FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 21 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
mohdnabeel, sunny, swordy, jerrybarry24, SenseiGregT
22915 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
AndyLA 3
futsaowingchun 3
Matakiant 3
kolslaw 1
Bartfast 1
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
New Topics
Tan,Bong,Fuk & Wu Sao
by futsaowingchun
Yesterday at 12:10 AM
Living a full life violence free...
by GojuRyuboy13
09/25/14 08:50 AM
Wing Chun-internal training
by futsaowingchun
09/23/14 09:01 PM
Martial News
by Matakiant
09/23/14 06:42 AM
STX Kickboxing Seminar
by Marcus Charles
09/09/14 06:57 PM
Biu Tzu- 1st section applications
by futsaowingchun
09/05/14 10:56 PM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by
05/13/07 08:02 AM
Eugue Ryu
by
03/27/07 12:06 AM
Recent Posts
Tan,Bong,Fuk & Wu Sao
by futsaowingchun
Yesterday at 12:10 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Victor Smith
09/28/14 07:11 PM
Living a full life violence free...
by GojuRyuboy13
09/25/14 08:50 AM
Wing Chun-internal training
by futsaowingchun
09/23/14 09:01 PM
Martial News
by Matakiant
09/23/14 06:42 AM
attacked from behind
by AndyLA
09/19/14 09:05 AM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
09/18/14 06:07 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by Zombie Zero
09/16/14 04:43 PM
Eugue Ryu
by kolslaw
09/12/14 03:35 PM
Biu Tzu- 1st section applications
by futsaowingchun
09/05/14 10:56 PM
Forum Stats
22915 Members
36 Forums
35579 Topics
432500 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#135357 - 10/05/04 02:16 PM Re: Footwork
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have a question about a technique in which we are taught. It is called a double arm block and is used when some tries to give you a roundhouse. As the kick comes up you turn towards the kick and stike the opponents shins with both of your forearms as soon as you hit his shins you lunge forward and begin to double blast.
Now in our system we condition our forearms and shins extensively to be able to take the impact. When you really whip your leg towards and hit the forearms or elbow area it really hurts the shin and creates a huge opening. I have never tested this in the street and I am curious as to how effective this would be. ANy thoughts??
I know MT will have fun with this one [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/wink.gif[/IMG]

#135358 - 10/05/04 05:29 PM Re: Footwork
MuayThai Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: UK
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Lethal Striker:
Now in our system we condition our forearms and shins extensively to be able to take the impact. When you really whip your leg towards and hit the forearms or elbow area it really hurts the shin and creates a huge opening. I have never tested this in the street and I am curious as to how effective this would be. ANy thoughts??[/QUOTE]

mate I know this. Its a difficult one to do (blocking a kick using your elbows) requires timing and a good sense of it! the technique can be seen on www.muaythai.com

I think with proper timing (which can only be developed through sparring) then why not. I dont do it, I'd rather bring my arm in close to my body, like to defend against a body punch but move with the kick and with the other hand try and lock the opponents kick into my arm but twist my torso in the same direction so he will then be side turned to me, actually a little more than side turned, he will be basicly showing me his back.... well you know what can be done from there. Or simply catch his leg and go for a takedown or knee strike.

its up to you but I am beginning to notice that with fighting there is only so many ways to do teh same thing.

#135359 - 10/05/04 07:26 PM Re: Footwork
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi Guys

I'll have to agree that Thai foot work is among the most effective....there is a definite "no nonsense" approach in the foot work...

I also like the evasive nature of Arnis/Escrima/Kali foot work...the triangular movement is fantastic at long and short range......

In the system that I study (more of a "street smart" system).... we merge these types of footwork....The Stance accompanies the change...if we are at kick range...an open muay Thai stance is employed....if we are at punch range...a boxing stance is employed (slightly deeper, hands held closer to the head for cover and the back heal off the ground) and at close range...we are at a Thai grapple (sometimes on the tips of our toes with hips thrust forward).......at this range we would look for a takedown/shoot....and at ground level we extend into BJJ...

In a multiple attacker situation.....once again a combination of Arnis/Escrima/Kali and Aikido evasive footwork......(with varying techniques).....

I've had an opportunity of being exposed to different methods of footwork from many different systems......my opinion is that no system has the "correct" footwork........all of the systems together do.....

The Wolf

#135360 - 10/05/04 08:06 PM Re: Footwork
Anonymous
Unregistered

[QUOTE]Originally posted by MuayThai:

From a fighting point of view, disregard I train in Muay Thai and look at it this way... if you want to remove the power from your attackers attack then you move WITH the attack. There are tapping drills. Two of you stand, one slaps you shoulder and you side step in teh direction of his slap, i.e. he slaps your left shoulder so you side step to teh right and also immediately slap his left shoulder as you side step. This will develop your counter evasion reflex.

With kicking its important to block using your shin or move with the kick, catching a kick require sthat you also move with the kick or risk a bruised or broken rib in the process of cacthing a hard kick. To close the distance, there seems to be different ways to do this, teh way we are taught is to close in a diagonal line also miving in the direction of the kick. Footwork is important, the first drill will help to develop your reflex and footwork timing, try to stay relaxed and dont alwasy slap in a patterned manner, i.e. when you slap your partner dont hit him 1 time left 1 time right but mix the pattern up so its never a set pattern, understand.

You want to develop footwork which will help to dispell power from yoru attackers attack, Jkogas mentions about riding punches, flowing with punches is a great way, but again, you must alwasy remember never to stick with the method as a "smart" fighter will pick up on that very quickly and then use this to his advantage.

just my cents worth.
[/QUOTE]

This has been the most helpful part of this entire thred, I thank you for your insight. I have been practicing with friends (on ein Tae Kwon Do, and one in Karate) after training with another universal fighter for the past few days, trying to mix up what you guys were saying, and still got whomped. But thats ok because, I had never thaught about traveling with the kick to lesson the blow, this will suly help in my next spar. Thank you all (who posted to help, not just to bash).

~Brad~

#135361 - 10/20/04 02:55 PM Re: Footwork
Anonymous
Unregistered

While most of these defences against round kicks, are work, a simple thing to do(though it requires some practice to develope the
timing necessary)is simply catch their leg then step in and sweep out their other leg and slam them down.
It takes experience but it works.

#135362 - 10/20/04 03:01 PM Re: Footwork
Anonymous
Unregistered

I just remembered a counter to that would be to underhook the arm they use to catch your leg, then grab their heaD WITH YOUR OTHER ARM ANDC TWIST THEM TO THE GROUND.

#135363 - 10/28/04 10:24 PM Re: Footwork
Anonymous
Unregistered

Mark Hill is completly correct! A proper muay thai kick is nearly impossible to dodge/block, and they are very powerful that if you took one full force, you are going to be in tremendous pain.

My muay thai master was the student of the best muay thai fighter, so famous that he was characterized in streetfighter. My master was undefeated and champion in the Oceana reigion. When he kicks, there is no way that you can effectively punch him. There is no way to get out of the way in time; it looks like a blur he is so fast. The power and force coming from one of his kicks would most likely break a bone and do some serious damage.

I would like to see you dodge, block, or counter that. Even though Jeet Kune Do is the art of the intercepting fist, Bruce Lee stressed adaptability, and you are going to have to adapt and do something other than intercept an attack in some situations.

Open your mind to other people's thoughts. Sometimes they are right as Mark Hill is right on this matter.

[This message has been edited by Zatuichi (edited 10-28-2004).]

#135364 - 10/29/04 06:29 PM Re: Footwork
MuayThai Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: UK
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Zatuichi:
Mark Hill is completly correct! A proper muay thai kick is nearly impossible to dodge/block, and they are very powerful that if you took one full force, you are going to be in tremendous pain.

My muay thai master was the student of the best muay thai fighter, so famous that he was characterized in streetfighter. My master was undefeated and champion in the Oceana reigion. When he kicks, there is no way that you can effectively punch him. There is no way to get out of the way in time; it looks like a blur he is so fast. The power and force coming from one of his kicks would most likely break a bone and do some serious damage.

I would like to see you dodge, block, or counter that. Even though Jeet Kune Do is the art of the intercepting fist, Bruce Lee stressed adaptability, and you are going to have to adapt and do something other than intercept an attack in some situations.

Open your mind to other people's thoughts. Sometimes they are right as Mark Hill is right on this matter.

[This message has been edited by Zatuichi (edited 10-28-2004).]
[/QUOTE]

Sagat Petchyindee,

300+ fights. Pretty amazing in his time, more ferocious than Ramon Dekkers. I dont think there are many fighters in the world today that equal this mans ferocity and thats in MMA and Muay Thai!!

#135365 - 11/03/04 04:59 PM Re: Footwork
Anonymous
Unregistered

[QUOTE]Originally posted by MuayThai:

Sagat Petchyindee,

300+ fights. Pretty amazing in his time, more ferocious than Ramon Dekkers. I dont think there are many fighters in the world today that equal this mans ferocity and thats in MMA and Muay Thai!!
[/QUOTE]

Thats the man, i forgot his name. Thanks for reminding me! You got to be a mad man to do that shizite. Mabey bruce lee could have matched his accomplishments if he did not follow his movie career and stuck to fighting.

Fight Well My Friends

#135366 - 11/11/04 09:27 PM Re: Footwork
Anonymous
Unregistered

The roundhouse is actually very easy to counter and defend against. This new group of boxing influenced martial artists seem to be hiding behind their arms, instead of using actual focused blocking techniques to set up an opening for counterattack. Everyone is just too used to the round kick sneaking up behind their left-lead stance. My forearms are plenty tough enough to stop a round kick, but for all you that haven't heard of dit da jow, just use a rushing right-lead straight line attack and you can usually close enough distance to null the kick and get the stop-hit, plus you can still keep your left up to shield from the kick. Personally, I usually just break into the arc of the kick and lock an eagle's claw onto their larnyx while sweeping the other leg. Either that, or I simply sidekick their shin on the way up, stopping it all together. It takes some practice, but works consistantly once mastered.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Cord, JKogas, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Fight Videos
Night club fight footage and street fights captured with the world's first bouncer spy cam

How to Matrix!
Learn ten times faster with new training method. Learn entire arts for as little as $10 per disk.

Self Defense
Stun guns, pepper spray, Mace and self defense products. Alarms for personal and home use.

TASER MC26C
Stop An Urban Gorilla: Get 2 FREE TASER M26C Replacement Air Cartridges With Each New TASER M26C!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga