivity.

#138141 - 05/14/05 04:39 AM Re: Confused about JKD??? [Re: Bodiharma]
Chen Zen Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Ms
What Bruce's JKD was shouldnt dictate what yours becomes. Bruce, at his best, was using Wing Chun and western boxing combined with a small working knowledge of Muay Thai and TKD. Consider that now most JKD guy use the boxing and Muay Thai and skip the other two. Bruces footwork, such as seen on film, was really just a mockery of Ali. He was largely biased to Wing Chun due to his longtime involvement in it meanwhile preaching the whole time to others to let go of biased thought processes. He was also biased to flashy tkd style kicking due to his involvement with Joon Rhee. When he passed, he left JKD a very incomplete system. Most likely on purpose. This way the student would, in theory, be free from tradition and find his own path, and now his path has nearly become tradition.

#138142 - 05/14/05 02:50 PM Re: Confused about JKD??? [Re: Chen Zen]
Fluid_Motion Offline

huh? JKD - WC, B, Fencing primarily. incomplete? NO

#138143 - 05/14/05 10:36 PM Re: Confused about JKD??? [Re: Fluid_Motion]
Chen Zen Offline
Professional Poster

Incomplete if thats all you are doing, yes. Most of WC has been dropped from the curriculum as well as alot of the fencing ideas. WC,Boxing, Fencing- wheres the ground game at? You need more than that. Thats the reason JKD was left as it was. Bruce was done writing about JKD before he passed. He didnt want to leave a definate path for people to follow so that eventually they would create their own. His books and commentarie werent about the path but the destination

#138144 - 05/15/05 06:11 AM Re: Confused about JKD??? [Re: Chen Zen]
etaks86 Offline

yes i think one of lee's idea's in my opinon is that he wanted people's jkd to be their own and not like his. i think that he didn't want people doing his art the same as him because jkd it's self i think has alot to do with being yourself and not just copying someones moves. because if you just copy what lee did then your going against what jkd stands for which i think is nature ( the state of being natural or in jkd the state of being yourself ), adaptive ( to change in order to improve your state and or to survive), instinct ( to punch,block,kick,evade or act without thought- or to attack, defend, or evade in reaction to anothers action without thought being processed ). i know these are not the way alot of people would define these words but i think that maybe this is close to how these words should be applied in jkd. anyway since noone is the same then the way you fight should fit your needs and who you are. the truth is, is that people can not be other people they can only be who they are. so if you try to be someone else or try to get their moves just right, it will not work good for you because it's not you. it's unnatural to try to copy something that just is not you and since it's not part of who you are it will never work well for you. anyway the main idea behide jkd is to be yourself, take what you already know about fighting and add, when you need more and when you need less subtract, to keep improving yourself and your way of fighting to add what works for you and to substract what does not work for you. somewhere in all of this adding and substracting you will grow more into yourself as a martial artist. so that's all from me for the moment so peace and i hope everyone has a good day.

#138145 - 05/15/05 12:49 PM Re: Confused about JKD??? [Re: etaks86]
Chen Zen Offline
Professional Poster

Not bad at all.

Too many people worry about what Bruce did or didnt do. Are you Bruce? Do you train nearly as fervently as Bruce did? Are you in the same physical shape as Bruce and just as fast as him too?

Do you own thing. It'll prove to be much more effective.

#138146 - 05/15/05 08:39 PM Re: Confused about JKD??? [Re: Chen Zen]
etaks86 Offline

thanks it feels good to find people that share some of the same opinons i have on jkd and other subjects. so peace to all.

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Cord, JKogas, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Fight Videos
Night club fight footage and street fights captured with the world's first bouncer spy cam

How to Matrix!
Learn ten times faster with new training method. Learn entire arts for as little as $10 per disk.

Self Defense
Stun guns, pepper spray, Mace and self defense products. Alarms for personal and home use.

TASER MC26C
Stop An Urban Gorilla: Get 2 FREE TASER M26C Replacement Air Cartridges With Each New TASER M26C!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga