FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 26 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SenseiGregT, sagat, JFawkes, pluckysaga39, sgtdemeo
22911 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
AndyLA 5
Dobbersky 5
Ed_Morris 4
ergees 3
futsaowingchun 3
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
New Topics
2014 World Championships Chelyabinsk: The Gallery
by ergees
Yesterday at 03:51 AM
Biu Tzu- Snake hand strike
by futsaowingchun
08/27/14 09:02 PM
Chum Kiu 2nd section applications
by futsaowingchun
08/20/14 09:54 PM
2013 World Championship Rio: The Gallery (HD)
by ergees
08/19/14 05:22 AM
Chi Sao demonstration
by futsaowingchun
08/14/14 10:57 PM
Decent Fight channel
by FrankyFruits
08/07/14 09:19 PM
2014 European Championships Cadets Athens: Videos
by ergees
08/07/14 10:00 AM
Life goes on....
by Dobbersky
08/07/14 05:59 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:14 AM
Recent Posts
2014 World Championships Chelyabinsk: The Gallery
by ergees
Yesterday at 03:51 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by Zombie Zero
08/29/14 10:50 PM
mindfullness meditation
by log1call
08/28/14 02:39 AM
Biu Tzu- Snake hand strike
by futsaowingchun
08/27/14 09:02 PM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Ed_Morris
08/26/14 09:58 PM
The Karate punch
by Ed_Morris
08/26/14 09:27 PM
Chum Kiu 2nd section applications
by futsaowingchun
08/20/14 09:54 PM
2013 World Championship Rio: The Gallery (HD)
by ergees
08/19/14 05:22 AM
attacked from behind
by AndyLA
08/16/14 04:59 PM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by VDJ
08/15/14 05:46 PM
Forum Stats
22911 Members
36 Forums
35573 Topics
432484 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#135402 - 10/05/04 06:18 PM A QUESTION FOR DR JERRY BEASLEY
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hello Dr Beasely. I have a question for you regarding your thoughts on what I should do for my workout. Here are my thoughts. I am big on weightlifting, NOT like a bodybuider at all,(as they are NOT that strong and not functional at all, like the Strongmen.) more like a Strongman , like Jesse Marunde. I think that the stronger you can become, the better your endurance. Do you recommend I lift mainly for JKD, or do you recommend I do cardiovascular excercise like sprints? Or is cardio a total waste of time? I do have bad knees , so keep this in mind when recommending excercises. I personally feel resistance excercise is the best, what are your thoughts on specific things I should do for a workout? Thanks.

[This message has been edited by Razwell (edited 10-05-2004).]

#135403 - 10/06/04 01:33 PM Re: A QUESTION FOR DR JERRY BEASLEY
Anonymous
Unregistered

Jerry Beasley, how come no response? Are you a fraud who likes to ride on the coat tails of Bruce Lee?

[This message has been edited by Razwell (edited 10-06-2004).]

#135404 - 10/06/04 01:38 PM Re: A QUESTION FOR DR JERRY BEASLEY
Anonymous
Unregistered

Razwell,
I think it might be time to consider changing your screen name to Razpoorly.

Sincerely,
oldman

#135405 - 10/06/04 02:12 PM Re: A QUESTION FOR DR JERRY BEASLEY
Anonymous
Unregistered

Mr. Razwell,
I typically check posts at least one time per day. Your second remark was uncalled for. An apology is due.
Please state your goal. Are you a skilled martial artist or just beginning? Acquiring strength will be important. If you are at a level at which you can spar you will find you can combine cardio with limited resistance for an effective workout. To advance in martial art first concentrate on martial art! Lift to improve your attributes for martial art.
Also be patient. I will check in again Thursday.
As for Bruce Lee he was once a shinning star. He is no more. Each of us must in our own way make the most of the information he contributed. I have never been a devoted fan of Bruce Lee as a movie star. Nor do I have much interest in the way he lived his life. However I have for many years been a student of his "way" of practicing martial art. And, not because he was once a movie star but because he offered a glimpse at the truth in combat. If I can help you I will.

JB

#135406 - 10/06/04 02:22 PM Re: A QUESTION FOR DR JERRY BEASLEY
Anonymous
Unregistered

Sorry that I made a statement like that. I basically am looking for a workout geared to making me fit for JKD. I am not a beginner. I already have plenty of strength , I just have bad knees, and am wondering what you recommend specifically for cardio and weights? Do you feel cardio is more important than weights, or is cardio a total waste of time, better spent lifting weights? Please be specific in what to do for a workout, but please keep in mind I have bad knees. Thanks.

#135407 - 10/06/04 03:34 PM Re: A QUESTION FOR DR JERRY BEASLEY
Anonymous
Unregistered

Wow,
Haven't seen backpedaling that fast since
I took my kids to the Russian Circus. Aikia, I would like to commend you on your firm yet gracious response. It gives me an example to aspire too.

Sicerely,
oldman

#135408 - 10/07/04 12:40 PM Re: A QUESTION FOR DR JERRY BEASLEY
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks Oldman. This is a well run site and members understand that the rules should be followed. I visited a site yesterday on which caustic remarks seemed to be common place. I won't be back to that site.
Razwell,
Cardio will always be an important part of martial arts training. You may combine weights and cardio by lifting in the following manner. Bicepts curl, stand up rowing, flys, bench press, bent over rowing etc... Standard upper body workout designed to facilitate martial arts attributes. Simply concentrate on technique and go for maximun reps (10-15). The number of reps will dictate the weight you use.Some experts would indicate 20-40 reps with lighter weights is good advice. Personally, I use the 15 reps and 1/2 minute rest between sets. Add push up, sit up and pull up exercises and concentrate on high repititions if you still have the energy after a 30 min workout.
Stretch the legs and perform your kicks while laying down ,( thereby taking some weight off the knees), do not lock out the kicks.
Hitting/punching the heavy bag, try for ten 3 minute rounds, will tell you if you need more cardio. If you can last 10, 3-minute rounds, your cardio is more than adequate!! I hit the bag on Tu-TH-Sa and use the above weight program on M-W-F.
For added benefit try to include some kali/escrima drills in your fitness workout.Give it a try and let me know. Good luck.
JB

#135409 - 10/08/04 07:40 AM Re: A QUESTION FOR DR JERRY BEASLEY
Anonymous
Unregistered

Dr Beasley

Thank You. My knees are bad, but not so bad that I can only hit the bag, so could you please recommend a specific walking workout, and I can alternate with your bag hitting recommendation? Thanks.

[This message has been edited by Razwell (edited 10-08-2004).]

#135410 - 10/08/04 09:37 AM Re: A QUESTION FOR DR JERRY BEASLEY
Anonymous
Unregistered

Razwell,
If you can get through the 10 rounds on the bag you need no additional cardio work. In the principle of specificity of exercise you perform tasks that specifically improve your goal task. If your goal is to improve your martial arts you are better off completing routines that supplement the art. Kata is more useful than walking, bag work is more useful than kata, sparring is more useful than bag work. See the progression?
To begin a walking routine, stretch, then begin walking. As you improve include walking up and down inclines, walk backwards, include short sprints, then walk, carry a pack or weights, skip, kick as you walk, punch as you walk, and use your imagination to create sparring like tasks as you walk. You may also use your walking time to state personal affirmations, meditate, or, if you are in a rural environment, recognize the Heavenly beauty. Peace.

#135411 - 10/08/04 11:19 AM Re: A QUESTION FOR DR JERRY BEASLEY
Anonymous
Unregistered

[This message has been edited by Razwell (edited 10-08-2004).]In the begining when this forum started I told everyone that I would have a zero tolerance policy. Ive gave you one warning already. Ive been leaniant and allowed everyone to speek freely, but respectfully. If everyone else can abide by this why should you be so different? Not only have you done it on my forum but other forums as well. Others may choose to tolerate it but I will not. I will delete you. I have nothing better to do than to spend my time ensuring that my domain is serene and respectful of all who come here and I will work to keep it that way. Chen Zen Jeet Kune Do Moderator Fighting Arts.Com

[This message has been edited by Chen Zen (edited 10-08-2004).]

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Cord, JKogas, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Self Defense
Offering stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and other self defense products not available in stores.

Pepper Spray
Online distributor of self defense supplies like videos, stun guns, Tasers and more.

Spy Cameras
Surveillance, Hidden Cameras, Nanny Cams, Digital Recorders, Spy Equipment, Pocket DVR's and more

Stun Gun
Wholesale Directlhy to the Public! Stun gun and Taser Guns and personal protection products. Keep your loved ones at home safe!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga