FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 71 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Thomas_Kungfu, traa1, JohnRay50, nogibjjgear, Jrogers001
23250 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
traa1 1
liangxiaoyu123 1
Thomas_Kungfu 1
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
New Topics
differences between shaolin and wing chun ?
by liangxiaoyu123
04/28/20 01:05 AM
Recent Posts
differences between shaolin and wing chun ?
by liangxiaoyu123
04/28/20 01:05 AM
Forum Stats
23250 Members
36 Forums
35704 Topics
432774 Posts

Max Online: 488 @ 01/23/20 01:55 PM
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#136580 - 03/05/05 09:24 AM Re: JKogas question for you?
JKogas Offline
Prolific

Loc: North Carolina
[QUOTE]Originally posted by SOL Martial Arts:

fare enough. Im not saying this will work but i watched one of paul vunaks videos he was saying that the straight bast can stop someone from picking you up from ur legs i think the BJJ people call it the double leg take down any way he was saying that the straight blast can stop someone from doing that to you and he done it on a wrestler and it worked.
[/QUOTE]
So, the straight blast is an unstoppable and unbeatable technique that anyone can do and stop any wrestler? Is that what youíre saying? You donít really believe that do you?
As for what Vunak says and what Vunak doesÖitís all really hearsay unless you hear it come straight out of his mouth donít you think?
Besides man, itís not about what VUNAK can do, itís about what YOU can do or what I can do. Focus on yourself. Train the straight blast really well and then test it. Try it against some really good wrestlers who donít mind mixing it up. See if you can stop the double leg. If you can and can do so a good percentage of the time with the straight blast, then it is everything that Vunak claims that it is.
HoweverÖÖ.just donít bet on it.

I think personaly that one of the good things about wing chun is that it teaches you to occupy your opponents centre line
[/QUOTE]
Wing chun is not the only art that is capable of allowing someone to occupy the centerline. The centerline is just a position relative to your opponent. You can do that in boxing. In wrestling, youíre taught to establish center control. With Brazilian jiu-jitsu, youíre always taught to establish positional control. Positional control is nothing new.
When is the last time you saw some wing chun guys do well in a MMA fight? Lets put it this way, youíd have to go back a long time just to find a wing chun guy Ė nevermind one that did well. You would NEVER find that. Thatís saying something donít you think?

i think that can be usefull when fighting any kind of fighter to be honest i think thats the only good thing about it but i think all fighters would be glad to be able to occupy there opponents centre line.
[/QUOTE]
Thatís cool man. Perhaps you can find something useful in wing chun. I personally donít. I dropped any and all wing chun practice ten years ago and havenít looked back.
If you enjoy wing chun, by all means practice it. Just test it again fully resisting opponents from other disciplines. Do yourself that favor.

no i dont know of him who is he?
[/QUOTE]
Paulson is a legend over here. Heís a long time JKD man under Inosanto. Heís just been around for a while and fought professionally in Japan and elsewhere. Nevermind.

why does it (sparring) depend on my goal(s)?
[/QUOTE]

Your goals as a martial artists are important. Depending on what those goals, you may need to adjust your training accordingly. If you want to be a competitive fighter, you will need to train harder. If you donít want to be such a fighter, you wonít need to train as hard. Itís just common sense.

So what exactly is drilling? i think i have a ruff idea.

[/QUOTE]

Drilling is just isolating specific things that you do in fighting, in order to devote more time to their development. An example of drilling is, jab vs. jab. Thatís where you and a partner do nothing but spar the jab. No other punches are allowed. You can isolate and train almost EVERYTHING! Do so and youíll develop your skills much quicker than by sparring alone. Intelligent drilling is the key.

what do you mean by striking training are you just saying you wear gloves when your hitting sometink?

[/QUOTE]

Yes, I almost always wear gloves when hitting anything. Itís to both protect your hands and to protect your partners. That is somewhat importantÖ.

lol whats the 1 percent that aint movement?[/QUOTE]

Thatís when someone is learning a particular movement or somethingÖbefore theyíve really gotten a good grasp of it. It also means weíre just standing around talking or something [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/biggrin.gif[/IMG]

Sometimes when working a particular high count combination we may stand still momentarily. I mean in order to strike, you have to have a base to strike out of. If youíve ever noticed, you canít really strike with any authority if youíre moving around and havenít established your footing. Thatís the 1 percent.

and by movement are you talking about on the balls of your feet and bouncing?

[/QUOTE]

Weíre always moving on the balls of our feet, but weíre not really bouncing. This ainít TKD here, lol

[QUOTE]Originally posted by SOL Martial Arts: how long do you think it takes to learn the basic mechanics?
[/QUOTE]

That depends on the individual. How much time is someone willing to put in and how often they do their homework. How often do they visualize good technique when away from training, like when lying in bed at night? All those things factor in. Thereís no specific answer to that question.

Since all really functional techniques are basic, it really shouldnít take a VERY long time to develop some basic game. And truthfully, itís not the mechanics that often need to be mastered, itís the TIMING of those basic techniques that matters most. That requires alive drilling and sparring.

Can you give me a good example of reistance i know what it is but i cant think how i would do it in practice? what do you mean by energy?do you mean effort?
/quote]

Resistance and energy are basically the same thing. How must are your partners resisting your efforts to hit them or put them into joint locks? Thatís resistance. How much energy are they using while resisting? Get the idea?

what i ment was once uve got the hang of drilling somethink out would you continue drilling it out even know you can do it near enough perfect? or would you stop drilling in it altogther and just spar with it instead of drilling with it?
[/QUOTE]

I would always drill the fundamentals. Thatís because fundamentals are easy, but require TIMING. Timing is something you can lose if you donít drill it constantly. ALL techniques require a good sense of timing to execute. The easier a technique is to execute, the easier it will be to develop that timing. But it must always be drilled because that way, you can isolate it better and get more repetitions in. You canít always work repetitions when sparring because the scenarios where a specific technique becomes available doesnít always come up. Thatís why drilling is so important. And, thatís where your timing will come from.

Now with that said, if I have developed a good sense of timing with my technique, I should be able to easily execute it during sparring Ė which is important as well. Sparring though, serves a different purpose than does drilling. Itís mainly to ďtestĒ what you have learned. However, sparring should have a goal and purpose and not be just for the chance to beat up your partners. It seems that a lot of people havenít realized that point.

In short, I would NEVER stop drilling something. Drilling (alive drilling) is more important perhaps than even sparring.

i dont know how to drill how do i drill and how would i develop my timing through drilling?
[/QUOTE]

Drilling is how you practice your technique. What you do is, isolate the situation where a specific technique occurs. Then you practice it over and over with a partner who offers increasing amounts of resistance to what youíre trying to do. Itís important that he resists your efforts to work the technique progressively over the duration of your practice. But donít let the drill turn into a sparring session. Thatís the mistake that many inexperienced people do.

sorry i dont understand the last sentance and i dont know what acclimate means?

[/QUOTE]

Acclimate means to ďget used to somethingĒ. To become accustomed to a thing or situation.

so if i was ever to go to that part of the states would i have somewhere to stay and somewhere to train?
[/QUOTE]

Well, you would definitely have somewhere to train! I wouldnít likely be able to give you room and board at the moment. But I would certainly welcome you and do everything I could to help. Iíve already had several guests from overseas and itís always a great experience!

i live in the United Kindom myself. Im starting muay thai today im going in a hour. Do you know of any other good styles which i can do over here they dont do BJJ they do normal JJ do you think thats any good? they do thichi aswell i dont think thats any good what do you think? Do you think i should stay in thai boxing or do another style aswell while im doing thai boxing? thanx again.
[/QUOTE]

Thai boxing is great. Pay extra attention to the development of your punching. Youíll do great Iím sure.

Stay in touch.

-John

#136581 - 03/05/05 10:05 AM Re: JKogas question for you?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Good Lord, JKogas.

You deserve some kind of award for doing this.

Make sure you thank the man, SOL!

#136582 - 03/05/05 12:40 PM Re: JKogas question for you?
JKogas Offline
Prolific

[QUOTE]Originally posted by MattJ:
Good Lord, JKogas.

You deserve some kind of award for doing this.

Make sure you thank the man, SOL!
[/QUOTE]

Just trying to do my part, lol. Trying to be a part of the solution instead of being part of the problem I guess [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/wink.gif[/IMG]

Thanks

-John

#136583 - 03/05/05 03:16 PM Re: JKogas question for you?
Anonymous
Unregistered

MattJ i know he does JKogas is a good man and i thank him alot for his information at the moment i look up to him JKogas knows alot of useful information. He didnt answer my last questions though but it dont matter i respect him for answering all of those questions i asked him Thanx again JKogas.

#136584 - 03/05/05 04:49 PM Re: JKogas question for you?
JKogas Offline
Prolific

I'm sorry SOL - I thought I answered your question. Please repost that specific question and I'll do my best to answer it.

-John

#136585 - 03/06/05 01:31 PM Re: JKogas question for you?
Anonymous
Unregistered

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------So, the straight blast is an unstoppable and unbeatable technique that anyone can do and stop any wrestler? Is that what youíre saying? You donít really believe that do you?

I never said it can stop any wrestler and i never said it is unstoppable i believe theres a way around anythink and every think. I said he said it can stop the double leg take down and im about %60 sure that it can but i would have to practice it to know for sure.

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------As for what Vunak says and what Vunak doesÖitís all really hearsay unless you hear it come straight out of his mouth donít you think?

yep.

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------Besides man, itís not about what VUNAK can do, itís about what YOU can do or what I can do.

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Besides man, itís not about what VUNAK can do, itís about what YOU can do or what I can do. Focus on yourself.

thats obviously true but i was just sayin what i heard to see if you think the straight blast is any good.

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------Try it against some really good wrestlers who donít mind mixing it up.

I would if i knew any lol.

When is the last time you saw some wing chun guys do well in a MMA fight?

lol i watched only one of them fights a wing chun guy against a wrestler obviously the wrestler won but JKogas your missing my point im not gonna become a wing chun man am i im gonna take the usefull stuff out even know i aint tried taking the useful stuff out of any think yet i wouldnt know how to blend it if that is what ur supposto do is blend it?

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------Lets put it this way, youíd have to go back a long time just to find a wing chun guy Ė nevermind one that did well. You would NEVER find that. Thatís saying something donít you think?

lol theres a wing chung guy that teaches about 30mins from where i live. what are you saying none of them have done well?

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thatís cool man. Perhaps you can find something useful in wing chun. I personally donít. I dropped any and all wing chun practice ten years ago and havenít looked back.

WOW ten years ago how long was you in it and how long have you been doing martial arts for?

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you enjoy wing chun, by all means practice it. Just test it again fully resisting opponents from other disciplines. Do yourself that favor.

JKogas yer ok but practice it in progressive resistance?

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------Paulson is a legend over here. Heís a long time JKD man under Inosanto. Heís just been around for a while and fought professionally in Japan and elsewhere. Nevermind.

is he a teacher now? do you think his better than dan?

quote:
Your goals as a martial artists are important. Depending on what those goals, you may need to adjust your training accordingly. If you want to be a competitive fighter, you will need to train harder. If you donít want to be such a fighter, you wonít need to train as hard. Itís just common sense.

well i do train hard anyway.

quote:
Drilling is just isolating specific things that you do in fighting, in order to devote more time to their development. An example of drilling is, jab vs. jab.

so how long would u spend on each thing u work about 20 minutes? would u decrease ther time u spend on it? would u only drill individual tools? so u wouldnt practice jab, cross or jab, cross, hook?

quote:
Thatís where you and a partner do nothing but spar the jab. No other punches are allowed.

so u wouldnt practice separate things for example u practice just the jab and i practice the stop hit to the shin? or u practice the jab and i only practice the hook?

quote:
It also means weíre just standing around talking or something.

lol i hope u dont mean in training time [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/frown.gif[/IMG]

quote:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I mean in order to strike, you have to have a base to strike out of. If youíve ever noticed

yeh ive noticed that. Ive also noticed that u can bounce and rush in while bouncing.

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------Weíre always moving on the balls of our feet, but weíre not really bouncing. This ainít TKD here, lol

LOL what are you trying to say..... so you dont bounce around like bruce does when fighting chuck norris in the way of the dragon in america its called return of the dragon i dont know why theres 2 different names but saying return of the dragon is just like saying entre the dragon 2 by that i mean the follow up to entre the dragon. If ur not really bouncing on the balls of ur feet what are you doing? and how are you moving?

quote:
That depends on the individual. How much time is someone willing to put in and how often they do their homework

well i train my tools on the bag 2 hours a day plus i lift weights 3 times a week and go jogging 6 days a weak and 3 hours on the rest of my training. i do my homework every day and plus im learning from you so that could be classed as homework to.

quote:
How often do they visualize good technique when away from training, like when lying in bed at night?

Lol i didnt think many people do that i thought i was one of the rear people that do that i guess im not. i visualize a fight going on with me and some one else sometimes someone that fights exactly like me some times a mad man all different types of people and i gotta make sure i defeat them before i go sleep lol.

quote:
Resistance and energy are basically the same thing. How must are your partners resisting your efforts to hit them or put them into joint locks? Thatís resistance. How much energy are they using while resisting? Get the idea?

yeh i get the idea thanx for that.

quote:
Drilling is how you practice your technique. What you do is, isolate the situation where a specific technique occurs. Then you practice it over and over with a partner who offers increasing amounts of resistance to what youíre trying to do. Itís important that he resists your efforts to work the technique progressively over the duration of your practice. But donít let the drill turn into a sparring session. Thatís the mistake that many inexperienced people do.

lol me and my brother was doing somethink that before and it turned a bit into a sparring session but that was not my fault it was my brothers as he is a beginer and only trains when i go to his house.

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------Well, you would definitely have somewhere to train! I wouldnít likely be able to give you room and board at the moment. But I would certainly welcome you and do everything I could to help. Iíve already had several guests from overseas and itís always a great experience!

ok thanx for that would u be able to find me some where to stay if i ever did come like a motel or somethink and how much would it cost? and how much are the gyms with good equipment to train in?

quote:
Thai boxing is great. Pay extra attention to the development of your punching. Youíll do great Iím sure.

im the fittest in that thai boxing place. the man that teaches said he loves my punchs and kicks ive got alot of speed and power he said and my partner said the same. i know i was hitting the pads with alot more speed and power than most of them probley all of them they was all watching me and one asked me have i done this before lol.

do u think its a good idea to go into 2 styles or 3 or 4 styles at once? or is it best to stay in muay thai for a few years?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Cord, JKogas, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Self Defense
Offering stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and other self defense products not available in stores.

Pepper Spray
Online distributor of self defense supplies like videos, stun guns, Tasers and more.

Spy Cameras
Surveillance, Hidden Cameras, Nanny Cams, Digital Recorders, Spy Equipment, Pocket DVR's and more

Stun Gun
Wholesale Directlhy to the Public! Stun gun and Taser Guns and personal protection products. Keep your loved ones at home safe!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga