FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 52 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
ksusanc, kellypnik123, leyinn, Ron_Cooley, businns
22902 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Dobbersky 11
trevek 6
cxt 6
JKogas 5
TaekwonDoFan 2
July
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
New Topics
centerline concepts
by futsaowingchun
07/14/14 10:49 PM
language of syllabus
by trevek
07/11/14 03:36 PM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:14 AM
10 San Sik drills-Wing Chun's foundation
by futsaowingchun
06/30/14 11:20 AM
"Ip Man" and "Ip Man 2" the movies.
by TaekwonDoFan
06/30/14 11:02 AM
Iaido movements speed
by TooNice
04/14/14 01:47 PM
Anderson Silva - Leg Break
by Dobbersky
12/30/13 08:32 AM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
Gi or no Gi Grappling?
by Prizewriter
04/16/12 02:48 PM
Recent Posts
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by cxt
Today at 01:18 PM
centerline concepts
by Dobbersky
07/18/14 06:14 AM
language of syllabus
by trevek
07/14/14 04:50 PM
Gi or no Gi Grappling?
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:38 AM
MMA - A passing Fad
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:35 AM
Anderson Silva - Leg Break
by Dobbersky
07/09/14 06:13 AM
Throwing
by JKogas
07/03/14 07:40 PM
10 San Sik drills-Wing Chun's foundation
by futsaowingchun
06/30/14 11:20 AM
"Ip Man" and "Ip Man 2" the movies.
by TaekwonDoFan
06/30/14 11:02 AM
Forget all that health stuff
by TaekwonDoFan
06/29/14 03:18 AM
Forum Stats
22902 Members
36 Forums
35563 Topics
432448 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#133257 - 05/24/04 09:34 PM how to know a MA fraud and a MA master
Anonymous
Unregistered

Dear members,

I really need everyone's help on this one! I'm a new guy in your august website. The thing is, I need your knowledge on how to spot a MA teacher who is a fraud and a real MA teacher. I'm just a newbie in martial arts.

I've been to two karate clubs and one aikido club for a long time (minimum of six months) and I feel utterly uncomfortable with them. I'm a hard-training student, believe me. I practice so hard that I wet 3 T-shirts a day with sweat just to perfect a technique. Yet doubt remains in me: Is my master really teaching me the "real deal" or is he teaching me crap?

One of the clubs I went to was too pricey (500 pesos a month 'cause I'm a Filipino)!

The second club had good but disoriented teaching styles (Our master taught us kata for blackbelts and I was just a whitebelt) He didn't have a good lesson plan.

The third club had me practice aikido katas for a week( good lord. I've been doing the same katas again and again)!

So I would like to solicit any knowledge from you because I believe you're all professional martial artists.

#133258 - 05/24/04 10:20 PM Re: how to know a MA fraud and a MA master
nekogami13 V2.0 Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Texas, USA
Aikido has katas?

#133259 - 05/24/04 11:22 PM Re: how to know a MA fraud and a MA master
Isshinryukid4life Offline
Professional Injury causer

Loc: Knoxville.
[QUOTE]Originally posted by andyongpoy:
Dear members,

I really need everyone's help on this one! I'm a new guy in your august website. The thing is, I need your knowledge on how to spot a MA teacher who is a fraud and a real MA teacher. I'm just a newbie in martial arts.

I've been to two karate clubs and one aikido club for a long time (minimum of six months) and I feel utterly uncomfortable with them. I'm a hard-training student, believe me. I practice so hard that I wet 3 T-shirts a day with sweat just to perfect a technique. Yet doubt remains in me: Is my master really teaching me the "real deal" or is he teaching me crap?

One of the clubs I went to was too pricey (500 pesos a month 'cause I'm a Filipino)!

The second club had good but disoriented teaching styles (Our master taught us kata for blackbelts and I was just a whitebelt) He didn't have a good lesson plan.

The third club had me practice aikido katas for a week( good lord. I've been doing the same katas again and again)!

So I would like to solicit any knowledge from you because I believe you're all professional martial artists.
[/QUOTE] First of all, katas are essential to the martial arts.Also,I doubt the ppl you're learning from are frauds. However it could be that some of the schools that you're going to are not very organized,Or have a different way of teaching.

#133260 - 05/25/04 03:15 AM Re: how to know a MA fraud and a MA master
otobeawanker Offline

Loc: CANADA

[This message has been edited by otobeawanker (edited 05-26-2004).]

#133261 - 05/25/04 04:05 AM Re: how to know a MA fraud and a MA master
ken harding Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: UK
What a heap of rubbish. Lets do a point by point shall we?
Well what do you mean by martial arts master? Someone who knows a certain, rooted style in and out, someone that knows how to fight. Or someone that knows how to fight and can fight in real life.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Ok lousy grammar aside, if you don't learn something thoroughly you won't be able to use it. Whether that is so called traditional movement or realist/modern movement/principles does not really matter."Someone who knows how to fight" It's odd but I have been the one who walked away on the few occasions I have been called upon to fight. I've avoided far more fights simply by being aware. The problem today is that we seem to want instant expertise. It does not come like that. Couple that with the Japansese tendency to be implicit rather than explicit and people have a problem. I actually like the fact it takes work and a soul searching to progress.
If you are looking for practical, real life training. Avoid any school with belts or katta. Katta just lets the time roll by and the money roll in. Japanese instructers of karate use very little Katta compared to their watered down western counter part
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
A silly generalization. I've trained with a number of Japanese and one Okinawan instructors as well as numerous Western ones. It varies from teacher to teacher. I'd agree on belts only insofar as one should avoid schools which teach only to allow students to pass a grading with no application of what is being learned. Kata does not simply let time role by. I'll not waste my time explaining about real kata application. All I'll say it is has worked for me and I am no super highly graded master type.
Pajama Arts are great for those who like to explore the various stlyes for their balet like motions and sprituality. I like exploring this side for those reasons. But Pratical Martial arts are something completely different.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Pyjama arts (angry, white,black etc etc) are not about ballet motions. They engender a spiritual angle yes but that is no bad thing in a world where anything remotely spirual is frowned upon. Actually the "spiritual" as you put it is intrinsically linked with the practical. You may spot this at some point in your life. I'm not advocating you turn into a monk...just think about things occasionally. If a martial art is not of a practical heritage by the way it does not survive!
This is the realm I train within. So there are two types of Masters. So it all depends on which one you seek. Remember martial arts is a way of life, not a class you take once a week.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Wrong. A master is a master regardless. Those who can't "walk the walk" are frauds. The realm you train is simply one of many, one path out of many possible paths.

Here endeth the lesson [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif[/IMG]

#133262 - 05/25/04 08:21 AM Re: how to know a MA fraud and a MA master
JohnL Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: NY, NY, USA
Hi Ken

Unfortunately, when you read otobeawanker's posts you have to understand where he's coming from.

He's arrived on the forum claiming to have tens of thousands of hours of training having studied 8 or 9 different MA's (Not at the same time) and apparently most of his training appears to take place in his bedroom.

He has managed to make 67 posts in approximately one day giving his opinion on a vast range of subjects. Unfortunately almost all his posts have been unmitigated crap. I've been participating on the forum for over a year now and I find that people like this come and go every now and then. You just have to hope they go quickly.

The bad part about this is that when a newbie asks questions, they get advice from morons such as this before someone with some knowledge can actually give some sound advice.

His profile says he's a comedian from Canada. I assume his services are not in great demand as he appears to have far too much time on his hands. Let's just hope he stays in Canada.

JohnL

#133263 - 05/25/04 10:22 AM Re: how to know a MA fraud and a MA master
mark Offline
sword of magnamity

Loc: uk
Well said John!! [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/biggrin.gif[/IMG]

Good post Ken, but i fear it will be in vain, looks like we have another fool in our midst. My highly developed instincts tell me that anyone that calls themselves
“ otobeawanker” has in fact already succeeded in obtaining that goal.

nekogami13, sure aikido has kata, the hirano( spelling?) kata is one that we practice, very good in fact.

Regards,

mark

#133264 - 05/25/04 08:47 PM Re: how to know a MA fraud and a MA master
otobeawanker Offline

Loc: CANADA

[This message has been edited by otobeawanker (edited 05-26-2004).]

#133265 - 05/26/04 01:59 AM Re: how to know a MA fraud and a MA master
still wadowoman Offline
Improved beefier techno-prat

Loc: Residence:UK- Heart:Md, USA
how about some meat to back up your claims instead?

There are a lot of people here who use their training in their jobs. Have you used your training in a real situation?

I am not sure that holding an orange belt in karate qualifies you to rubbish the "pyjama arts". Maybe your experience of karate was not a good one, but not all karate clubs are the same. I think it's you that needs to open your mind.

You might also try some manners. If you entered the dojo with the same attitude you have entered this forum then I am not suprised that you got little out of it.

Just my opinion
Sharon

#133266 - 05/26/04 05:53 AM Re: how to know a MA fraud and a MA master
Anonymous
Unregistered

Please don't mix other topics with MY specific topic.

To the first reply, their is kata in aikido.

Oh, and to the other replies, thanks for the reply (even though its hardly helping me out).

Maybe you got my message all wrong. To those who didn't understand my plead, let me reiterate: HOW DO YOU KNOW THAT A MA TEACHER IS TEACHING YOU THE REAL DEAL OR CRAP. Just because he got his blackbelts and whatever doesn't usually mean he's going to teach me proper MA. I'm no psychic.

Could you suggest any questions/tests that I can use to see if a MA teacher is honest in his duty.

Oh, and could some people who replied talk like civilized human beings. I need help not yapping.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Cord, MattJ, Reiki, tkd_high_green 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Self Defense
Offering stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and other self defense products not available in stores.

Pepper Spray
Online distributor of self defense supplies like videos, stun guns, Tasers and more.

Spy Cameras
Surveillance, Hidden Cameras, Nanny Cams, Digital Recorders, Spy Equipment, Pocket DVR's and more

Stun Gun
Wholesale Directlhy to the Public! Stun gun and Taser Guns and personal protection products. Keep your loved ones at home safe!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga