FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 29 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
TomRosenberg, jessylin, play, Keith_G, LeroyCFischer
22937 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
jwwmantis 2
Zombie Zero 1
harlan 1
Beefcake 1
LeroyCFischer 1
December
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31
New Topics
Freeing Hand-Wing Chun's last movements
by futsaowingchun
Yesterday at 09:40 PM
2015 Master Yang Jwing-Ming Seminar
by jwwmantis
12/05/14 10:36 PM
unrecognized kata
by William_Bent
11/19/14 07:05 PM
I gained a lot of month in the last few months
by simonajones111
11/19/14 04:54 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
The Beginners Guide To Stretching
by
12/27/06 11:43 AM
Your true goal
by
03/03/06 07:16 AM
Recent Posts
Freeing Hand-Wing Chun's last movements
by futsaowingchun
Yesterday at 09:40 PM
Your true goal
by Beefcake
12/11/14 02:44 AM
The Beginners Guide To Stretching
by LeroyCFischer
12/04/14 02:07 AM
unrecognized kata
by William_Bent
11/19/14 07:05 PM
I gained a lot of month in the last few months
by simonajones111
11/19/14 04:54 AM
Forum Stats
22937 Members
36 Forums
35591 Topics
432526 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#134642 - 03/15/05 05:26 PM Dancing for footwork/balance?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I'm a Thai boxer, and a JKD practitioner for close to a year now, and am planning on exploring the many areas that the Martial Arts world have to offer. And while participating in a manditory, school "fun" day of foreign language week, we learned the basics of Salsa dancing. Halfway through, I began to realize how what I was doing was close to exactly a slow motion version of Muhammed Ali's infamous "Rope-a-dope." Which got me thinking...

Is there a specific type of dance anyone has heard about being really good for footwork and/or balance for practical use in the MA? I've often heard of football players taken ballet to improve on balance...but we all know that football isn't technically a MA...if anyone has any advice or a link to any other information concerning my question, that would help me out immensly.

-Thanks

-Kagemusha-

#134643 - 03/16/05 06:49 AM Re: Dancing for footwork/balance?
JohnL Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: NY, NY, USA
If your salsa reminds you of Ali's Rope-a dope," you definately need to work on your Salsa.

JohnL

#134644 - 03/16/05 07:33 AM Re: Dancing for footwork/balance?
Yoseikan Student Offline
Veteran

Loc: UK
When I salsa I lean back as far as I can, I put my chin on my chest, I tuck up and lock down my guard. Elbows in to the body, hands along the jaw line, I flick out the occassional left hand and say:

"Is that all you got george?, they told me you could hit hard.....is that all you got?".

So I completely sympathise.

[IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/wink.gif[/IMG]

Alec

sorry!

#134645 - 03/16/05 12:33 PM Re: Dancing for footwork/balance?
Anonymous
Unregistered

one thing ive noticed about dancers, they can never keep their center low...they rise all the time when they put out technique, especially kicks...just another observation...but it definitely helps with balance...break dancers would make nasty fighters (i would think so)

#134646 - 03/16/05 11:18 PM Re: Dancing for footwork/balance?
Anonymous
Unregistered

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Kitoshakai Ed:
one thing ive noticed about dancers, they can never keep their center low...they rise all the time when they put out technique, especially kicks...just another observation...but it definitely helps with balance...break dancers would make nasty fighters (i would think so)[/QUOTE]

I so agree with breakdancers. My bro been doing breakdancing for like 3 years now the things he can do like 1 handed handstand spins and flares and all these toehr cool moves takes alot of strength and balance.

#134647 - 03/17/05 11:32 AM Re: Dancing for footwork/balance?
Anonymous
Unregistered

There is a dance MA, I believe from South America called something like Cloperta (?) I am sure I misspelled that. But as I understand it they hid their MA inside the moves of the dance.

SteveB

#134648 - 03/17/05 03:39 PM Re: Dancing for footwork/balance?
Anonymous
Unregistered

^^Oh, Capoeira. Yeah, it's a Brazilian MA disguised as a dance. Yeah I know all about that, I love that stuff. I'm planning on becoming a practioner of Capoeira as soon as I can find a place to practice it, and as soon as I get all done with school. Because it takes a very long time to become any good at it, I know people who have done it for 10 years, and are still getting the hang of it.

Thanks for the help everyone, keep it up!

#134649 - 03/20/05 10:26 PM Re: Dancing for footwork/balance?
Anonymous
Unregistered

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Squiggle:
I so agree with breakdancers. My bro been doing breakdancing for like 3 years now the things he can do like 1 handed handstand spins and flares and all these toehr cool moves takes alot of strength and balance.[/QUOTE]

I'm a bboy (breakdancer) and an MA enthusist (beginner). I dunno if breakin helps or not, unless I could flare and kick the guy with it, lol. Breakin might help a little with balance, cause we do things like support all our weight on our wrists, or 1 handed handstands, etc. etc.
It also might help us take shots better, since, at least for me, we tend to fall a lot and toughen up our bodies through repeated attempts and odd, but sweet looking positions. If anyone has seen someone breakin and said to themselves, "that's gotta hurt, how did he do that?" well,it probably did at first, but you get used to it.

As far as Capoiera, I think it's more similar to breakin than MA, or it's a really fancy MA, because theyjump around a lot, do lots of flips and high kicking motions, and I don't think I've ever seen a video of them punching, but I'm no expert on the subject.

Yes, you heard correct, you have a breakdancing Martial Artist on the forum!! The double threat!

[This message has been edited by UofM Shorin Ryu (edited 03-20-2005).]

#134650 - 03/20/05 10:39 PM Re: Dancing for footwork/balance?
Anonymous
Unregistered

on second thought, I'm probably a lot stronger than I used to be since I started breakin, I KNOW my balance has improved, and I'm probably better at knowing body location and coordination because of it. Just haven't had any sort of test to prove any of this.

The funny thing is that I can spin on one hand, spin on my knees, hold sweet but difficult looking body positions (freezes/stalls), and all sorts of crazy footwork, but it still doesn't stop me from tripping when I walk, or going up or down stairs.

There's something seriously wrong with a breaker/ Martial Artist who's a clutz, clumsy, and trips walking on flat pavement......

#134651 - 03/21/05 05:27 PM Re: Dancing for footwork/balance?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Ok, I'm not really sure but...

In some asian land MA wernt allowed and the people wanted to get free st they snuck MA into the dancing and trained like that, eventially overthrowing the evil ruler dudes.

So it might be a basis in fact, but it might help... depending on your size and MA.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Cord, MattJ, Reiki, tkd_high_green 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Stun Guns
Variety of stun gun devices for your protection

Buy Pepper Spray
Worry about your family when you’re not around? Visit us today to protect everything you value.

Koryu.com
Accurate information on the ancient martial traditions of the Japanese samurai

C2 Taser
Protect yourself and loved ones from CRIME with the latest C2 Taser citizen model. Very effective.

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga