FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 34 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
old1, Leonar, ManLar, Vimido, raya
22925 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
futsaowingchun 3
Ronin1966 3
GojuRyuboy13 2
ergees 1
swordy 1
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
New Topics
The Classic Pak Sao drill
by futsaowingchun
10/20/14 10:32 AM
wing chun kicks and knees
by futsaowingchun
10/09/14 12:55 AM
2014 European Championships Juniors: the Gallery
by ergees
10/05/14 10:56 AM
Tan,Bong,Fuk & Wu Sao
by futsaowingchun
09/30/14 12:10 AM
Living a full life violence free...
by GojuRyuboy13
09/25/14 08:50 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Leo's Judo Journal
by Leo_E_49
01/24/12 02:58 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by
05/13/07 08:02 AM
Recent Posts
Living a full life violence free...
by GojuRyuboy13
10/22/14 07:20 AM
The Classic Pak Sao drill
by futsaowingchun
10/20/14 10:32 AM
Leo's Judo Journal
by swordy
10/11/14 09:21 AM
The Karate punch
by Ronin1966
10/09/14 03:16 PM
wing chun kicks and knees
by futsaowingchun
10/09/14 12:55 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Ronin1966
10/08/14 09:22 PM
2014 European Championships Juniors: the Gallery
by ergees
10/05/14 10:56 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by AndyLA
10/04/14 10:20 AM
Tan,Bong,Fuk & Wu Sao
by futsaowingchun
09/30/14 12:10 AM
Forum Stats
22925 Members
36 Forums
35582 Topics
432510 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 9 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Topic Options
#135109 - 10/06/04 09:02 AM Re: JKD? System or Philosophy
Anonymous
Unregistered

JKogas

Why do you value punching more than kicking. I thought you could intercept much better using kicks???

#135110 - 10/06/04 12:04 PM Re: JKD? System or Philosophy
Anonymous
Unregistered

to start off, ive read a lot of crap in this thread from people who don't know what they're talking about.

jeet kune do, the way of the intercepting FIST, not foot. to the post above me.

someone said that bruce lee incorporated tkd, no he didnt. he never really took tkd. he thought it was crap. theres not one kick or punch that only tkd uses that bruce took to make jkd.

and JKD isnt 'what you want it to be' perse. there are certain techniques to it and if you go against those techniques, youre not doing jeet kune do. sorry, youre not. and if you take 4 different types of fighting, like karate, capoiera, tkd, and muay thai or whatever, and mix them together, thats not jkd. thats some really ****ed up style of your own. not saying it wont work, im sure its probably amazing and works but its NOT JEET KUNE DO. jeet kune do has its own punches, kicks, stance, etc. if youre not doing those, then youre not doing jkd. i dont remember seeing bruce lee doing capoeira dance moves while fighting, doing a cartwheel or something. go up to steve golden or someone and tell them how because you took these 4 styles and mixed em together and now you go around telling people you know jkd, he will more than likely laugh at you for being an idiot.

you have to first take jeet kune do, and understand it fully before you can 'add whatever you want to it.' because if you add telegraphical punches, or some stupid hurricane kick or whatever, thats not jeet kune do and youre going directly against it. simple, direct, effective. thats "the formula" of jeet kune do. and if you use for instance, karate punches,thats not jeet kune do. jkd uses a more effective punch, not a sideways fist punch.

bruce closed down his schools because he didnt want people going around using his name to get young students to join up. thats what was happening and so he closed them down. amongst other things which i wont get into. if bruce thought it was 'just a philosophy,' why did he privately teach a handful of people in his own backyard?? if its just a philosophy they coulda read about in a book. so you dont know what youre talking about.

theres much controversy in the jkd world, and its people who make it worse by going around telling people they know all about jkd because they watched enter the dragon 6 times and read the tao of jeet kune do. i mean obviously since you read the 'tao' youre an expert.

so please, if you've never really taken original jkd for atleast a year. dont go around talking like you know all about it. you dont.

#135111 - 10/06/04 02:33 PM Re: JKD? System or Philosophy
Anonymous
Unregistered

Studying JKD as a style with a concrete set of moves and techniques, with set forms, stances and curriculums, is not JKD that's just adding more nonsense. I in no way claim to be an expert or even a practitioner of JKD but I can say with certainty that adding set curriculums and techniques, that everyone should use if they are using JKD is the exact opposite and negates everything Lee intended. This is why the original thread was system or philosophy. How can you take an idea, involving the creation of a fast efficient fighter, and then say that there is only this way to do it? Who's to say what worked for Lee will work for me, what if i have short stumpy legs, and long gangly arms, (I don't) but what if? I would have to use different techniques than someone with gangly legs and short stumpy arms. In order to be an efficient fighter, one must train with what there body can or will do. Some body types are just not capable of doing the things that others can. A short 95 pound girl should not be able to move and lift people like a tall 200 pound man. A slightly overweight man, most likely, will not be able to move around someone like a short spry little guy. Why are so many people insisting that it's all about hand techniques, when you can clearly see hundreds of pictures of Lee kicking people in the knees in every book that has ever been published on JKD? Is it just stubborness, or are some of these people just dense? No offense really meant just venting here. Why do so many people have to be blind to common sense and reality?

#135112 - 10/16/04 05:47 PM Re: JKD? System or Philosophy
JKogas Offline
Prolific

Loc: North Carolina
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Razwell:
JKogas

Why do you value punching more than kicking. I thought you could intercept much better using kicks???
[/QUOTE]

You can intercept very effectively with a lead jab (or even a straight right hand). Timing is the issue. Develop timing/the ability to read your opponents subtle intentions and you're good to go.

This isn't to say that you CAN'T intercept with a kick because you certainly can. I just don't like taking my feet off the floor in real fights.

-John

#135113 - 10/29/04 11:49 PM Re: JKD? System or Philosophy
Anonymous
Unregistered

JKogas...Most of the time i agree with you, but on this instance i think you are wrong. First of all, kicking is good, powerful, and allows you to do more. Just because you lift a leg off the ground doesn't mean you are screwed, you can support your self with your hands.

Also, by teaching JKD as you described, you are destroying it's name. It actually means that you should create your own moves during a fight that adapt to your opponent's attacks and defense. Using different moves from different "styles" is MMA, aka mixed martial arts, and destroys the essence of what Mr. Lee was teaching. Make your own moves, manipulate your opponents attacks, and use all variables(don't just use your hands for one purpose and your legs for another). Freedom of movement, the ability to adapt, the fluidness of water, and expand your knowledge of fighting. This is what JKD is all about. So do the hokey-pokey!

"****in' A"

Good Luck and Fight Well

#135114 - 10/30/04 02:17 PM Re: JKD? System or Philosophy
mcgee Offline

Loc: Lexington,NC USA
For security the ulimitited living is turned into somthing dead,a chosen pattern that limits. To understand Jeet Kune Do, one ought to throw away all ideals, patterns, styles; in fact, he should throw away even the concepts of what is or isn't ideal in Jeet Kune Do. Can you look at a situation without naming it? Naming it, making it a word, causes fear.

-Bruce Lee
Tao of Jeet Kune Do
page 11.

#135115 - 10/30/04 02:29 PM Re: JKD? System or Philosophy
MuayThai Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: UK
[QUOTE]Originally posted by mcgee:
For security the ulimitited living is turned into somthing dead,a chosen pattern that limits. To understand Jeet Kune Do, one ought to throw away all ideals, patterns, styles; in fact, he should throw away even the concepts of what is or isn't ideal in Jeet Kune Do. Can you look at a situation without naming it? Naming it, making it a word, causes fear.

-Bruce Lee
Tao of Jeet Kune Do
page 11.
[/QUOTE]

why didnt he just speak bloody english like anyone else.

Just say "if its crap dont use it"

I mean, ok, he was eccentric and all but holy bejeezus, like the man has to make everything out in riddles and wierd philosophical mumbo jumbo!

if it doesnt work then dont use it - jeet kune do summed up in 8 words.

And anyway, even if he wanted to make it sound all mystical and stuff by rearranging those 8 words into a book... it still was not a new concept! lol.

I just dont get Bruce Lee and to be honest I personally believe he was nuts! Maybe he was a little too full of himself, what he really needed to do was take his philosophy and his invincibility to Thailand and challenge them there. I reckon, just as all other stand up styles had been in those years, he would have been carried out of the ring using his rules or not.

no disrespect to all you who really idolise this man or really feel he was extraordinary.... I had to get it out.

#135116 - 10/30/04 03:16 PM Re: JKD? System or Philosophy
mcgee Offline

Loc: Lexington,NC USA
Yea, I really feel the same way. Thatís all that Zen and Taoism talking. I happen to be a Zen Christen and can tell you thatís exactly how they talk/write.

It just seems that so many people don't get it. I thought maybe Using his words may help, probably not.

JKD IS NOT A STYLE. Sorry to yell but Iím frustrated. No technique is JKD, No group of techniques are JKD, No style is JKD.

What Bruce did (his techniques) was Jun Fan
thatís what he called it. JKD was the philosophy he used to develop that, it was on going, never ending, Techniques came and techniques went. When something was found to work better and in most cases was simpler that was added and the other faded away THATS JKD!

If Bruce could see he's original students still doing pretty much what he was doing this many years later he would flip out.

Page 9 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderator:  Cord, JKogas, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Fight Videos
Night club fight footage and street fights captured with the world's first bouncer spy cam

How to Matrix!
Learn ten times faster with new training method. Learn entire arts for as little as $10 per disk.

Self Defense
Stun guns, pepper spray, Mace and self defense products. Alarms for personal and home use.

TASER MC26C
Stop An Urban Gorilla: Get 2 FREE TASER M26C Replacement Air Cartridges With Each New TASER M26C!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga