FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 21 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
TomRosenberg, jessylin, play, Keith_G, LeroyCFischer
22937 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
jwwmantis 2
futsaowingchun 1
Zombie Zero 1
Beefcake 1
LeroyCFischer 1
December
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31
New Topics
Freeing Hand-Wing Chun's last movements
by futsaowingchun
12/17/14 09:40 PM
2015 Master Yang Jwing-Ming Seminar
by jwwmantis
12/05/14 10:36 PM
The Beginners Guide To Stretching
by
12/27/06 11:43 AM
Your true goal
by
03/03/06 07:16 AM
Recent Posts
Freeing Hand-Wing Chun's last movements
by futsaowingchun
12/17/14 09:40 PM
Your true goal
by Beefcake
12/11/14 02:44 AM
The Beginners Guide To Stretching
by LeroyCFischer
12/04/14 02:07 AM
Forum Stats
22937 Members
36 Forums
35591 Topics
432526 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Topic Options
#137519 - 03/25/05 01:31 PM practical and legal arnis/escrima
Anonymous
Unregistered

i've heard and read about the philipino ma's being well suited to the modern altercation, but my question pertain's to what do you use? is there a legal 'weapon' to be carried that applys to arnis? what about those telescopic baton's cop's cary? can civilian's cary those?

#137520 - 03/25/05 02:06 PM Re: practical and legal arnis/escrima
Reiki Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: MiddleEarth
You would need to check the laws of the country that you live in.

We can buy the ninja flick batons here and I own one, however I'm not sure how you'd go if you used it in self defense and badly hurt someone with it.

I think you'd be prosecuted.

There was a case here not so long ago where someone hurt a burglar who attacked him, then the burglar claimed for accident compensation and got it.

#137521 - 03/25/05 02:40 PM Re: practical and legal arnis/escrima
Anonymous
Unregistered

that's pretty rediculous. can laws be looked up on the internet?

p.s. i see you're kiwi, you a rugger?

#137522 - 03/25/05 10:30 PM Re: practical and legal arnis/escrima
Reiki Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: MiddleEarth
[QUOTE]Originally posted by kobra_kai:
that's pretty rediculous. can laws be looked up on the internet?

p.s. i see you're kiwi, you a rugger?
[/QUOTE]

Sorry, I dunno mate. I'd google it for your country & see what pops up.

[IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/wink.gif[/IMG] not all kiwis play rugby, especially us women, some of us prefer other sports - when we aren't doing MA that is. [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/biggrin.gif[/IMG]

My choices involve sharp pointy things, large sticks and a 4 legged 600kg partner. Not necessarily in that order or all at once. [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/biggrin.gif[/IMG]

#137523 - 03/27/05 02:35 AM Re: practical and legal arnis/escrima
Anonymous
Unregistered

Let's not forget, eskrima isn't just about olisi (stick). Knife techniques, while working excellently with blades (duh) can often be applied to something like a very sturdy pen. Which, last time I looked, was perfectly legal anywhere in the world.

Also improvised sticks, like umbrellas, broomsticks and other stuff is legal as well. I have a very strong (actually reinforced, but don't tell anyone) telescopics umbrella that I have carried from time to time.

In New Zealand the weapon carry laws are problematic. The Crimes act defines a weapon as anything manufactured, modified or possessed with the intent to use as a weapon. Can pretty much cover anything. At this to the fact that the crims don't care about the law, things are biased *against* ordinary folks carrying defensive weapons.

Oh, and not all kiwis are rugby fiends. Some of us don't need a ball as an excuse to get in a fight! [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif[/IMG]

#137524 - 03/27/05 03:48 AM Re: practical and legal arnis/escrima
Anonymous
Unregistered

hehe, touche`

#137525 - 04/14/05 12:02 AM Re: practical and legal arnis/escrima
Anonymous
Unregistered

quote: ninja flick batons

What you're referring to is probably as ASP Telescoping Baton. It's not a toy or cheap MA weapon. It's used by many LE personnel around the world including US Secret Service. In some countries, states it's illegal to purchase/own one. Check your local laws.

It's a great weapon if you can get hold of one because they're rarely sold to non-LE personnel.

[This message has been edited by hedkikr (edited 04-14-2005).]

Moderator:  Cord, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Self Defense
Offering stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and other self defense products not available in stores.

Pepper Spray
Online distributor of self defense supplies like videos, stun guns, Tasers and more.

Spy Cameras
Surveillance, Hidden Cameras, Nanny Cams, Digital Recorders, Spy Equipment, Pocket DVR's and more

Stun Gun
Wholesale Directlhy to the Public! Stun gun and Taser Guns and personal protection products. Keep your loved ones at home safe!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga