FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 36 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
TomRosenberg, jessylin, play, Keith_G, LeroyCFischer
22937 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
jwwmantis 2
futsaowingchun 1
Zombie Zero 1
Beefcake 1
LeroyCFischer 1
December
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31
New Topics
Freeing Hand-Wing Chun's last movements
by futsaowingchun
12/17/14 09:40 PM
2015 Master Yang Jwing-Ming Seminar
by jwwmantis
12/05/14 10:36 PM
The Beginners Guide To Stretching
by
12/27/06 11:43 AM
Your true goal
by
03/03/06 07:16 AM
Recent Posts
Freeing Hand-Wing Chun's last movements
by futsaowingchun
12/17/14 09:40 PM
Your true goal
by Beefcake
12/11/14 02:44 AM
The Beginners Guide To Stretching
by LeroyCFischer
12/04/14 02:07 AM
Forum Stats
22937 Members
36 Forums
35591 Topics
432526 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#136498 - 05/18/05 12:10 AM Re: Footwork: The single most important aspect of [Re: DBZInspired]
Chen Zen Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Ms
Quote:

Ok Here A good question Can you win a fight with footwork alone?(Don't include kicking for thoughs who try to be smart).

Why yes you can. Just a small example of this, Mr Miyagi in the Karate kid.

#136499 - 05/20/05 06:52 AM Re: Footwork: The single most important aspect of [Re: Chen Zen]
Rumble Offline

In my opinion foot work main purpose is to acquire ultimate BALANCE in any position. Its not how fast you can evade a punch with your foot work its if you can evade a punch and still have complete balance because the punch usually hits you when your off balance. By practicing foot work the better or faster you become the more balance you will need to control your foot work.

#136500 - 05/31/05 09:46 AM Re: Footwork: The single most important aspect of [Re: DBZInspired]
RazorFoot Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Seated at the computer, DUH
Quote:

Ok Here A good question Can you win a fight with footwork alone?(Don't include kicking for thoughs who try to be smart).

Define "win". Offensively, if you extend footwork to include leg buckles, leg traps, and leg checks, I would say yes. Having your opponent fall face first on concrete or hyper-extending his knee may be enough to let him know that if things do get more serious, he could get hurt badly.

Defensively, I would think that it would have to affect someone psycologically if everytime they tried to hit you, you simply were not there. After a while, I think they would realize they were in over their head and may want to reconsider. Checking all his movement before he can get off his attacks may discourage him enough to make them give up.

So yeah, it could feasibly win the fight for you.

#136501 - 05/31/05 01:48 PM Re: Footwork: The single most important aspect of [Re: DBZInspired]
MattJ Offline
Free Rhinoplasty!
Prolific

Loc: York PA. USA
Quote by DBZInspired -

Quote:

I'm sorry to inform you, but you really can not seperate footwork from kicks. Kicks are merely extensions of footwork.

The common front kick is really just a normal step, extended and pushed forward.

The sidekick is really just a side-step, raised and extended, etc.

And so on.

If you mean to ask if a fight can be won strictly by using defense, that is another question.

#136502 - 06/07/05 08:19 AM Re: Footwork: The single most important aspect of [Re: DBZInspired]
kroh Offline

Loc: Rhode Island, USA
Quote:

Must have been a good question to have been referenced so many times.

I have seen footwork win the fight many times. The classic example was Mohammad Ali. His no non-sense hit and fade tactics had him punching one minute and circling the guy the next.

Another great martial arts clip I have seen protrays Dog Brother Eric Knaus (Top Dog) in a full contact stick match strike his opponent behind the knee ( while dodgin a pre-emptive shot...foot work on this motion was brilliant) and fade away before the other guy could do anything.

Footwork can make all the difference in the world and can go along way to controlling the fight. Has footwork ever won the fight on it's own...I think if you could properly manuever your opponnent into oncomming traffic during rush hour...got a good chance of winning that one.

Regards,
Walt

#136503 - 06/07/05 01:39 PM Re: Footwork: The single most important aspect of [Re: kroh]
QuietGal Offline

Loc: Missouri
Footwork is very important for me (including kicks as a part of "footwork"). I can't always compete against the guys when it comes to punches, but my kicks can help make things more equal. I don't have as much power/physical strength as a man would, so I need to make sure that what I do have as a strength has to be the best it possible can me (I don't say perfect b/c 1) I am far from that 2) nothing is ever perfect).
Also, considering others, if you are not solid on your feet, executing whatever, then what you did probably won't be delivered as effectively if your footwork had been strong.

#136504 - 06/29/05 03:01 PM Re: Footwork: The single most important aspect of [Re: DBZInspired]
joeyxsama Offline

Quote:

Well, if you have good footwork and endurance, you could just evade all their attacks and tire them out till they can't fight and you win by default.

#136505 - 06/29/05 03:36 PM Re: Footwork: The single most important aspect of [Re: joeyxsama]
muaythaiguy Offline

Loc: Michigan, USA
footwork can win a fight. lure them into areas where when they miss you, the environment punishes them, i.e. punching a locker (that was my favorite tactic in HS)

#136506 - 08/03/05 09:47 PM Re: Footwork: The single most important aspect of [Re: Chen Zen]
cinattra Offline
Stranger

Footwork (i.e. running) as you talk about it is important to those who don't want to have their hair messed up in a fight. You cannot avoid getting hit, taken down, or thrown through footwork alone. Footwork is usually coupled with bobbing and weaving and feinting and grabbing and parrying and blocking and stop kicks and punches and kicks. Thinking you can dodge and avoid every attempted offense towards your person is ludicrous.

#136507 - 08/07/05 12:18 AM Re: Footwork: The single most important aspect of [Re: cinattra]
Chen Zen Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Ms
While all of the things you listed are often coupled with footwork, non of them are effective without it.

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Cord, JKogas, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Ryukyu Art
Artifacts from the Ryukyu Kingdom missing since WWII. Visit www.ShisaLion.Org to view pictures

Best Stun Guns
Self Defense Products-stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and more

Surveillance 4U
Complete surveillance systems for covert operations or secure installation security

Asylum Images
Book presents photo tour of the Trans-Allegany Lunatic Asylum. A must if you're going to take a ghost tour!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga