FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 27 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
TomRosenberg, jessylin, play, Keith_G, LeroyCFischer
22937 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
jwwmantis 2
Beefcake 1
LeroyCFischer 1
futsaowingchun 1
Zombie Zero 1
December
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31
New Topics
Freeing Hand-Wing Chun's last movements
by futsaowingchun
12/17/14 09:40 PM
2015 Master Yang Jwing-Ming Seminar
by jwwmantis
12/05/14 10:36 PM
The Beginners Guide To Stretching
by
12/27/06 11:43 AM
Your true goal
by
03/03/06 07:16 AM
Recent Posts
Freeing Hand-Wing Chun's last movements
by futsaowingchun
12/17/14 09:40 PM
Your true goal
by Beefcake
12/11/14 02:44 AM
The Beginners Guide To Stretching
by LeroyCFischer
12/04/14 02:07 AM
Forum Stats
22937 Members
36 Forums
35591 Topics
432526 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#137013 - 11/17/04 09:40 AM three section staff
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hey i am currently thinking about taking up the three sectional staff, i am already pretty good with nunchaku but im not sure what to expect when another section is added, is the 3 section staff much more difficult than the nunchaku? thanks alot.

#137014 - 11/17/04 05:24 PM Re: three section staff
Anonymous
Unregistered

yes. either get a padded one, or get a helmet. =) i haven't had much experiance with one, but I quickly learned that padded ones are much much much safer for a beginner.

#137015 - 11/19/04 10:02 AM Re: three section staff
Anonymous
Unregistered

I am very skilled with the nunchaku and I pretty much **** with the sectional staff. That should tell you a bit about it. Not an easy weapon to master.

P.S. Watch your knees, lol.

#137016 - 11/19/04 06:46 PM Re: three section staff
Anonymous
Unregistered

What do we honestly know about the three-sectional staff being used in actual combat? Was it used by monks? By peasants? By soldiers?

And what solid evidence do we have (if any) of this weapon's efficacy in real fighting situations? Was it for personal self-defence? Civil defence? Military use? Duels?

#137017 - 11/19/04 08:58 PM Re: three section staff
Anonymous
Unregistered

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Armed_Man_Piker:
What do we honestly know about the three-sectional staff being used in actual combat? Was it used by monks? By peasants? By soldiers?

And what solid evidence do we have (if any) of this weapon's efficacy in real fighting situations? Was it for personal self-defence? Civil defence? Military use? Duels?
[/QUOTE]

I believe it was originally used to harvest rice.

#137018 - 11/20/04 03:46 PM Re: three section staff
Anonymous
Unregistered

actually the story i heard is that a skilled chinese warrior one day was attacked by bandits, while fighting them he broke his staff over one persons head, he had a black smith link the two pieces and after another attack he broke the other end off and again had a blacksmith connect those pieces and that became the three sectional staff, but thats just something i read in a kung fu magazine, i also heard that in ancient china caravans that had skilled martial artists traveling with them would wave a flag with a three sectional staff picture on it to tell bandits of the master they had with them, at least thats what i heard.

#137019 - 11/21/04 10:38 PM Re: three section staff
Anonymous
Unregistered

The 3-section staff is really difficult to learn. I recomend becoming extremly well with the nunchaku before even trying it. When I bought one I realized I was mistaken in thinking that it would be similar, it isnt even close and it is difficult to deliver accurate strike because you have to worry about the end that isnt hitting your target just as much as your target.

#137020 - 11/22/04 09:24 AM Re: three section staff
Anonymous
Unregistered

well it looks like i have a difficult/painfull road ahead of me! i would practice with foam ones but i learned to use the chucks with wooden/metal pairs and only after about 6 months of training with those i picked up my first pair of foam ones and i couldnt stand them. i guess my reasoning behind not using foam ones could be that when you hit yourself with real ones, you tend to not make that mistake again. Also it gives you a profound respect for the weapon and the damage it can do.

#137021 - 11/27/04 04:28 PM Re: three section staff
Anonymous
Unregistered

So nobody has any verifiable evidence on this weapons actual application(s) in combat? Just a bunch of stories and "kwoon gossip"?

#137022 - 11/28/04 12:31 PM Re: three section staff
Fisherman Offline
Veteran

Loc: Colorado, USA
The 3 sectional staff is quite difficult. My suggestion would be to work on regular staff techniques, spins etc. before training with one of these. Even then you will probably want to pad the ends of the weapon with some foam. I did and I still knocked myself out by loosing attention while spinning it around my body - the end popped up and hit me in the corner of my jaw. lol

As for the historical background of the 3 sectional and its use in fighting, I'm not sure. However, I do know that it is an excellent training weapon. It help to coordinate the body with arms, as the nunchaku do - however, the intent of this weapon is extended further away from the body. I think of it as a hybrid of a staff and nunchuk.

With respects, I think that most of the weapons that we train with as martial artists are exactly that. For training. Do you really think that you would get away with bing able to tote around a 3 sectional staff for self defense purposes, or a kwan dao for that matter. I think that would show your lack of ability with your hand techniques and an overall lack of self confidence.
But, thats just my opinion.

Regards,
Chris

#137023 - 11/28/04 01:10 PM Re: three section staff
Anonymous
Unregistered

#137024 - 12/01/04 10:37 AM Re: three section staff
kingbsa Offline

Loc: uk
its a nasty piece of kit i bought 1 under false pretenses as i am fairly skilled in using two nuncuakas, and after having 1 for a few months ive jus bin able to spin it round my body but when it comes to striking or stopping it for that matter im clueless i jus seem to get hit with it an awful lot, lol

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Cord, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Stun Guns
Variety of stun gun devices for your protection

Buy Pepper Spray
Worry about your family when you’re not around? Visit us today to protect everything you value.

Koryu.com
Accurate information on the ancient martial traditions of the Japanese samurai

C2 Taser
Protect yourself and loved ones from CRIME with the latest C2 Taser citizen model. Very effective.

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga