FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 47 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
333kenshin, BradleyCameron, markwn, John057, TigerandDragon
23240 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
TigerandDragon 1
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30 31
New Topics
Recent Posts
Forum Stats
23240 Members
36 Forums
35700 Topics
432769 Posts

Max Online: 488 @ 01/23/20 01:55 PM
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#135612 - 11/03/04 05:31 PM Croos-training
Christiancadet Offline
Enthusiast

OK, I know that it is not always a good idea to just take 4 different kinds of martial art instead of taking one class that teaches it all. But not every town has JKD school, and I was wondering what styles worked well together. Currently I am involved in HKD freestyle wrestling and TKD, and I was wondering if dropping a style and adding boxing or another style would be a good idea, or what styles to try and look for. Also what would be a good way of trying to combine these styles?

#135613 - 11/03/04 07:52 PM Re: Croos-training
Anonymous
Unregistered

Ideally if you train this way you want a specific style for a specific range. Say Savate/TKD=kicking Range
Boxing= Punching Range/close Range
Wing Chun/Snake= Trapping Range
Judo/Jujitsu=ground Range

You want to take the techniques from each and put it into your unique fighting appoach. Thus makeing your own JKD. But at the same time you dont want to be limited by any one system thus remaining free to study others as you see fit. No one art teaches it all it dont matter if its JKD, TKd, Karate etc. Personally I chose one base are and studied different arts to add and expand my base art, but still I can switch to any system I've studied to adapt.

#135614 - 11/03/04 10:58 PM Re: Croos-training
Chen Zen Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Ms
If you have boxing available to you, Id say drop the tkd and go box instead. Better footwork and "stance". It will give you a good standup game to start out with, and you can have a decent ground game as well. Then later, if you want to do kicks and things try Muay Thai. If you dont have boxing available then go for Muay Thai, Wing Chun, or Jujitsu.

#135615 - 11/04/04 12:06 PM Re: Croos-training
MuayThai Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: UK
[QUOTE]Originally posted by AgenT:
No one art teaches it all[/QUOTE]

why are people convinced that no one art teaches it all?

Not meaning to pick but i can name a few that teach everything but gun slinging! [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/biggrin.gif[/IMG]

#135616 - 11/04/04 01:47 PM Re: Croos-training
Anonymous
Unregistered

No one art teaches you how to counter all forms of violence. There is simply to much. Just because a art teaches all ranges and maybe some weapons no matter how physicaly effective still dont solve the problem of violence, violence is a disease ppl just cause it to adapt by just treating the symtoms. There are still several factors like: psychology-both yours and attackers, avoidance, criminal mindset, rape prevention, tactical shooting, realistic knife and gun defense. evironment-how effective will you combatives be if you have to fight on ice?, tort laws,self-defense laws. physiology-such as how to counter the adrenalin dump. The list goes on and on if you have a cure all art that teaches all these thing satisfactory(by that I mean simple realistic approach)then by all means post it on this thread so I can switch of to it.

#135617 - 11/07/04 05:34 PM Re: Croos-training
JKogas Offline
Prolific

Loc: North Carolina
[QUOTE]Originally posted by MuayThai:

why are people convinced that no one art teaches it all?

Not meaning to pick but i can name a few that teach everything but gun slinging! [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/biggrin.gif[/IMG]
[/QUOTE]

If there IS "one art" that teaches it all -- it would be seen as MMA.

So yes, there IS in fact, one art that teaches "it all".

-John

#135618 - 11/07/04 10:46 PM Re: Croos-training
Anonymous
Unregistered

I'm curious, How so. How do you see MMA as containing it all.

#135619 - 11/07/04 11:01 PM Re: Croos-training
Anonymous
Unregistered

I'm curious, How so. How do you see MMA as containing it all.[/QUOTE]

MMA "contains it all" in the unarmed context.

#135620 - 11/08/04 03:00 AM Re: Croos-training
Anonymous
Unregistered

Then MMA is just the tip of the iceberg. I'm sure it would be fine if the streettrat isnt stacking the deck, and they will stack the deck, because surviving is their only concern other then screwing you up. If so then the fighter can quickly find themselves on the wrong end of a blade or pumped full of lead. Realistic training requires far more then hand to hand Skills While mma would be a good place to learn basic skills. Those skills have to change drastically if a weapon is introduced. And a skilled REAL fighter wont give you a chance to use what you know, They are very good at getting you in a bad position.

#135621 - 11/08/04 05:22 AM Re: Croos-training
Anonymous
Unregistered

Then MMA is just the tip of the iceberg. I'm sure it would be fine if the streettrat isnt stacking the deck, and they will stack the deck, because surviving is their only concern other then screwing you up. If so then the fighter can quickly find themselves on the wrong end of a blade or pumped full of lead. Realistic training requires far more then hand to hand Skills While mma would be a good place to learn basic skills. Those skills have to change drastically if a weapon is introduced. And a skilled REAL fighter wont give you a chance to use what you know, They are very good at getting you in a bad position.[/QUOTE]

So add some FMA stick-and-knife work to the repertoire, then.

The Filipino arts have retained their functionality, in regards to the use of weapons, which is a comparatively rare thing these days. When it comes to weapons use, most styles have been reduced to what is essentially performance art.

[This message has been edited by Armed_Man_Piker (edited 11-08-2004).]

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Cord, JKogas, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Ryukyu Art
Artifacts from the Ryukyu Kingdom missing since WWII. Visit www.ShisaLion.Org to view pictures

Best Stun Guns
Self Defense Products-stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and more

Surveillance 4U
Complete surveillance systems for covert operations or secure installation security

Asylum Images
Book presents photo tour of the Trans-Allegany Lunatic Asylum. A must if you're going to take a ghost tour!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga