FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 62 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Aron, DC1, Dramamu, kocifas, enijis
23225 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Dereck 1
Ronin1966 1
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
New Topics
Is this thread dead?
by Ritz
01/09/18 12:13 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
Recent Posts
Forum Stats
23225 Members
36 Forums
35698 Topics
432760 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Topic Options
#137675 - 04/19/05 03:30 PM History of the Kubotan
Anonymous
Unregistered

I'm presently studying for my next promotion and I have to give a presentation on my personal weapon (we are given instruction on a variety of weapons but when we reach a certain level we have to choose a personal weapon to "specialize" in.)

I have chosen the kubotan (since I have one on my keychain all the time). Anyway, I have to independently research the history of the weapon, learn and demonstrate the basic techniques of using the weapon, and learn and demonstrate a kata for the weapon. On another forum page someone had sent me a link to some katas - which turned out to be exceptionally helpful.

I know that Takayuki Kubota invented the Kubotan but that's about where my research has led me. I have a DVD and a book but they mostly deal with the uses...not the history.

Is there anyone out there who knows anything about the history of the kubotan or where I might turn to find out? My test is in approximately 8 weeks.

Thanks!

#137676 - 04/20/05 08:47 PM Re: History of the Kubotan
Anonymous
Unregistered

You could have a look at www.yawara.com

The idea of a short stick, or hand load is common in many martial arts. Many classical jujutsu ryu have a similar weapon. Don Cunningham wrote a book called "Secret weapons of jujutsu" (published by Tuttle) that has a lot of stuff in it.

There is also an okinawan weapon called a techu which is similar, and there are similar filipino weapons (olisi palad, dulo-dulo, badjak). I seem to remember something about a small stick used to break bones in Hatsumi's book on stick fighting, so that's the ninjutsu/bujinkan view on it. No doubt there are chinese analogs as well.

There's plenty of history there, just have a look.

As for kata, I doubt there are too many formal ones based on that weapon (although I have seen one with 2 techu), but most empty-hand forms could be modified to incorporate it.

Moderator:  Cord, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Stun Guns
Variety of stun gun devices for your protection

Buy Pepper Spray
Worry about your family when you’re not around? Visit us today to protect everything you value.

Koryu.com
Accurate information on the ancient martial traditions of the Japanese samurai

C2 Taser
Protect yourself and loved ones from CRIME with the latest C2 Taser citizen model. Very effective.

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga