FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 62 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Shanktotheright, royal, bobgalle100011, agenonline, TooNice
22862 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
THEFOREVERMAN 3
Dobbersky 3
MattJ 2
royal 2
ergees 1
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30
New Topics
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by Marcus Charles
03/24/14 04:39 PM
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by Dobbersky
03/20/14 05:45 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
AKK kata question
by
09/04/05 01:27 PM
Recent Posts
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by THEFOREVERMAN
Yesterday at 08:22 AM
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by THEFOREVERMAN
Yesterday at 08:20 AM
AKK kata question
by MattJ
04/04/14 05:45 PM
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Forum Stats
22862 Members
36 Forums
35546 Topics
432378 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#136190 - 05/29/05 12:00 AM Re: How many times must you perform a technique be [Re: Chen Zen]
Hedgehogey Offline

Repetition of dead drills does not translate into effective fighting, no matter how many times you do it.

Hard sparring, directly applicable drills and conditioning do.

#136191 - 05/29/05 01:49 AM Re: How many times must you perform a technique be [Re: Hedgehogey]
SANCHIN31 Offline
Former Moderator

Loc: Arkansas, U.S.
Repitition of dumb comments does not translate into debating.

#136192 - 05/29/05 10:57 AM Re: How many times must you perform a technique be [Re: Hedgehogey]
MattJ Offline
Free Rhinoplasty!
Prolific

Loc: York PA. USA
Quote by Hedgehogey -

Quote:

Hard sparring, directly applicable drills and conditioning do

What? You don't repeat that stuff? I guess in one sparring session I can become t3h d34dly?

I know I was in fact refering to that kind of stuff as well.

#136193 - 05/31/05 05:11 PM Re: How many times must you perform a technique be [Re: MattJ]
Cord Offline
Prolific

Loc: Cambridge UK.
OK lets work on the premise that technique repetition of 10000 times gives you a good muscle memory of any given technique.
If you make a point of practicing 'technique A' 100 times five days per week (either at start or end of the day- similar to how many people do their ab work), regardless of other training, that means you can 'burn' it into your response system in 20 weeks. From then on you will need to incorporate it into your 'regular' practice to keep it fresh, but you can shift emphasis onto 'technique B'. Potentialy you can aim to add 2 techniques per year to your instinctive response system, if you have the desire, and remain injury free. Of course, as time goes on you will be juggling more and more of these techniques, and your practice will be more vigerous. But with the familiarity will come an informed opinion on their merits for you personally, and you can let some you do not rate highly slide in favour of more promising techniques. If in five years of trial and error you cna truly say you have 8 techniques that you can use/combine and adapt to any live situation, I would say that would make you very effective indeed.

#136194 - 05/31/05 07:54 PM Re: How many times must you perform a technique before its mastered? [Re: Chen Zen]
Diga Offline

Loc: Hoodsport, Washington
Forget that question.
No matter how many times you practice something you should never consider it mastered. If you think you have meatered it then you are asleep at the wheel.

I have never met a "master" that considered himself a master. It is his students that refer to him with that title.

Keep practicing and you will keep learning, there is no end to it.

#136195 - 06/02/05 07:27 AM Re: How many times must you perform a technique before its mastered? [Re: Diga]
MAGr Offline
Veteran

Loc: London, home: Athens
I would sort of agree with diga.
For example i do about 1500 chain punches a day,
But every week that goes by, my technique gets better and better, muscle memory is just that, memory and if not practiced it will be forgotten.
I did a drill with a student that was a senior and we did a basic drill which he had forgotten and i had to show him!
I dont think a move is ever mastered to completeness, i think that there are levels, and acceptable proficient levels whih you say then that you have "mastered the move" so that you can move on to the next technique, but there are always higher levels.

#136196 - 06/02/05 08:33 PM Re: How many times must you perform a technique before its mastered? [Re: MAGr]
Rumble Offline

To me in my opinion it depends on the person some are very fast learners some are very slow learners some fall inbetween or some are gifted.

#136197 - 06/18/05 03:13 AM Re: How many times must you perform a technique be [Re: SANCHIN31]
Chen Zen Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Ms
One of the smartest posts Ive seen in a while.

#136198 - 07/05/05 05:24 PM Re: How many times must you perform a technique be [Re: Chen Zen]
katsuhayai05 Offline

Loc: florida
I think practicing a technique a certain amount of times to gain mastery is silly. If you can perform it under stressful situations sufficiently then you have gained mastery. I started high school wrestling my senior year of high school. I had never wrestled before but practice was very hard and you did the techniques under a lot of stress. Often after you already had a conditioning session. The point is I wasnt the best wrestler cuz I only did it for 4 months but I took some 2nd 3rd and 4th places at tournaments, and I can surely tell you that I hadn't practiced the techniques 10000 times but we always practiced under full resisting opponents and under stressful situations where our muscles were able to perform them even better under good conditions. Basically if you perform a technique dilligently and under realistic conditions you will learn it whether it takes a ten times or ten thousand. THERE IS NO MAGIC SET POINT TO LEARNING ANY TECHNIQUE.

#136199 - 07/20/05 09:35 PM Re: How many times must you perform a technique before its mastered? [Re: Chen Zen]
kyokushinkai Offline

Loc: Prince Edward Island , Canada
I never read all the other posts so if this was already said then just ignore this,You never master a technique because tommorow you will be better at it.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Cord, JKogas, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Stun Guns
Variety of stun gun devices for your protection

Buy Pepper Spray
Worry about your family when you’re not around? Visit us today to protect everything you value.

Koryu.com
Accurate information on the ancient martial traditions of the Japanese samurai

C2 Taser
Protect yourself and loved ones from CRIME with the latest C2 Taser citizen model. Very effective.

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga