FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 30 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SenseiGregT, sagat, JFawkes, pluckysaga39, sgtdemeo
22911 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
AndyLA 5
Dobbersky 5
Ed_Morris 4
futsaowingchun 3
ergees 3
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
New Topics
2014 World Championships Chelyabinsk: The Gallery
by ergees
Yesterday at 03:51 AM
Biu Tzu- Snake hand strike
by futsaowingchun
08/27/14 09:02 PM
Chum Kiu 2nd section applications
by futsaowingchun
08/20/14 09:54 PM
2013 World Championship Rio: The Gallery (HD)
by ergees
08/19/14 05:22 AM
Chi Sao demonstration
by futsaowingchun
08/14/14 10:57 PM
Decent Fight channel
by FrankyFruits
08/07/14 09:19 PM
2014 European Championships Cadets Athens: Videos
by ergees
08/07/14 10:00 AM
Life goes on....
by Dobbersky
08/07/14 05:59 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:14 AM
Recent Posts
2014 World Championships Chelyabinsk: The Gallery
by ergees
Yesterday at 03:51 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by Zombie Zero
08/29/14 10:50 PM
mindfullness meditation
by log1call
08/28/14 02:39 AM
Biu Tzu- Snake hand strike
by futsaowingchun
08/27/14 09:02 PM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Ed_Morris
08/26/14 09:58 PM
The Karate punch
by Ed_Morris
08/26/14 09:27 PM
Chum Kiu 2nd section applications
by futsaowingchun
08/20/14 09:54 PM
2013 World Championship Rio: The Gallery (HD)
by ergees
08/19/14 05:22 AM
attacked from behind
by AndyLA
08/16/14 04:59 PM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by VDJ
08/15/14 05:46 PM
Forum Stats
22911 Members
36 Forums
35573 Topics
432484 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 5 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#133297 - 08/30/04 03:34 PM Re: how to know a MA fraud and a MA master
Anpadh Offline

Loc: Fort Lauderdale, FL, USA
Oldman,

I don't agree with you about VanGogh. His talent was recognised by his peers, while he was alive. That he did not sell more than one painting has more to do with his being a bad salesman than his lack of recognition.

Anyway, I now understand that there is no real way to determine who is a master and who is not. In other fields, the opinions of other experts matters. For instance, regardless of what my gut says, I know that Peter Salk is a great scientist, Andy Warhol is a great painter, and that Ravi Shankar is a great musician, and so on. Apparently it is not so in the field of MA.

#133298 - 08/30/04 04:45 PM Re: how to know a MA fraud and a MA master
Anonymous
Unregistered

You are correct Van gogh was not a salesman.
His brother Theo (1857-1891) was. He was an art dealer. He owned a gallery and made a fine living selling art. He just wasn't able to sell his brothers art.

#133299 - 08/31/04 12:52 AM Re: how to know a MA fraud and a MA master
reaperblack Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Victoria, BC, Canada
my two cents. If they are charging a lot of money they aren't teaching they are doing business. 1. Is this all they do or do they have another job.
2. How long have they been doing this.
3. Do they claim to be a member of any associations, if so what ones, look up the association via the internet and make sure that they are indeed a member, in good standing.
4. Do they try to sell you into it, if so walk away. They should tell you the facts, not sell you a product.
What style of aikido did you guys do that had forms, I did aikiki and we didn't have any?

#133300 - 01/09/05 08:51 AM Re: how to know a MA fraud and a MA master
Anonymous
Unregistered

Oldman, I am humbled by your analogy about you and Pearl. Great.

#133301 - 01/21/05 09:02 AM Re: how to know a MA fraud and a MA master
Anonymous
Unregistered

I've been doing martial arts now for 12years and my first club was a rip off. Luckily I found a different club and an excellent instructor who will deny it but is definately a master. I enjoyed reading the posts on this thread but would suggest otobeawanker gets himself off to www.sowhatsystem.com where he would find the threads there more to his liking.

#133302 - 01/24/05 02:31 PM Re: how to know a MA fraud and a MA master
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have been a martial artist (Shotokan Karate) for 16 years now and I will say this about teaching and teaching methods.

Good martial arts teachers are very organized and knowledgable about the subject matter.

My Sensei is excellent not only because he teaches the traditional aspects of the art (kata, kumite, basics, etc), but he also teaches self-defense techniques that can (and have been) applied to street situations.

For those who believe that the traditional teaching is useless, I say that you do not understand training at all. Performing basics and kata teaches the body to move in certain patterns and repeated training sets these moves into the body as part of its innate reflexes. I am not advocating that you use kata and basics on the street (that would be stupid). However, the use of traditional training prepares the body by adding flexibility and conditioning. Performing kata also provides a means of focusing the mind and allowing outside distractions to melt away. The essence of training is discipline.

#133303 - 01/24/05 10:50 PM Re: how to know a MA fraud and a MA master
Anonymous
Unregistered

Original poster: Here's a good way to tell.

Ask the teacher to spar.

If he or she is too old, ask one of the senior students.

If sensei refuse, leave immediately.

#133304 - 01/25/05 07:13 AM Re: how to know a MA fraud and a MA master
Anonymous
Unregistered

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Hedgehogey:

Ask the teacher to spar.

If he or she is too old, ask one of the senior students.

If sensei refuse, leave immediately.

[/QUOTE]

Ask the teacher to spar.

If sensei agrees, leave immediately.

oldman

#133305 - 01/25/05 10:46 AM Re: how to know a MA fraud and a MA master
Anonymous
Unregistered

Wow.

SO many vague generalities being thrown around its a wonder the orginal poster hasnt jumped out a window yet.

To address a few issues...

Skill in a fight; success in competition; trophies won; accolades collected. None of these things add up to a good teacher. They might be indicators of skill, but skill is one thing; the ability to effectivey teach is something else.

Here are a few pointers, though, that might help you find what you are looking for.

1) try a class or two. Any school worth its salt will allow you a few free classes, to see if you are a good fit. Give it a go and trust your instincts. Does the instructor teach in a way that you feel would be condusive to your style of learning? Is the content of the classes interesting?

2) Avoid schools that ask you to sign a contact for any length of time. Yes, this is a generalization, but these schools are more interested in your money than in your progress. There are better attitudes out there.

3) watch how the other students interact with the instructor. Is there an atmosphere of trust and mutual respect? Or is there an atmosphere of fear? Are the students expected to bow and scape and 'osu' at every comment the isntructor makes? Or does he seem to be open to discussion, and respect the student as much as they respect him?

4) how many higher ranks are there at the club? If there are LOTS of lower level and beginners, and not many higher level, advanced students, this teacher likely has a high turnover of students with a low retnetion rate. There is probably a reason for that.

5) call the local business authority (the better business bureau or a like entity). Ask about the school and see if there are any complaints about the school on the books.

6) This is the most important, in my mind. Know what you are looking for. Going into a martial arts school and wanting to learn martial arts is like going into a library and wanting to read a book. There are SO many out there to choose from - make sure you have an idea of the kind of martial art you want to learn.

7) trust yourself. If you find a school that looks bad, or even just feels bad, it probably is. If you are uncomfortable, there is a reason for it. Look around, and be open minded. Try what is out there, and hopefully you will get lucky and find a good school.

Hope this helps a little...

Galen

#133306 - 01/30/05 02:37 AM Re: how to know a MA fraud and a MA master
Anonymous
Unregistered

<<Original poster: Here's a good way to tell.

Ask the teacher to spar.

If sensei agrees, leave immediately. >>

Are you seriously trying to imply that a willingness to spar is an indication of bullshido?

Page 5 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Cord, MattJ, Reiki, tkd_high_green 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Stun Guns
Variety of stun gun devices for your protection

Buy Pepper Spray
Worry about your family when you’re not around? Visit us today to protect everything you value.

Koryu.com
Accurate information on the ancient martial traditions of the Japanese samurai

C2 Taser
Protect yourself and loved ones from CRIME with the latest C2 Taser citizen model. Very effective.

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga