FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 31 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
TomRosenberg, jessylin, play, Keith_G, LeroyCFischer
22937 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
futsaowingchun 2
jwwmantis 2
Beefcake 1
LeroyCFischer 1
December
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31
New Topics
Chum Kiu's double Tan Sau motion
by futsaowingchun
Today at 10:08 AM
Freeing Hand-Wing Chun's last movements
by futsaowingchun
12/17/14 09:40 PM
2015 Master Yang Jwing-Ming Seminar
by jwwmantis
12/05/14 10:36 PM
The Beginners Guide To Stretching
by
12/27/06 11:43 AM
Your true goal
by
03/03/06 07:16 AM
Recent Posts
Chum Kiu's double Tan Sau motion
by futsaowingchun
Today at 10:08 AM
Freeing Hand-Wing Chun's last movements
by futsaowingchun
12/17/14 09:40 PM
Your true goal
by Beefcake
12/11/14 02:44 AM
The Beginners Guide To Stretching
by LeroyCFischer
12/04/14 02:07 AM
Forum Stats
22937 Members
36 Forums
35592 Topics
432527 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#136488 - 04/09/05 04:29 PM Re: Footwork: The single most important aspect of fighting
DragonFire1134 Offline
Former Moderator

Loc: Theodore (mobile), Alabama
Your legs have a lot to do with punching power.

Your right though, good footwork is only a basis...

Without it, your basically screwed [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/cool.gif[/IMG]

#136489 - 04/09/05 06:17 PM Re: Footwork: The single most important aspect of fighting
Anonymous
Unregistered

Yea okay footwork is an important factor. But let me ask you this. So what if you can move around very well. What does it matter if you have no speed, no strength, no stamina, no technique? What if two fighters are equally skilled in footwork whats the deciding factor then? Okay lets say your footwork is very good but what if you can't take hits, no matter what in a fight unless the person is a complete noob your going to get hit you think footwork is going to matter then? Whatever happened to strategy in battle?
Whatever happned to skill? Is footwork all that really matters? Don't be foolish.

[This message has been edited by Sarath (edited 04-09-2005).]

#136490 - 04/13/05 05:51 PM Re: Footwork: The single most important aspect of fighting
Anonymous
Unregistered

http://home.vtmuseum.org/articles/peterson/mabu.php

That is i think relevant, if you want a more accurate description of what Bagua Monk was talking about.

Footwork is not everything but it can certaainly give you the edge i a fight, and it certainly essential

#136491 - 05/07/05 06:20 PM Re: Footwork: The single most important aspect of fighting [Re: Chen Zen]
Striker Offline

Loc: Lťvis, Quebec, Canada
Chen Zen wrote :
Quote:

Every serious student of self defense should train his footwork at least one hour a day

Could you give some drills that train footwork? I think Paul Vunak said to tie together your two ankles at shoulder width apart and go sparring for an hour. What do you think about that?

#136492 - 05/08/05 04:59 PM Re: Footwork: The single most important aspect of fighting [Re: Striker]
etaks86 Offline

i think that's good for a ma's footwork you know the rope and ankle thing i've done that before. it really makes you keep your footwork in check, you know it makes you work on your footwork. i think footwork is very important in fighting but i wouldn't call it the single most important aspect of fighting but it is very important. but i think that someone who wants to be their best in martial arts should be equally good with their arms, legs, and with their body as a whole.

#136493 - 05/10/05 08:07 AM Re: Footwork: The single most important aspect of fighting [Re: etaks86]
Ace Offline

Loc: Melbourne, Australia
yeh.. in importance, footwork wins, after all, you can hit someone if your arms are spastic (no offence ment) but if your five meters away you cant... so, although they were crappy examples, if you can control your footwork, you can control the fight.

#136494 - 05/10/05 08:18 AM Re: Footwork: The single most important aspect of [Re: Ace]
Bodiharma Offline

My Sifu started learning Tai Chi Quan about a year ago, and Iíve noticed that he rarely uses his feet or footwork anymore, itís like he hardly ever moves when he fights its more of a jump, obviously itís an exaggeration, but compared to when he had more of a Chor Lay Fut style, he hardly moves at all.

This leads me to believe the footwork is paramount when learning and practicing external styles, but (donít get me wrong) no as important in internal styles?

Doesnít that make any sense?

#136495 - 05/10/05 08:49 AM Re: Footwork: The single most important aspect of [Re: Bodiharma]
Ace Offline

Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Internal styles have alot to do with breathing and as such, where external styles have more to do with your physical movement having direct impact on environmet, so yes, footwork is more important in external styles, alhough some internal styles makes extensive use of footwork too.

#136496 - 05/10/05 03:23 PM Re: Footwork: The single most important aspect of [Re: Bodiharma]
fai_jing Offline
Stranger

Quote:

My Sifu started learning Tai Chi Quan about a year ago, and Iíve noticed that he rarely uses his feet or footwork anymore, itís like he hardly ever moves when he fights its more of a jump, obviously itís an exaggeration, but compared to when he had more of a Chor Lay Fut style, he hardly moves at all.

This leads me to believe the footwork is paramount when learning and practicing external styles, but (donít get me wrong) no as important in internal styles?

Doesnít that make any sense?

thank`s to my student for introducing me to this forum (bodiharma) i`ve been studying martial arts over twenty years now & teaching for about ten ialso agree & instill in my students no matter what style you study foot work is vitaly important. the styles i teach are wing chun choi li fut short yang form tai chi and am currently learning what is thought to be the original yang lu chan tai chi my instructor trains with Earl Montague who now resides in the uk. my student was alittle of base with my foot work as i do move but use explosive energy called fai jing.

#136497 - 05/17/05 08:16 PM Re: Footwork: The single most important aspect of [Re: fai_jing]
DBZInspired Offline

Loc: United States, Georgia, Atlant...
Ok Here A good question Can you win a fight with footwork alone?(Don't include kicking for thoughs who try to be smart).

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Cord, JKogas, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Fight Videos
Night club fight footage and street fights captured with the world's first bouncer spy cam

How to Matrix!
Learn ten times faster with new training method. Learn entire arts for as little as $10 per disk.

Self Defense
Stun guns, pepper spray, Mace and self defense products. Alarms for personal and home use.

TASER MC26C
Stop An Urban Gorilla: Get 2 FREE TASER M26C Replacement Air Cartridges With Each New TASER M26C!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga