FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 71 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Thomas_Kungfu, traa1, JohnRay50, nogibjjgear, Jrogers001
23250 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
traa1 1
liangxiaoyu123 1
Thomas_Kungfu 1
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
New Topics
differences between shaolin and wing chun ?
by liangxiaoyu123
04/28/20 01:05 AM
Recent Posts
differences between shaolin and wing chun ?
by liangxiaoyu123
04/28/20 01:05 AM
Forum Stats
23250 Members
36 Forums
35704 Topics
432774 Posts

Max Online: 488 @ 01/23/20 01:55 PM
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#136105 - 01/14/05 01:22 PM Re: misconception about JKD
Anonymous
Unregistered

Picking and choosing what you want to use sort warps the point of practice MAs, don't you think. I mean isn't get through trials and tribualtions the point of practicing MAs? I see what Inosanto meant but JKD is about being fluid and flexible not really about rejecting and accepting, a little bit, but not totally.

#136106 - 01/14/05 01:30 PM Re: misconception about JKD
Anonymous
Unregistered

yeah man for sure, fluid and flexible. thats why you need to cross train, to be flexible. thats what lee figured out. a punch is a punch a kick is a kick.......

#136107 - 01/16/05 01:56 PM Re: misconception about JKD
Anonymous
Unregistered

That's all well and good. But, JKD is a system, albeit a flexible one, but it is still a system. There is a core that, no matter what your own JKD contains, it still requires the core to be JKD.

#136108 - 01/17/05 02:34 AM Re: misconception about JKD
Anonymous
Unregistered

[QUOTE]I see what Inosanto meant but JKD is about being fluid and flexible not really about rejecting and accepting, a little bit, but not totally. [/QUOTE]

that is what he meant, you cannot be fluid if something doesnt work for you, hense "reject what is useless", the more something works for you the more fluid you can be, hense "accept what is usefull and add what is specificaly your own".

go here - "inosanto.com"

[This message has been edited by alf182 (edited 01-17-2005).]

#136109 - 01/17/05 09:41 AM Re: misconception about JKD
Anonymous
Unregistered

Have to disagree with you, DrewCQC.

JKD is more of a mindset or philosophy than a codified system.

If you are refering to the 26 "core arts" of JKD, I believe that Bruce did not mean for people to literally use those. I think it was more along the lines of, "These are what I use to have flexabilty in combat, and you need to find what combination works for you."

My "core arts" of JKD would be (and are) different.

If I have mis-interpreted you, I apologize, but I don't see what other "core" you might be talking about as far as a JKD "system".

#136110 - 01/17/05 12:35 PM Re: misconception about JKD
Anonymous
Unregistered

remember folks, in order for bruce to be a better fighter, flexible fighter, he had to cross train. get away from the tradition of wing chung, an learn how to box, grapple, and i think at that time the world of martial arts was shocked at his new found belief. even chuck norris a full conctact karate champion. studied bruces ways.

#136111 - 02/10/05 03:52 PM Re: misconception about JKD
Anonymous
Unregistered

i think the way 2 beat any way of fighting is 2 under stand why and how the came across this way of doin it. i feel tht the way bruce went out 2 create the best way of fighting is gd but i feel there will always be something tht could be done to make it better. does any 1 here agree??

#136112 - 02/11/05 12:55 PM Re: misconception about JKD
Anonymous
Unregistered

of course, things can be done more effective more efficiently. like the book bruce lees fighting method vol 1 on self defence, and its very simple and straight forward, none of this 5 or 10 techniques just to accomplish on task.

#136113 - 02/14/05 09:37 PM Re: misconception about JKD
Anonymous
Unregistered

[QUOTE]Originally posted by DrewCQC:
That's all well and good. But, JKD is a system, albeit a flexible one, but it is still a system. There is a core that, no matter what your own JKD contains, it still requires the core to be JKD.[/QUOTE]

Actually, he is more on the money than a lot of people professing the JKD name. The martial art formulated by Bruce Lee contained Wing Chun, Western Boxing, and Western Fencing as it's most direct core. AS he adapted other tactics ( not techniques ...but tactics ) into his personal fighting system, it became more solidified into a fighting method that was tailored to the way he believed his fighting skills could best be expressed in combat.

If certain elements ( not techniques )of the "core" system are not present, then one is not doing Jeet Kune Do. You well may be doing a mixed martial art that has progressed you into another level of understanding conflict, which allows you the freedom of expression to defy barriers to win at all costs, and overcome mindsets resistant to outside influence, but you technically are not doing The Way of the Intercepting Fist.

The thing that I find most commical of discussions of this type is that there are a majority that want to be JKD without being JKD. They want to continue the Journey of Sijo Lee and they defy the established path and challenge the established instructors. They want to be different and Original... Just like all the other Different and Original people out there.

There is NO SUCH THING as an original fighting system correlating to empty handed combat. It has all been done before and no matter what one calls it... It is the same thing in a different wrapper. All Lee did was to expose that the martial arts of his time as becomming too complicated so they could sell the "fantasy" of Martial arts.

Before the reformations that doomed the military class in japan, if one were to look at the way they fought...It would be a lot like Lee's philosophy...Same thing in China.
Whatever worked and was most efficient was the order of the day. Only after, when they ( the soldiers) were out of work and had to start selling their skills to the masses did things get overly messy...Because the real stuff could be taught in five minutes (exageration) and could be practiced a lifetime. No money in that.

So instead of going over the same old thing again and again about what JKD is and isn't and who is preaching the real gospel ( go to martial talk dot com, Defend dot net, or any umpteenth martial arts site where this has been done to death...), why don't we talk about what YOU have done with the JKD skills or influenced skills that you have learned and where you plan on taking them? What about how you plan to abandon JKD alltogether and branch out in a new direction (new to you of course...others may be doing the same as you without you knowing it).

JKD offers us a lot of freedom. WHat are you going to do with your's ???

Regards,
Walt

[This message has been edited by kroh (edited 02-14-2005).]

#136114 - 02/15/05 12:26 PM Re: misconception about JKD
Anonymous
Unregistered

well said bro

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Cord, JKogas, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Fight Videos
Night club fight footage and street fights captured with the world's first bouncer spy cam

How to Matrix!
Learn ten times faster with new training method. Learn entire arts for as little as $10 per disk.

Self Defense
Stun guns, pepper spray, Mace and self defense products. Alarms for personal and home use.

TASER MC26C
Stop An Urban Gorilla: Get 2 FREE TASER M26C Replacement Air Cartridges With Each New TASER M26C!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga