FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 52 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Shanktotheright, royal, bobgalle100011, agenonline, TooNice
22862 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Dobbersky 3
MattJ 2
Jeff_G 1
Marcus Charles 1
TooNice 1
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30
New Topics
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by Marcus Charles
03/24/14 04:39 PM
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by Dobbersky
03/20/14 05:45 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
AKK kata question
by
09/04/05 01:27 PM
Recent Posts
AKK kata question
by MattJ
04/04/14 05:45 PM
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by Jeff_G
03/30/14 12:44 AM
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by Marcus Charles
03/24/14 04:39 PM
Forum Stats
22862 Members
36 Forums
35546 Topics
432375 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Topic Options
#133353 - 05/29/04 11:34 PM Compete or No?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hmmm? There is an upcoming BJJ tournet (Gi only) late June. The division I would be in is seniors 41+, beginner, (less than 12 months)

Ok..I've had about 12 lessons total, mostly no Gi.
My instructor has said that often times you will run into "so called" beginners who have been white belts for more than 2 yrs!..and roll like Purples!

Is it worth my while to compete if this is the case?
I do have yrs of MA training, primarily in ShoToKan and TKD which would hardly come into play..and I have also competed in many tourneys, so I have little "pre-tourney jitters)

I can not for the life of me see how anyone can have honor by staying a white belt, simply to clean up on the REAL 12 month or less beginner?

So whadaya' all think? Compete or is it a waste of time if this is the case? ..and pitfalls here?

#133354 - 05/30/04 04:15 AM Re: Compete or No?
still wadowoman Offline
Improved beefier techno-prat

Loc: Residence:UK- Heart:Md, USA
I think you should compete if that is what you want to do.

If you do your best and lose, learn from it and do better next time.

If you are interested in the competition side of your art, the experience will be more valuable than any trophy IMO.

Good luck
Sharon

#133355 - 05/31/04 02:45 PM Re: Compete or No?
Anonymous
Unregistered

do it , its only for fun ..........

#133356 - 06/01/04 08:15 AM Re: Compete or No?
JohnL Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: NY, NY, USA
[QUOTE]Originally posted by blackbelt76:
Hmmm? There is an upcoming BJJ tournet (Gi only) late June. The division I would be in is seniors 41+, beginner, (less than 12 months)

Ok..I've had about 12 lessons total, mostly no Gi.
My instructor has said that often times you will run into "so called" beginners who have been white belts for more than 2 yrs!..and roll like Purples!

Is it worth my while to compete if this is the case?
I do have yrs of MA training, primarily in ShoToKan and TKD which would hardly come into play..and I have also competed in many tourneys, so I have little "pre-tourney jitters)

I can not for the life of me see how anyone can have honor by staying a white belt, simply to clean up on the REAL 12 month or less beginner?

So whadaya' all think? Compete or is it a waste of time if this is the case? ..and pitfalls here?
[/QUOTE]

Accept that after 12 lessons you know nothing.

Enter the tournament.

Have fun.

Make new friends.

JohnL

#133357 - 06/01/04 09:29 AM Re: Compete or No?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks John...
Accept that I know nothing?
I sure feel like I know nothing in this! LOL

#133358 - 06/08/04 03:13 PM Re: Compete or No?
schanne Offline
breaks things

Loc: Woodbury NJ
Waste of time, no way. Yes compete, I recommend everyone do it at least once.

#133359 - 06/10/04 01:11 AM Re: Compete or No?
Kyoku Offline

Loc: Dubbo, NSW, Australia
I am a White Belt, and have been training for three weeks. I'm overweight, unfit, and slow. In one month I'll by up for my first grading. Around this time, there will be a competition and all belts of all ages are welcome to spar, though I beleive white belts are only able to grapple. I'm nervous about this, and unsure of my ability. But I intend to enter a round and compete. If I loose, then I have lost nothing other then the competition, and hopefully I will have learnt something from my defeat. Even talking about it makes me nervous, and come the day I may not have the courage to enter, but it is my intent to.

I think, even if we dont think we can do it, it is better to try and know, then not try and never know.

#133360 - 07/02/04 02:16 PM Re: Compete or No?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I say you should compete.
And yes, there are people who will stay white belt for years on end, just to keep winning the competitions. Even with my father as my teacher in Matsumura Orthodox I wasnt promoted to a yellow belt for well over a year. So not all white belts you see that preform exceptionally well for their rank, are held back just to win competitions. Some teachers just will not promote ranks unless you learn EVERYTHING that is required of that rank. Not only must you learn the moves, but you need to learn what each move represents, and how to execute them the way they are intended to be executed.
I think everyone should be taught this way. Its funny being able to walk into karate studio and dominate a sparing match against black belts. Realize that a belt is to hold your pants up, and nothing more. It doesnt show skill, knowledge, or anything in my mind. My advice to you, would be to stay a white belt as long as possible, and learn every thing you can, about every move and what it means, then you will truly be ready to advance to the next stage in your training.

Moderator:  Cord, MattJ, Reiki, tkd_high_green 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Self Defense
Offering stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and other self defense products not available in stores.

Pepper Spray
Online distributor of self defense supplies like videos, stun guns, Tasers and more.

Spy Cameras
Surveillance, Hidden Cameras, Nanny Cams, Digital Recorders, Spy Equipment, Pocket DVR's and more

Stun Gun
Wholesale Directlhy to the Public! Stun gun and Taser Guns and personal protection products. Keep your loved ones at home safe!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga