FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 35 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
BUJU, Pilsungkarate, ALF, old1, Leonar
22928 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
futsaowingchun 3
Ronin1966 3
ergees 2
Victor Smith 1
GojuRyuboy13 1
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
New Topics
Judo 2014 World Championships Juniors: The Gallery
by ergees
Yesterday at 04:53 PM
The Classic Pak Sao drill
by futsaowingchun
10/20/14 10:32 AM
wing chun kicks and knees
by futsaowingchun
10/09/14 12:55 AM
2014 European Championships Juniors: the Gallery
by ergees
10/05/14 10:56 AM
Tan,Bong,Fuk & Wu Sao
by futsaowingchun
09/30/14 12:10 AM
Living a full life violence free...
by GojuRyuboy13
09/25/14 08:50 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Leo's Judo Journal
by Leo_E_49
01/24/12 02:58 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by
05/13/07 08:02 AM
Recent Posts
Judo 2014 World Championships Juniors: The Gallery
by ergees
Yesterday at 04:53 PM
Living a full life violence free...
by GojuRyuboy13
10/22/14 07:20 AM
The Classic Pak Sao drill
by futsaowingchun
10/20/14 10:32 AM
Leo's Judo Journal
by swordy
10/11/14 09:21 AM
The Karate punch
by Ronin1966
10/09/14 03:16 PM
wing chun kicks and knees
by futsaowingchun
10/09/14 12:55 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Ronin1966
10/08/14 09:22 PM
2014 European Championships Juniors: the Gallery
by ergees
10/05/14 10:56 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by AndyLA
10/04/14 10:20 AM
Tan,Bong,Fuk & Wu Sao
by futsaowingchun
09/30/14 12:10 AM
Forum Stats
22928 Members
36 Forums
35583 Topics
432511 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#133267 - 05/26/04 06:49 AM Re: how to know a MA fraud and a MA master
still wadowoman Offline
Improved beefier techno-prat

Loc: Residence:UK- Heart:Md, USA
Hi Andy and welcome [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif[/IMG]

You are right to be wary, there are a lot of charlatans in the MA world. There are also some very good, very honest teachers. It is hard for a beginner to judge.

Fraud is a strong word. What makes you think your instructor may be one? Does he answer your questions about what you are doing and why? Or does he seem to not know himself?

Does he have a website that we can look at?

BTW, off topic, your English is excellent, puts some of us to shame [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif[/IMG]
Sharon

#133268 - 05/27/04 01:11 PM Re: how to know a MA fraud and a MA master
Isshinryukid4life Offline
Professional Injury causer

Loc: Knoxville.
http://www.seiwakai.co.za/Realorfake.html http://www.e-budokai.com/articles/titles.htm

[This message has been edited by Isshinryukid4life (edited 05-27-2004).]

#133269 - 05/27/04 04:21 PM Re: how to know a MA fraud and a MA master
Anonymous
Unregistered

[QUOTE]Originally posted by andyongpoy:
Dear members,

I really need everyone's help on this one! I'm a new guy in your august website. The thing is, I need your knowledge on how to spot a MA teacher who is a fraud and a real MA teacher. I'm just a newbie in martial arts.

I've been to two karate clubs and one aikido club for a long time (minimum of six months) and I feel utterly uncomfortable with them. I'm a hard-training student, believe me. I practice so hard that I wet 3 T-shirts a day with sweat just to perfect a technique. Yet doubt remains in me: Is my master really teaching me the "real deal" or is he teaching me crap?

One of the clubs I went to was too pricey (500 pesos a month 'cause I'm a Filipino)!

The second club had good but disoriented teaching styles (Our master taught us kata for blackbelts and I was just a whitebelt) He didn't have a good lesson plan.

The third club had me practice aikido katas for a week( good lord. I've been doing the same katas again and again)!

So I would like to solicit any knowledge from you because I believe you're all professional martial artists.
[/QUOTE]

#133270 - 05/27/04 04:29 PM Re: how to know a MA fraud and a MA master
Anonymous
Unregistered

andyongpoy if you are a beginner have a thumb thru -the complete idiots guide to Martial Arts-I think its alpha books . it as a lot of questions that you might not think to ask

#133271 - 06/09/04 07:53 PM Re: how to know a MA fraud and a MA master
Anpadh Offline

Loc: Fort Lauderdale, FL, USA
I would imagine that any MA trainer needs to receive training himself/herself, before becoming a trainer. If the person is at all good, he/she must have wom some competition somewhere. Ask the person, and check him/her out with the judges of teh competition. Also, of corse, there are magazines that focus on the Martial Arts and someone either working for the magazine or someone the magazine editors trust would know about the person. Getting information about a person, in the age of the Internet is extremely easy.

#133272 - 06/10/04 01:26 PM Re: how to know a MA fraud and a MA master
JohnL Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: NY, NY, USA
Hi Anpadh

It's good to see you try and give advice, despite that you have stated that you have no experience in the subject matter.

Your advice in this thread;

"I would imagine that any MA trainer needs to receive training himself/herself, before becoming a trainer."

No. Any guy can set himself up in a store as there are no national regulatory bodies. Once they set themselves up, they can teach to anyone who walks in. Unfortunately the people who walk in don't know whether the guy is good or bad and get ripped off.

"If the person is at all good, he/she must have wom some competition somewhere."

Wrong!
Competence in a competition arena does not necessarilly make a good Martial Artist or a good teacher.

"Ask the person, and check him/her out with the judges of teh competition."

The person asking the questions doesn't know the right questions to ask, and even if they did, it's far too easy to be misled. In addition, "check with the judges at of the competition?" They're not around. Even if they were, who are they to judge.

"Also, of corse, there are magazines that focus on the Martial Arts and someone either working for the magazine or someone the magazine editors trust would know about the person."

I wouldn't trust anyone who writes magazines to give me a recommendation nor in any club that advertises in one.

"Getting information about a person, in the age of the Internet is extremely easy."

Wrong again. I know any number of MA's who you will not find anything about them on the internet. And bear in mind, that if you find someones web page, they wrote it themselves. They're hardly going to advertise that they're crap, are they!

Stop giving advice about something you know nothing about.

JohnL

#133273 - 06/10/04 08:43 PM Re: how to know a MA fraud and a MA master
OneDragon Offline

On spotting a teaching fraud: ask yourself ….1. Does the school or teacher pass students to higher rankings extremely quick and easy? 2. Do other students feel like you do? 3. Do students come and go quickly and frequently? One thing is clear to me….you doubt your skills which if ever one could tell you WE ALL DO AT SOME POINT! You might just be in a slump, or plateau where everything seems the same and monotonous. The best advice to me, when this happens, work though it. You are at a stage of processing lots of information. Like a computer thinking about a complex equation, it appears useless while it’s thinking and after words…….the solution! Imaging shutting the computer off while it’s thinking. If you feel like this for more than 6 months from now consider checking out other schools to compare.

#133274 - 06/16/04 09:41 AM Re: how to know a MA fraud and a MA master
Ogoun Offline

Loc: Fort Myers, FL
Ask a lot of questions, and evaluate the answers. Talk to the current students to see how they feel about their dojo and sensei. Try to differentiate between the higher ranks and lower rank by the quality of their techniques.

#133275 - 06/16/04 02:37 PM Re: how to know a MA fraud and a MA master
Anonymous
Unregistered

It's best to find out what you want out of the game.

Do you want to enjoy the glamour which is often associated with this type of study(ala bar-room brawl)?
Do you want to be able to intimidate people and hurt them with your wicked bare-handed techniques?
Do you want to learn weapons?
Do you wish to cultivate yourself, increase confidence, learn compassion, have fun?
Pay attention to your bretheren in training. What is their internal attitude/ motivation? What is yours?

#133276 - 06/16/04 08:42 PM Re: how to know a MA fraud and a MA master
Anpadh Offline

Loc: Fort Lauderdale, FL, USA
JohnL,

I appreciate the fact that you feel that you are the only one in the world who knows anything about the martial arts. You may be shocked to discover that you are wrong. You may also be shocked to discover that you can't read. I never gave advice to anyone claiming to be an expert martial artist, as you claim I did. Also, whether or not you believe that anyone who wins a competition is good, most people would agree that winning competitions does, in fact, indicate a fair degree of proficiency. Of course, you may not have won any competitions yourself or you may not place any importance on winning anything other than meaningless arguments with people whom you don't know.

While it is surely possible for anyone to set up shop as a martial arts teacher, the reality is that if he/she knows nothing about it, he/she won't be able to teach anything either. So, unless a person simply has an insane urge to lose money by pretending to be a Martial Arts teacher, without having any knowledge of the martial arts whatever, I doubt that such things would happen in real life. In your overheated imagination, of course, anything is possible. It is also possible that you have no respect for any martial arts exponent other than yourself. In fact, it seems that you simply have no respect for anyone, period.

Stop shooting off your mouth telling me what I can and cannot do. Your opinion is not the only right one. Get used to that fact. Just because you don't respect or trust anyone, does not mean that the whole world is only full of people who know nothing. Besides, who gave you the idea that the rest of the world is looking for your approval? If nobody has told you this before, let me make this quite clear, at least on my own behalf: I do not respect or trust your opinions. Hence, I do not respond to your comments. I only feel compelled to respond to personal comments you make against me. You spend most of your time making negative personal comments about me and about others. It seems you are frustrated and angry. And we all know what your solution is, for anger and frustration and anger, don't we? Or does it apply only to others and never to yourself?

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Cord, MattJ, Reiki, tkd_high_green 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Stun Guns
Variety of stun gun devices for your protection

Buy Pepper Spray
Worry about your family when you’re not around? Visit us today to protect everything you value.

Koryu.com
Accurate information on the ancient martial traditions of the Japanese samurai

C2 Taser
Protect yourself and loved ones from CRIME with the latest C2 Taser citizen model. Very effective.

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga