FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 154 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Thomas_Kungfu, traa1, JohnRay50, nogibjjgear, Jrogers001
23250 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Thomas_Kungfu 1
traa1 1
June
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
New Topics
Recent Posts
Forum Stats
23250 Members
36 Forums
35704 Topics
432774 Posts

Max Online: 488 @ 01/23/20 01:55 PM
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#135147 - 04/01/05 05:12 PM Re: Savate's low leg attack as described in Tao of JKD
Anonymous
Unregistered

This a great kick to grab someones attention. it is fast and usually unseen from the front leg. Used to attack the shin bone. If you have ever been kicked there it hurts... This kick when used like this will give enough distraction to open opponent up for other methods of attack. This kick is also used to attack to the knee cap, right where the cap meets the shin.

I was taught this kick and enjoy using it in fighting.

#135148 - 04/02/05 12:28 AM Re: Savate's low leg attack as described in Tao of JKD
Chen Zen Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Ms
But what real benefit does it have over a roundhouse fron or side kick? What makes it a better, or more productive option? Other than fixing something that isnt broken, it doesnt seem like it offers anything that isnt already covered quite effectively.

#135149 - 04/04/05 06:17 AM Re: Savate's low leg attack as described in Tao of JKD
Anonymous
Unregistered

Well the directness and speed of the move itself... At least I think.

I find it quite usefull. I don't use it for power or to break something. But for distraction and harrasing. :-p

If you close in on your opponent and he wants to swing and you see it. You use the kick to distract him. (and you dodge his attack because ur leaning back. Often seen in Gung Fu movies).

If you watch Si Gung Lee's movies you can see he almost every time uses it for distraction or putting the opponent off balance.

But still, if the technique isn't working for YOU... Then discard it. That's the philosophy of JKD.

Grtz Randy

#135150 - 04/05/05 02:32 PM Re: Savate's low leg attack as described in Tao of JKD
Anonymous
Unregistered

you have to understand the rules of savate, no kicking with shins, only with the foot, thats why the kick is the way it is. i personly would not kick like that.

#135151 - 04/05/05 08:00 PM Re: Savate's low leg attack as described in Tao of JKD
Anonymous
Unregistered

I actually used that kick (the oblique kick) in my last sparring round with great effect. The problem is probably that you are not understanding the purpose of the kick. It basically has no range, from either leg, and if you are having trouble with an opponent exploiting you during the kick, you simply aren't doing it fast enough. This kick is great from trapping range, and can also used with an opponent who has indeed stepped in too close as a stopping hit. I found it extremely effective close in with my rear leg to the opponents knee, followed by a lead jab or backfist. They key to using the kick is developing the speed, and following up with other attacks.

#135152 - 04/08/05 11:42 AM Re: Savate's low leg attack as described in Tao of JKD
Chen Zen Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Ms
Its decent for rushing in with while going high with the fists, and every now and then as a stop hit.

I see its merit as a technique, for others. Personally, I prefer a knee stomp or a shin scrape. As for stop hitting the kick, Id rather let the opponent fire it off.

Few reasons, first being that a solid punch is more effective. Also, since Ive been doing more grappling, Id rather dodge and trap you up and put you on the ground hard. Its easy if the opponent is already off balnce for you.

#135153 - 04/08/05 03:53 PM Re: Savate's low leg attack as described in Tao of JKD
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thinking about, one reason this technique works well for me might be my height. My long legs allow a little bit more range, and more whip for power. No idea how effective this one is for the shorter crowd, except that my 5'10 instructor can really make the shins sting with this one.

#135154 - 05/04/05 06:40 AM Re: Savate's low leg attack as described in Tao of JKD [Re: Chen Zen]
Dauragon c mikado Offline

Loc: Oxford, England
i know the kick your talking about. i find it effective for stopping low kicks, intercepting when the opponent advances or doing something neat like doing the savate kick then pivoting into a roundhouse. the tao, great book learned alot from it.

#135155 - 05/05/05 12:57 AM Re: Savate's low leg attack as described in Tao of JKD [Re: Chen Zen]
sjd Offline
Stranger

the kick u are referring must be used in conjunction with the strike coming towards u and in perfect timing.
it is quite obvious that u cannot use the kick when someone does a round house kick. that low kick is purposely aimed to literally stop the opponent before he/she delivers the strike/kick. It is purposely aimed down at the knee cap before its being lifted up. before an opponent/offender executes a roundhouse you can stop him during that time not when its in the air. And most round house kicks will need to take a moment just before it can be executed. Such as the offender needs to step back, lift his leg up and then executes. If he/she does step back and turns to deliver a round house kick, you kick him/her in the butt with effectiveness.

#135156 - 05/05/05 08:50 AM Re: Savate's low leg attack as described in Tao of JKD [Re: sjd]
Neonomide Offline

Loc: Finland
Sorry for asking, but is this the low kick technique that Lee does repeatedly in Way of the Dragon against Chuck Norris? Not that I know more than you do, but Lee seemed to use it at least for maiming.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Cord, JKogas, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Stun Guns
Variety of stun gun devices for your protection

Buy Pepper Spray
Worry about your family when you’re not around? Visit us today to protect everything you value.

Koryu.com
Accurate information on the ancient martial traditions of the Japanese samurai

C2 Taser
Protect yourself and loved ones from CRIME with the latest C2 Taser citizen model. Very effective.

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga