FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 37 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
LeroyCFischer, JadeKing, Beefcake, WesJones, simonajones111
22933 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
charlie 2
futsaowingchun 2
Zombie Zero 1
harlan 1
Matakiant 1
November
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
New Topics
unrecognized kata
by William_Bent
11/19/14 07:05 PM
I gained a lot of month in the last few months
by simonajones111
11/19/14 04:54 AM
Siu Lin Tao-3rd section applications
by futsaowingchun
11/13/14 06:48 PM
Screen fighting course UK December 2014
by charlie
11/11/14 04:09 PM
Siu Lin Tao-1st section Pak Sao explanations
by futsaowingchun
11/09/14 10:30 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
MA style video library
by
03/22/06 03:18 PM
Recent Posts
unrecognized kata
by William_Bent
11/19/14 07:05 PM
I gained a lot of month in the last few months
by simonajones111
11/19/14 04:54 AM
Siu Lin Tao-3rd section applications
by futsaowingchun
11/13/14 06:48 PM
Screen fighting course UK December 2014
by charlie
11/11/14 04:09 PM
MA style video library
by charlie
11/11/14 04:05 PM
Siu Lin Tao-1st section Pak Sao explanations
by futsaowingchun
11/09/14 10:30 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/29/14 10:01 PM
Forum Stats
22933 Members
36 Forums
35589 Topics
432521 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#135337 - 09/30/04 10:17 PM Footwork
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have accomplished much through self-taught martial arts, and sparring with friends, "friends" and "not so friendly" people, but my footwork is still lacking. So, if anyone could give me some pointers on extra drills to through into the mix, I will be more than happy to try them out. (I was just whomped by a friend today)My friend fought a superb kicking style and after my 10th consecutive stop-kick I started loosing balance. This is where she, yes she, took care of me. Seriously, any pointers would help.

Humbly I thank any replyers
~Brad~

#135338 - 10/01/04 07:26 AM Re: Footwork
Anonymous
Unregistered

Train under an instructor.

#135339 - 10/01/04 04:28 PM Re: Footwork
otobeawanker Offline

Loc: CANADA
Aye under an instructer is preferable.

If you have a good understanding of body mechanics, pysics, and some professional training. You can self teach rather well. Perfect technique should always be product number one.

Sparring like your doing is the key. I spar with plenty of different friends/martial artists in my spare room. If you spar the same person long enough you will adapt to their techniques, and vice versa. This is good for developing as a fighter. It forces you to adapt, expand and evolve. Keep it up.

As far as your footwork is concerned. Are you looking for kicks, or defensive techniques?

As far as kicks go, there is really only two I use in sparring. Push kick and Thai kick. They are simple, reliable and effective.

As far as taking hits. If they are throwing the Thai kick at you. The best thing to do is wear them. Cause the Thai kicks motions make it very difficult to dodge. And dropping your arm away from your head to block, is something I dont do. I have been taught to never sacrifice head protection to protect any other part of the body. If you just take enough of your friends kicks to the body, your body will adapt. So I wouldn't worry about it. Just after you do take a beating from your friend, you rest and replenish a day after.

"When someone first showed up they were a wad of cookie dough. After a few weeks they were carved out of wood"

Fight Club

#135340 - 10/01/04 08:57 PM Re: Footwork
Anonymous
Unregistered

[QUOTE]Originally posted by otobeawanker:
As far as taking hits. If they are throwing the Thai kick at you. The best thing to do is wear them.[/QUOTE]

I don't think you have been kicked hard enough.

#135341 - 10/02/04 07:53 AM Re: Footwork
JKogas Offline
Prolific

Loc: North Carolina
The best counter for the Thai kick is to step inside the arc of the kick and throw a straight right. It's amazing how often that one works.

-John

#135342 - 10/02/04 02:43 PM Re: Footwork
Anonymous
Unregistered

ummm....
I think you will find that to be completely fair...
Technicaly the best responce to a thai kick would be move into the arc... If you think about it, it's more pheasable/practical to do this because its quick and easy... Also there will be far less force the closer into the arc you get...
It also gives you an opertunity to strike, although that could prove kinda intresting to be fair...

Jvr

#135343 - 10/02/04 07:30 PM Re: Footwork
Anonymous
Unregistered

What about a groin kick John? Counterkicking their kicking leg or pivoting leg?

I have a friend who was in Kyokushin tourney, and broke someone's leg with this technique [pivoting leg].

#135344 - 10/02/04 08:54 PM Re: Footwork
JKogas Offline
Prolific

Loc: North Carolina
A counter kick (cut kick) is ok. But to hit the groin? You'd almost have to do this with the toe of the shoe as with a savate kick. That would have to be an extremely precise attack. Wouldn't it be better to just try and cut kick the inner thigh itself as it's usually done?

But, wouldn't it even be better than THAT to keep both feet firmly planted on the ground and fire the hands? I think so.

-John

#135345 - 10/02/04 10:55 PM Re: Footwork
Anonymous
Unregistered

Oh, and you don't need timing for the shin check? And trying to intercept them, at the risk of taking a shot to the thigh.

Get real.

#135346 - 10/03/04 06:43 AM Re: Footwork
MuayThai Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: UK
The best counter for a thai kick is to block it with your shin and immediately kick back before his foot has landed. Watch any Muay Thai fight, a rear leg kick by fighter A is blocked by a left shin block from fighter B and as soon as the block is over fighter B counters with a hard low or mid kick.

You can come into his arc but you do not walk in straight, why? Because it doesnt take much to turn a Thai kick into a knee kick... understand? Unless of course no one knows this technique then no worries, but just for the record, its an easy technique and is used to attack when your opponent closes your kicking distance.

The best way to cut an arc is not to come in straight, example: I kick a rear leg you then move in a diagonal line to my left side, not straight... if you come in straight with your hands up to start boxing your are getting a hard knee kick to your side... it happens, study fights, and it will slow you down or stop you.

If you move in a diagonal line you will take away my ability to knee kick you and also remove the power from my kick, from there you can punch or go into clinch.

Try it on a heavy bag, stand in range of the bag, now kick it, now shorten the distance so the bag is inside your kicking range, now kick it but strike with your knee! how simple is that and watch the bag swing... get it?

*I forgot to mention this does require decent felxabilty*

If I kick you, rear leg kick, you can throw a hard rear leg "teep" (push kick) to my torso, knocks me off my feet, or you can goi for a catch... if you take the catch option remember to move with the kick, no good catching a kick only to find yourself gasping for air cos its just knocked the wind out of you....

...as I have always said, you gotta train Muay Thai to know hwo to defend agaisnt Muay Thai. There are many effective and very simple counters and evasions to kicks etc.

[This message has been edited by MuayThai (edited 10-03-2004).]

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Cord, JKogas, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Ryukyu Art
Artifacts from the Ryukyu Kingdom missing since WWII. Visit www.ShisaLion.Org to view pictures

Best Stun Guns
Self Defense Products-stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and more

Surveillance 4U
Complete surveillance systems for covert operations or secure installation security

Asylum Images
Book presents photo tour of the Trans-Allegany Lunatic Asylum. A must if you're going to take a ghost tour!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga