FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 38 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
old1, Leonar, ManLar, Vimido, raya
22925 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
futsaowingchun 4
Ronin1966 3
AndyLA 1
GojuRyuboy13 1
Matakiant 1
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
New Topics
The Classic Pak Sao drill
by futsaowingchun
Yesterday at 10:32 AM
wing chun kicks and knees
by futsaowingchun
10/09/14 12:55 AM
2014 European Championships Juniors: the Gallery
by ergees
10/05/14 10:56 AM
Tan,Bong,Fuk & Wu Sao
by futsaowingchun
09/30/14 12:10 AM
Living a full life violence free...
by GojuRyuboy13
09/25/14 08:50 AM
Wing Chun-internal training
by futsaowingchun
09/23/14 09:01 PM
Martial News
by Matakiant
09/23/14 06:42 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Leo's Judo Journal
by Leo_E_49
01/24/12 02:58 AM
Recent Posts
The Classic Pak Sao drill
by futsaowingchun
Yesterday at 10:32 AM
Leo's Judo Journal
by swordy
10/11/14 09:21 AM
Living a full life violence free...
by cxt
10/10/14 10:08 AM
The Karate punch
by Ronin1966
10/09/14 03:16 PM
wing chun kicks and knees
by futsaowingchun
10/09/14 12:55 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Ronin1966
10/08/14 09:22 PM
2014 European Championships Juniors: the Gallery
by ergees
10/05/14 10:56 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by AndyLA
10/04/14 10:20 AM
Tan,Bong,Fuk & Wu Sao
by futsaowingchun
09/30/14 12:10 AM
Wing Chun-internal training
by futsaowingchun
09/23/14 09:01 PM
Forum Stats
22925 Members
36 Forums
35582 Topics
432509 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 2 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#133101 - 04/20/04 01:45 PM Re: Designing nunchuks.
Anpadh Offline

Loc: Fort Lauderdale, FL, USA
John,

Thanks for the advice. I do advise her to stay out of trouble. However, I am not the one to advise her to run away from trouble. As to the possibility of someone taking away a nunchuk from a third-degree black belt, well, I must admit it is possible, as anything is possible, but it is not really likely. As to the nunchuk being available instantly, I want to construct it so it can be worn below a skirt or belt, to be unobtrusive and easily reachable.

All that said, I plan to take your advice and refrain from constructing/purchasing a nunchuk, for now. The idea was to give her a practical gift when she gets her black belt next year, something that shows her I take pride in her accomplishment as an MA artiste. I want to do more than give her a card or a ribbon or something silly like that. Of course, she will get her flowers and a hug/kiss and a visit to Mickey Mouse, and so on, but none of that shows my appreciation for her talent as a Martial Artiste. If you have any suggestions, I would appreciate them.

In regard to registering her hands as lethal weapons, her karate school says it is mandatory. I will check with Kiyoshi or KC LaVallee, just to be sure.

#133102 - 04/20/04 02:05 PM Re: Designing nunchuks.
still wadowoman Offline
Improved beefier techno-prat

Loc: Residence:UK- Heart:Md, USA
There is nothing wrong with buying her a good set of nunchukkas or any other weapon for her to train with as a gift when she achieves black belt.

That doesn't mean it would be a good thing for her to carry them. I am sure she will treasure whatever gift you choose for her.
Sharon

#133103 - 04/20/04 02:27 PM Re: Designing nunchuks.
Raul Perez Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Lake Ronkonkoma, NY, USA
Originally posted by Anpadh:
"As to the possibility of someone taking away a nunchuk from a third-degree black belt, well, I must admit it is possible, as anything is possible, but it is not really likely."

Actually the possibility is very high! Just because when she achieves her 3rd degree she is not invincible. It's the individual not the rank that is important and makes the system "deadly". I know some 2nd degree black belts that could not beat their way out of a wet paper bag. I know some mid level students that can wipe the floor with almost anyone in the room (instructors included!). And BTW (and I say this with respect) any 13-16 year old 3rd degree black belt is not highly regarded in the self-defense oriented Martial Arts community.

"All that said, I plan to take your advice and refrain from constructing/purchasing a nunchuk, for now. The idea was to give her a practical gift when she gets her black belt next year, something that shows her I take pride in her accomplishment as an MA artiste."

You can give her anything you wish. I am sure anything you give will be thrilling to her.
But it sounds like you are looking for a practical weapon that is eaisly concealed and can strike Pressure Points fairly well. If that is the case I think the nunchuku is not the best idea. I would suggest researching the Yawara stick, Kubotan, or Chizikunbo.
But as John said, introducing a weapon could have some serious legal consequences.

"In regard to registering her hands as lethal weapons, her karate school says it is mandatory. I will check with Kiyoshi or KC LaVallee, just to be sure."

I can not speak for Florida but here in NY it is nothing more than a myth. Sounds like a way to get more money out of you. If anything it would increase your daughter's liability if she was attacked and caused serious damage to her attacker.

Regards,

Raul

[This message has been edited by Raul Perez (edited 04-20-2004).]

#133104 - 04/20/04 05:53 PM Re: Designing nunchuks.
JohnL Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: NY, NY, USA
Hi Anpadh

Glad to hear you're revising your thinking of nunchuks for street use. I honestly believe you'd be creating a problem more than solving one.

As for a gift. Completely up to you.

Just remember, she's not a martial artist who can deal death to 20 attackers at a time, she's not lethal, she's not the weapon wielding avenger of the apocalypse.

She's your 10 year old daughter.

Enjoy her for what she is.

Good luck.

JohnL

[This message has been edited by JohnL (edited 04-20-2004).]

#133105 - 04/20/04 09:11 PM Re: Designing nunchuks.
CanuckMA Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Toronto, ON, Canada
registering the hands as deadly weapons is a myth. Anywhere.

Carying a concealed weapon is a felony almost everywhere. Carying anything that can be construed as a weapon is a susoension offence in most school districts.

#133106 - 04/21/04 03:30 PM Re: Designing nunchuks.
Anpadh Offline

I am really happy to receive so much sincere and informed feedback. However, I am a little curious about what Raul said in re the fact that young teens at any level are not regarded seriously in self-defense circles. I am just wondering why that is. I have seen my daughter and others being trained. Yes, I don't think she is Batwoman, but, still, I have seen a class full of kids at her level being trained to take down an adult, in less than a second, even when the adult is wielding a weapon, such as a knife or club.

I will admit that I got my daughter to start training in MA for the focus and concentration rather than the self-defense skills. However, if even third-degree black-belt skills aren't to be taken seriously, on the street, then I suppose it makes no difference whether or not she continues her MA training until she is in her 20's or 30's. I find that rather disturbing. I do want her to be able to defend herself, at least from her peers, in high school and even college. If 10 plus years in MA training is all useless, for that purpose, then she may as well take up origami, as of next year.

I would really like to have some feedback on this.

#133107 - 04/21/04 03:44 PM Re: Designing nunchuks.
nekogami13 V2.0 Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Texas, USA
Martial arts training only goes so far. No ten year old is going to be able to take on a fully grown adult male and have a high probability of winning. A 100lb. woman is not going to have a high probability of beating up a 230 lb man.

Martial arts training does not make you superhuman. It teaches you to use what you have more efficiantly and how to use more of your body as a weapon. It will not give you the ability to kick everyones butt, it may give you a chance where before you had none.

As for children learning self defense-certain movements, targets etc are not for children. It is ethicaly wrong to teach someone crippling/maiming/killing techniques that do not have sufficient emotional control or maturity to apply them in the appropriate circumstance.

#133108 - 04/21/04 03:59 PM Re: Designing nunchuks.
Anpadh Offline

I may have misinterpreted what you said, but it seems to me that what you are saying, basically, is that it is more effective to point a gun at someone than to receive training in MA. My understanding always has been that MA training is a kind of equalizer in situations where one would be facing basically overwhelming odds, without the training. I don't think the training makes one superhuman, to the point where one can fight an army, alone and weaponless. But, I do feel that a 100-lb woman, trained in MA should be able to overcome a 200-lb opponent, who is totally untrained. If that is not the case, then, as I see it, MA training is as effective, for purposes of self-defense, as doing nothing whatever.

#133109 - 04/21/04 04:23 PM Re: Designing nunchuks.
Raul Perez Offline
Professional Poster

To add to what Neko said:

Regardless of what you see or hear in the movies size and weight DOES MATTER. What martial arts does is give the shorter, lighter person more skill (better targeting for anatomical weak points), and increased power relative to their size (through economy of motion and proper skeletal alignment) along with evasive maneuvers to HOPEFULLY create enough DAMAGE to ESCAPE an untrained attacker. A smaller, lighter person should never try to go toe to toe cause 9/10 times they will lose. That is why I advocated that your daughter do track or cross country. The odds will go the other way if the attacker is trained himself.

As for street assaults including weapons… 95% of the time you will not know your attacker has a weapon (especially a knife). And almost 100% of knife attacks the defender is cut or stabbed at least once. Again why I proposed your daughter take courses in awareness and the signs street predators use to determine a victim. If she is aware of her surroundings and does not display any victim like traits her chances of being attacked go down. And even if she is targeted she is aware of it and can find an avenue of escape.

Martial arts gives you more of a chance than if you did nothing. It does not give you the ability to take on anyone or everyone (regardless if they are trained or not).

Regards,

Raul

[This message has been edited by Raul Perez (edited 04-21-2004).]

#133110 - 04/21/04 04:24 PM Re: Designing nunchuks.
Raul Perez Offline
Professional Poster

PS

And yes it is more efficient and combat effective to point a gun at someone and pull the trigger. Think of all the bruises and energy saved. [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/biggrin.gif[/IMG]

Raul

Page 2 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  Cord, MattJ, Reiki, tkd_high_green 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Self Defense
Offering stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and other self defense products not available in stores.

Pepper Spray
Online distributor of self defense supplies like videos, stun guns, Tasers and more.

Spy Cameras
Surveillance, Hidden Cameras, Nanny Cams, Digital Recorders, Spy Equipment, Pocket DVR's and more

Stun Gun
Wholesale Directlhy to the Public! Stun gun and Taser Guns and personal protection products. Keep your loved ones at home safe!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga