FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 154 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Thomas_Kungfu, traa1, JohnRay50, nogibjjgear, Jrogers001
23250 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Thomas_Kungfu 1
traa1 1
June
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
New Topics
Recent Posts
Forum Stats
23250 Members
36 Forums
35704 Topics
432774 Posts

Max Online: 488 @ 01/23/20 01:55 PM
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#135137 - 08/21/04 12:33 AM Savate's low leg attack as described in Tao of JKD
Chen Zen Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Ms
Ive been away for the past six days on a trip to for a match. Lately I have been practicing the kick in the topic and doubting its effectiveness. I went on to the match and used the technique a few times. I found that, at least for me, that its a completely useless technique. Heres why: When thrown from the rear leg it has power, but its telegraphed. When it comes from the lead leg it has speed but very little power. And the biggest reason to ditch this technique: Balance. When executed, the practitionerleans backwards, so as to attack almost in an upwards motion. However when you try to do this, your center of balance is off making it easy to trip, shove or rush and tackle. Also it leaves the groin wide open. Try performing the attack and guarding the groin at the same time; your arm isnt long enough to adequately guard from a hard kick. Another technique dropped from the curriculum.

#135138 - 08/21/04 01:33 AM Re: Savate's low leg attack as described in Tao of JKD
Anonymous
Unregistered

Im not exactly sure, but are you talking about low roundhouse, leg attacks?

If so, then I was just thinking about how effective this was tonight. Well, actually it was more thinking that it is very effective and that I should train to use it more often. Heres what sparked my thought earlier.

A K-1 match between Bob Sapp and Ernesto Houst(sp). If you know anything about K-1 at all, then you know who Bob Sapp is. Ernesto Houst is probably half the size of Bob Sapp, and was able to render Sapp's front leg useless. I say useless in every sense of the word; Sapp had to be
carried off after the fight (literally). Granted, the fight was called in Sapps favor because his barrage of super-human strength punches left Houst standing, but un-aware of his location.

Anyway, the point is that the kicks are useful. If you saw that fight and watched Bob Sapp beingcarried out of the ring, I think you’d have to agree.

Here's a pic of the two fighting. You can see that Sapp is so worried about getting hit in one of his ribs that he's allowing the head shots. The reason his rib was broken was because he was worried about his damaged front left leg and cought an excellent body shot. http://ko.sherdog.com/viewpics.cfm?pic=/pictures/k1_120702/Hoost%20Sapp.jpg

#135139 - 08/21/04 07:28 AM Re: Savate's low leg attack as described in Tao of JKD
DragonFire1134 Offline
Former Moderator

Loc: Theodore (mobile), Alabama
[QUOTE]Originally posted by OklahomasGreg:

If so, then I was just thinking about how effective this was tonight. Well, actually it was more thinking that it is very effective and that I should train to use it more often. Heres what sparked my thought earlier.

A K-1 match between Bob Sapp and Ernesto Houst(sp). If you know anything about K-1 at all, then you know who Bob Sapp is. Ernesto Houst is probably half the size of Bob Sapp, and was able to render Sapp's front leg useless. I say useless in every sense of the word; Sapp had to be
carried off after the fight (literally). Granted, the fight was called in Sapps favor because his barrage of super-human strength punches left Houst standing, but un-aware of his location.

Anyway, the point is that the kicks are useful. If you saw that fight and watched Bob Sapp beingcarried out of the ring, I think you’d have to agree.

Here's a pic of the two fighting. You can see that Sapp is so worried about getting hit in one of his ribs that he's allowing the head shots. The reason his rib was broken was because he was worried about his damaged front left leg and cought an excellent body shot. http://ko.sherdog.com/viewpics.cfm?pic=/pictures/k1_120702/Hoost%20Sapp.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Yes I seen that match. I enjoyed it, but i'm a little biased since I always root for the little man! Houst actualy isn't that little, just in contrast to the Beast! To me Sapp is a terrible fighter! He is more just a brawler much like Tyson was, except Sapp would tire out quickly...you could see him huffing and puffing big time! The low line kick worked perfectly in that situation, but there is a time a place for that sort of thing, you know.

#135140 - 08/21/04 06:34 PM Re: Savate's low leg attack as described in Tao of JKD
Chen Zen Offline
Professional Poster

[QUOTE]Originally posted by OklahomasGreg:
[/QUOTE]

This wasnt what I was reffering to. I often use low roundhouse attacks. The kick I was reffering to was the one on page 78 in the Tao of Jeet Kune Do. If you have the book you can clearly see that the attackers balance is off and also that his guard is poor. Also the footwork is limited when committed to this attack. Its more like a low thrust kick but at a curved angle. When performed the attacker leans back and shoots the leg forward, usually the rear leg, and his foot faces the outside of his body. Leaving very much to be desired in defense.

#135141 - 08/22/04 06:44 AM Re: Savate's low leg attack as described in Tao of JKD
Tom2199 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: England
yeah i see what you mean, it would have to be executed pretty quickly too - i dont think it would be very effective for me to use in a real life situation unless it was very low

#135142 - 09/08/04 03:36 PM Re: Savate's low leg attack as described in Tao of JKD
Anonymous
Unregistered

In the lead leg version (if this is the kick I'm thinking of)your power comes from using the kick as a stop kick, using your opponents
forward motion against him.
In the rear leg version you just have to get real close and be very careful.
I have used these kicks(especialy the lead leg version)very effectively during sparring though never in a real fight(Idon't get in many fights).

#135143 - 09/25/04 01:55 AM Re: Savate's low leg attack as described in Tao of JKD
Chen Zen Offline
Professional Poster

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Stormdragon:
In the lead leg version (if this is the kick I'm thinking of)your power comes from using the kick as a stop kick, using your opponents
forward motion against him.
In the rear leg version you just have to get real close and be very careful.
I have used these kicks(especialy the lead leg version)very effectively during sparring though never in a real fight(Idon't get in many fights).
[/QUOTE]

I have since developed a singular use for it, but its only been used in sparring. Its a stop hit technique. I dont use many of them at a low level, instead relying on footwork and striking.

#135144 - 03/28/05 12:55 PM Re: Savate's low leg attack as described in Tao of JKD
Anonymous
Unregistered

i would agree this kick is called an oblique kick usually an i would try using the lead leg version for a stop kick but i disagree on the rear leg version argument, its very effective if your in close an you commite to the moveent. the filipino's call this kick sipa and its used primarily for breaking the knee or shin bone. try this modification use it in close with commitment or use it when in trapping or grappling range.

#135145 - 03/30/05 12:07 AM Re: Savate's low leg attack as described in Tao of JKD
Anonymous
Unregistered

The rear leg kick is the most used kick in MMA matches. It's not a defensive kick. It's used to punish your opponents legs or body.

#135146 - 04/01/05 03:58 PM Re: Savate's low leg attack as described in Tao of JKD
Anonymous
Unregistered

Wing Chun has a kick like this. Its done with an upright structure in close range, usually after contact has been made. Main target knee.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Cord, JKogas, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Self Defense
Offering stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and other self defense products not available in stores.

Pepper Spray
Online distributor of self defense supplies like videos, stun guns, Tasers and more.

Spy Cameras
Surveillance, Hidden Cameras, Nanny Cams, Digital Recorders, Spy Equipment, Pocket DVR's and more

Stun Gun
Wholesale Directlhy to the Public! Stun gun and Taser Guns and personal protection products. Keep your loved ones at home safe!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga