FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 40 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
AndyLA, danacohenn, ksusanc, kellypnik123, leyinn
22904 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Dobbersky 14
cxt 7
trevek 6
JKogas 5
futsaowingchun 4
July
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
New Topics
Applied center line theory
by futsaowingchun
Yesterday at 08:55 AM
centerline concepts
by futsaowingchun
07/14/14 10:49 PM
language of syllabus
by trevek
07/11/14 03:36 PM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:14 AM
10 San Sik drills-Wing Chun's foundation
by futsaowingchun
06/30/14 11:20 AM
"Ip Man" and "Ip Man 2" the movies.
by TaekwonDoFan
06/30/14 11:02 AM
Anderson Silva - Leg Break
by Dobbersky
12/30/13 08:32 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
Gi or no Gi Grappling?
by Prizewriter
04/16/12 02:48 PM
MMA - A passing Fad
by Dobbersky
04/12/12 11:16 AM
Recent Posts
Gi or no Gi Grappling?
by Dobbersky
Today at 05:11 AM
Applied center line theory
by futsaowingchun
Yesterday at 08:55 AM
centerline concepts
by futsaowingchun
Yesterday at 08:53 AM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by cxt
07/24/14 11:35 AM
language of syllabus
by trevek
07/14/14 04:50 PM
MMA - A passing Fad
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:35 AM
Anderson Silva - Leg Break
by Dobbersky
07/09/14 06:13 AM
Throwing
by JKogas
07/03/14 07:40 PM
10 San Sik drills-Wing Chun's foundation
by futsaowingchun
06/30/14 11:20 AM
"Ip Man" and "Ip Man 2" the movies.
by TaekwonDoFan
06/30/14 11:02 AM
Forum Stats
22904 Members
36 Forums
35564 Topics
432455 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#135460 - 12/07/04 06:35 AM Re: The Wong Jack Man Confrontation
Anonymous
Unregistered

MegaPower16V,
BS, HIGh, HUge, MUSCLE, SKills
JEET KUNE DO, ANYTHING, DEATH. [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/wink.gif[/IMG]

oldman

#135461 - 12/08/04 07:27 AM Re: The Wong Jack Man Confrontation
Anonymous
Unregistered

Id gotten into a fight in San Francisco (a reference, no doubt, to the Bay Area rather than the city) with a Kung-Fu cat, and after a brief encounter the son-of-a-bitch started to run. I chased him and, like a fool, kept punching him behind his head and back. Soon my fists began to swell from hitting his hard head. Right then I realized Wing Chun was not too practical and began to alter my way of fighting.

If this quote truly belongs to Bruce Lee, I perceive WJM as the victor regardless of who got beat up due to his clearly superior attitude to the whole thing. How can someone with so much hatred and arrogance be a truly good martial artist?

#135462 - 12/08/04 09:41 AM Re: The Wong Jack Man Confrontation
DragonFire1134 Offline
Former Moderator

Loc: Theodore (mobile), Alabama
[QUOTE]Originally posted by 45:
"Id gotten into a fight in San Francisco (a reference, no doubt, to the Bay Area rather than the city) with a Kung-Fu cat, and after a brief encounter the son-of-a-bitch started to run. I chased him and, like a fool, kept punching him behind his head and back. Soon my fists began to swell from hitting his hard head. Right then I realized Wing Chun was not too practical and began to alter my way of fighting."

If this quote truly belongs to Bruce Lee, I perceive WJM as the victor regardless of who got beat up due to his clearly superior attitude to the whole thing. How can someone with so much hatred and arrogance be a truly good martial artist?
[/QUOTE]

Its the princible of the thing. If the story is true people were trying to MAKE bruce quit teaching martial arts. So they brought in their best fighter and Bruce accepted the challenge. Now from what I believe Bruce won, just not at the level his was use to. I think it wore him out more so than he had ever been. Thats what I believe, but neither of us can prove any of it you know.

But when you are being told to do something, and you have someone trying to kick your @$$ for no reason at all really, I mean who can judge a fighter based on personal emotions? Cmon...

#135463 - 12/08/04 05:30 PM Re: The Wong Jack Man Confrontation
Anonymous
Unregistered

yeah thats stupid...just because someone is angry or hates someone doesn't mean that it negates all their martial arts abilities....come on...don't say stupid stuff like that.

#135464 - 12/09/04 02:22 PM Re: The Wong Jack Man Confrontation
Anonymous
Unregistered

So let me get this straight, according to Bruce, Wing Chun makes your fists soft?! Wing Chun isn't practical because your fists will swell up if you hit somebody in the head? That either sounds like somebody who doesn't know what they're talking about or someone who's trying to hide something and make an excuse as to why he decided to renounce Wing Chun.

You really wanna know why Bruce renounced the style that he had been practicing for ten years? Because Bruce's Wing Chun proved to be ineffective against Wong's defenses. He could never get in close enough to tag him. Whenever Bruce did get in close, Jack Man Bad would side step and deliver a shocking blow to Bruce's face or torso. It soon became obvious after 20 min. that Bruce totally sucked compared to Wong and he couldn't even keep up (the fight had to stop because Bruce was winded).

After the bout, Linda Lee says that she had to comfort him on the back porch because Bruce was so down on himself. And for what?! Because he was tired after 3 min. and his fists were swelling. I'm sorry but Linda's account (and Bruce's if he meant the "kung fu cat" to be Wong) is complete bunk. She's just trying to glorify him so she can make millions of more dollars.

#135465 - 12/09/04 03:11 PM Re: The Wong Jack Man Confrontation
DragonFire1134 Offline
Former Moderator

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Bandit Killer:
So let me get this straight, according to Bruce, Wing Chun makes your fists soft?! Wing Chun isn't practical because your fists will swell up if you hit somebody in the head? That either sounds like somebody who doesn't know what they're talking about or someone who's trying to hide something and make an excuse as to why he decided to renounce Wing Chun. [/QUOTE]

You ever hit someone in the forehead or back of the head hard enough you would realize how easy it is for a human to break a knuckle or induce swelling!

You really wanna know why Bruce renounced the style that he had been practicing for ten years? Because Bruce's Wing Chun proved to be ineffective against Wong's defenses.[/QUOTE]

I agree with that, (Wongs "defenses" being running around trying to evade Bruce's ruthless attacks). Caused Bruce to start thinking about what works best for him in the combat situation. He decided a lot of wing chun was useless/ineffective for him.
He was type imo to do whatever it took, you know.

If it wasn't for this confrontation, It might have prolonged Bruces rise to fame, who knows?

#135466 - 12/10/04 07:34 PM Re: The Wong Jack Man Confrontation
Anonymous
Unregistered

Actually, Wong didn't "run" around trying to evade Bruce's attacks. According to eye witnesses, they clinched on several occasions. Resulting in Wong managing to lock Bruce's head three times. Jack Man Wong, being the more honorable and cool headed fighter, let Bruce go every time. Only to have Bruce charge him like a mad man.

Besides using his fists, Bruce was using Wing Chun's trademark eye and neck finger gouges. If you ask me, Bruce was unstable and prone to anger far too easily. And is it any surprise? Bruce was the leader of a street gang when he was a young punk back in Hong Kong. He said he starting learning Wing Chun because he wanted to be able to handle himself when his "gang" wasn't there to back him up.

#135467 - 12/11/04 02:15 AM Re: The Wong Jack Man Confrontation
DragonFire1134 Offline
Former Moderator

Besides using his fists, Bruce was using Wing Chun's trademark eye and neck finger gouges. If you ask me, Bruce was unstable and prone to anger far too easily. And is it any surprise? Bruce was the leader of a street gang when he was a young punk back in Hong Kong. He said he starting learning Wing Chun because he wanted to be able to handle himself when his "gang" wasn't there to back him up. [/QUOTE]

I agree 100%. Thats what I like about Bruce though. He did in fact have a rather short fuse, but thats what made him human. Bruce went from trouble youth, to becoming a famous martial artist...
Breaking through the racial barrier, and revolutionizing the way people viewed the martial arts.
And to die at such an early age, love him or hate him, he accomplished a hell of a lot.

#135468 - 12/12/04 08:27 AM Re: The Wong Jack Man Confrontation
Anonymous
Unregistered

[QUOTE]As far as Lee's supposedly superior physique, you might want to check out this link... ]http://www.myodynamics.com/articles/bruce.html[/QUOTE]
Faults with this article:

• That he only squatted reps of 95lbs, if true only shows that he didn't like to strength train his legs.

• That he was of only average cardio/running capabilities means nothing because the type of athlete he was is the opposite of a long-distance runner

I believe was physically gifted in a way different from most people ever born. Looking at all the footage, his muscles had to be some of the most explosive, snappy ones ever seen on a body. This is why he was only an average runner; a runner has a different composition of muscle (slow-twitch vs. fast-twitch) than Lee would have had. Furthermore, I think explosiveness is something apart from pure strength, and that's why he may have only squatted 95lbs, but still have damaging kicks, and the ability to spring and pounce.

#135469 - 12/12/04 09:23 AM Re: The Wong Jack Man Confrontation
Anonymous
Unregistered

There's no "Gifted" he just trained harder and better than everybody else. And that site has nothing to do with anything. his Training isn't for maximum power and HUGEness in the gym, it's for Speed, he purposly stays low on the weights.and as far as being an average runner thats probably because he STopped after 3 miles and road a Bike for a few more miles and did Jump roping. Fast twitch and slow twitch don't have anything to do with it, there are different amounts in different people, but it doesn't REALLY affect you, thats just an excuse to be a lazy poop face and say "oh no...it's genetics i can't do anything about it" People are about 2% different from a MONKEY, so people to people are like .1% difference...we are practically clones...The amount of fast and slow doesn't matter, it's your training that matters.

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Cord, JKogas, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Ryukyu Art
Artifacts from the Ryukyu Kingdom missing since WWII. Visit www.ShisaLion.Org to view pictures

Best Stun Guns
Self Defense Products-stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and more

Surveillance 4U
Complete surveillance systems for covert operations or secure installation security

Asylum Images
Book presents photo tour of the Trans-Allegany Lunatic Asylum. A must if you're going to take a ghost tour!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga