FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 49 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
333kenshin, BradleyCameron, markwn, John057, TigerandDragon
23240 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
TigerandDragon 1
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30 31
New Topics
Recent Posts
Forum Stats
23240 Members
36 Forums
35700 Topics
432769 Posts

Max Online: 488 @ 01/23/20 01:55 PM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#137592 - 04/03/05 04:31 AM wheelchair as a weapon
Anonymous
Unregistered

The wheelchair is great weapon(lol) but I was watching a weapons competition today I was wondering do u think it'll ever be legalized for use in competition and do think and actually taught in schools like the weapon that it is?

#137593 - 04/03/05 01:49 PM Re: wheelchair as a weapon
Anonymous
Unregistered

Suuuuuuure... Right after the portable bazooka and phaser blades (lolz). I think a wheelchair is a very blunt weapon (even for a blunt weapon) and it can only be used for bashing and throwing. I'd prefer a big rock over a wheelchair :P

#137594 - 04/03/05 03:29 PM Re: wheelchair as a weapon
Anonymous
Unregistered

I would hate to be attacked with a wheelchair. Too many pointy parts. As for use in competition and taught in schools, I'm having a hard time picturing it.

#137595 - 04/03/05 05:59 PM Re: wheelchair as a weapon
Anonymous
Unregistered

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Neonisis:
Suuuuuuure... Right after the portable bazooka and phaser blades (lolz). I think a wheelchair is a very blunt weapon (even for a blunt weapon) and it can only be used for bashing and throwing. I'd prefer a big rock over a wheelchair :P[/QUOTE]
For your information Neonisis the wheelchair has detachable parts such as foot and arm rests which can used as weapons all by themselves to apply locks and strengthen strikes. Some chairs like mine have armrests w/ rods so long that they can be used like a bo or any other stick-like weapon. I find your comment very disrespectful I can't believe you have the nerve to call yourself a martial artist.

#137596 - 04/03/05 06:26 PM Re: wheelchair as a weapon
Reiki Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: MiddleEarth
Neonisis please behave yourself and don't ridicule what you don't understand.

Show respect for the other contributors on this forum or you will be removed.

Some wheelchairs would make excellent weapons.

#137597 - 04/03/05 09:03 PM Re: wheelchair as a weapon
Anonymous
Unregistered

heeeellllloooo all !!

this may be a little off topic but....

these topics got me to thinking about weapons for wheelchairs and I think I could come up with some nifty stuff.

While I dont have a whellchair to examine I am pretty surethe have some hollow tube like components

Those could be modified to carry a foot or so stick and depending on the amount of room the wheelchair could have a full bo staff hidden in plain site

While the snap-lock bo staffs are not that strong compared to the screw together ones I think the speed of just snapping together your weapon staff to whatever length you want would make up for the little (if any) strength lost in the snap-lock bo

then again maybe this is just a rant from an obbsessed weapon maker [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif[/IMG] [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif[/IMG]

Regards HUCK

#137598 - 04/04/05 03:36 AM Re: wheelchair as a weapon
Anonymous
Unregistered

hi all,

while i wouldnt unconditionally jump to neonisis's defence (after all he/she did make a comment without looking into the previous posts and make some stupid comments)

i will put forward the point that rainbow tiger phrased his question in a confusing way.

rainbow, did you mean weapon competitions for people in wheel chairs?

its possible, but would require an association of wheelchair using martial artists to challenge one another.

if you meant are there any teachers who can help you with using your arm rests in a defensive/offensive manner - maybe there is someone, i hope there is.

if you are wondering about being able to detatch rods and join them into a weapon to use for a self defence implement - well being honest i dont like your odds of being able to deploy these devices in the circumstance of an attack.

if someone was intending to mug or assault you they most likely wouldnt give you the time and space to assemble a bo staff out of your poles. - its unfortunate - but thats reality.

as for saying someone is disrespectful therefore not a martial artist, that shows quite a bit of ignorance from the real world too.

rainbowtiger, you were the first one to joke about it being a weapon
"The wheelchair is great weapon(lol)"

neonisis may have thought it was a joke - who knows?

#137599 - 04/05/05 01:22 PM Re: wheelchair as a weapon
Anonymous
Unregistered

Wow.. I'm so sorry.. I honestly thought you were joking about it! But, since you aren't:

I'm a bit confused about what you are trying to say, do you mean abled people using a wheelchair in combat or disabled people in wheelchairs who want to fight using their own chairs?

If it's abled people using it as a weapon, I still think it's way to blunt for a weapon. It would just be a show of two people swinging the chairs at eachother. As for the bo-like arm pieces; I got hit by one of those poles you get around with when you break a leg or something, made of the same metal as wheelchairs are, but the thing just bent when I blocked the blow (and trust me, it wasn't a soft blow), so I don't think that'll do a lot of good. I think it would be fun to look at a wheelchair battle, but I don't think it will become very popular with the martial artists.

If you mean disabled people batteling with their chairs.. well I think you're better off using an existing weapon like a bo, yon or yonbo. Taking your chair apart would take some time an wel.. a battle would seriously wreck your wheels!

And then there's how you're gonna arrange the battles, cuz I don't see disabled people fighting abled people (not meant to disgrace anyone..), because they wouldn't stand a chance against jump-attacks and a series of high-side switching attacks. So you would have to organize whole tournaments for disabled people, which will be a hassle (believe me, had to arrange a volleyball tournament for the disabled in my city. I had wahahaaay to few people helping me out and I had to recover for a week, but I can say it was worth it!)

But hey, try it! Perhaps you found a whole new branch of weaponry! ^^ I'm sorry if I offended some people on this forum, I didn't mean to.. seriously. Oh, and thanks to Meanstreak fo sticking up for me!

And last and least: I am NOT a martial artist nor did I ever say I was/am/will be. The only experience I have with fighting, are brawls on the streets.

#137600 - 04/05/05 04:10 PM Re: wheelchair as a weapon
Anonymous
Unregistered

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Meanstreak:
hi all,

if someone was intending to mug or assault you they most likely wouldnt give you the time and space to assemble a bo staff out of your poles. - its unfortunate - but thats reality.

Thats why I suggested a snaplock staff

#137601 - 04/05/05 04:37 PM Re: wheelchair as a weapon
Anonymous
Unregistered

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Rainbowtiger:
The wheelchair is great weapon(lol) but I was watching a weapons competition today I was wondering do u think it'll ever be legalized for use in competition and do think and actually taught in schools like the weapon that it is?[/QUOTE]

Hi Rainbowtiger, I too think a wheelchair makes a great weapon but I can't see a competition with them. (Would like to though!)
Did you see the IDSA website that teaches combat hapkido to people in wheelchairs? Looks interesting.
I am also in a chair and have a question for you..
How would you prevent yourself from being tipped sideways?
Cheers!

#137602 - 04/05/05 07:47 PM Re: wheelchair as a weapon
Anonymous
Unregistered

samurai,

ill admit i havent seen a snaplock staff
the points i made about time and space restrictions are going to be equally valid no matter what system you use to connect them

for a mugging or assault no one would give someone enough time to acces the poles, or space to assemble them, as soon as an attacker saw someone on a wheel chair begin to furiously join together a few poles they would be on top of him/her.

try something like an arnis stick, no attatching parts and can draw it and use instantly.

id imagine that a wheel chair would restrict the maneuverbility of a staff too much anyway

#137603 - 04/06/05 12:17 AM Re: wheelchair as a weapon
Anonymous
Unregistered

meanstreak

I completely understand what you are saying

I am not sure how long an arnis staff is but the idea I had was a choice of three or four baton-like sticks in different places you dont have to use all of them but you have a choice

on a simmilar subject a spear point on a two or three foot stick is a very fast and deadly
weapon

and the snap lock is asystem used for tent poles basicly you just insert the male end into the female and they snap together and lock.

the system would have to be a little more heavy duty for MA use but the old cabin-tent poles are prefect (nice and thick a little bigger and a lot stronger than broom-stick)they snap together in two and a half foot sections .

I also understand and agree with what you said about weilding a staff in a wheelchair

Rgards UB

#137604 - 04/06/05 02:15 AM Re: wheelchair as a weapon
Reiki Offline
Professional Poster

Arnis sticks are usually around 24 inches long, give or take a bit.

Wielded from a wheelchair they could do a fair amount of damage particularly if they were made of a lightweight but strong material like titanium.

I think a lot of the racing wheelchairs are made from titanium and carbon fibre these days so having an armrest or similar that just slips quickly out of the frame would make a useful weapon if needed.

Myki: Many chairs have angled wheels for sideways stability these days.

#137605 - 04/06/05 01:05 PM Re: wheelchair as a weapon
Anonymous
Unregistered

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Reiki:
Myki: Many chairs have angled wheels for sideways stability these days.[/QUOTE]

Reiki,
Thanks for that, I’ve seen those chairs, they’re pretty cool!
I was referring more to the ones with vertical wheels. I have a power wheelchair and was just wondering about attacks from the side, angles and turning and, if it comes to it, ground fighting.

As a side note to weapons, I carry a utility knife, one that you’d buy at a local hardware store, (cutting drywall etc). It is low profile, light and can be very efficient. It is about the same length as a kubaton, which I trained with in the military, and practice with as such for pressure points or joint locks. If the ‘bad guy’ wants to “kick it up a notch” (sorry Emeril!) it has the retractable blade. Last resort.
I also ensure my seat belt is done up so as not get dragged out of my seat.

I’ve learned, since being in a wheelchair, 2 major lessons:
1. Humility
2. The power of the mind. I’m not talking anything mystical here. I’m talking more the mind-body connection and the power a calm and ordered mind can swing. We’ve learned through MA about ki and meditation but never I took it too serious. The mind is truly the perfect weapon. I have learned about reading body language, telegraphed movements, using psychological manipulation/intimidation and the roles they all play in self defense. Perfection of these mean acting before the assailant even realizes an intention.

Anyway, that’s my 2 cents!

#137606 - 04/06/05 05:15 PM Re: wheelchair as a weapon
Reiki Offline
Professional Poster

myki: I see where you're coming from on this one. [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif[/IMG]

The power chairs have a much lower c of g and are a lot heavier than a manual chair but with the smaller wheels they are probably less resistant to tipping from the side.

What about anti-tipper wheels for the rear? Do they make a similar thing for the side tipping in a power chair?

I don't have any experience with the power chairs yet as my daughter is in a manual one until she's a bit bigger.

#137607 - 04/08/05 11:53 AM Re: wheelchair as a weapon
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks Reiki, unfortunately there are no anti tip wheels for the sides. I rely on my weight and the weight of the chair for that issue.
I guess it comes down to awareness of your surroundings and being able to identify a potential threat as the best defence.
Cheers!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Cord, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Fight Videos
Night club fight footage and street fights captured with the world's first bouncer spy cam

How to Matrix!
Learn ten times faster with new training method. Learn entire arts for as little as $10 per disk.

Self Defense
Stun guns, pepper spray, Mace and self defense products. Alarms for personal and home use.

TASER MC26C
Stop An Urban Gorilla: Get 2 FREE TASER M26C Replacement Air Cartridges With Each New TASER M26C!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga