FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 33 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
old1, Leonar, ManLar, Vimido, raya
22925 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
futsaowingchun 4
Ronin1966 3
GojuRyuboy13 2
Matakiant 1
cxt 1
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
New Topics
The Classic Pak Sao drill
by futsaowingchun
10/20/14 10:32 AM
wing chun kicks and knees
by futsaowingchun
10/09/14 12:55 AM
2014 European Championships Juniors: the Gallery
by ergees
10/05/14 10:56 AM
Tan,Bong,Fuk & Wu Sao
by futsaowingchun
09/30/14 12:10 AM
Living a full life violence free...
by GojuRyuboy13
09/25/14 08:50 AM
Wing Chun-internal training
by futsaowingchun
09/23/14 09:01 PM
Martial News
by Matakiant
09/23/14 06:42 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Leo's Judo Journal
by Leo_E_49
01/24/12 02:58 AM
Recent Posts
Living a full life violence free...
by GojuRyuboy13
Today at 07:20 AM
The Classic Pak Sao drill
by futsaowingchun
10/20/14 10:32 AM
Leo's Judo Journal
by swordy
10/11/14 09:21 AM
The Karate punch
by Ronin1966
10/09/14 03:16 PM
wing chun kicks and knees
by futsaowingchun
10/09/14 12:55 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Ronin1966
10/08/14 09:22 PM
2014 European Championships Juniors: the Gallery
by ergees
10/05/14 10:56 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by AndyLA
10/04/14 10:20 AM
Tan,Bong,Fuk & Wu Sao
by futsaowingchun
09/30/14 12:10 AM
Wing Chun-internal training
by futsaowingchun
09/23/14 09:01 PM
Forum Stats
22925 Members
36 Forums
35582 Topics
432510 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#133091 - 04/19/04 11:01 AM Designing nunchuks.
Anpadh Offline

Loc: Fort Lauderdale, FL, USA
My daughter is just under 10 years old. I fear for her safety, when she grows up, as she is always going to be petite because her mother and I are both short (I'm 5'7" and the mom is about 4 inches shorter). Right now, she is in an excellent school and lives in a good neighborhood, so the worry is not located in the immediate future. But, what I would like to do, is to create a weapon for her that is light, unobtrusive, and deadly. In 12 months or less, she will have earned her first-degree black belt in a "blended" system of MA, including jiu-jitsu, judo, kickboxing, etc. She has begun to learn the use of a nucnchuk, and is, according to her teachers, fairly proficient with them, and with other weapons, at this point, though she will receive training until her third-degree black belt.

What I want to do is to create a nunchuk that is all wood, but hollow, with a space in it for a pipe that can hold sand, lead pellets, or whatever, to make the nunchuk as light/heavy as she likes, and to sheathe 12-inch blades (one on each side of the nunchuk) in one section of the wooden frame. The idea is to give it a flat shape and make it quite slim so that she can wear it under her belt without it being noticed and without it becoming too heavy. I want to create a nunchuk that folds flat, yet snaps together instantly, by using flat panels, creating a kind of triangular or rectangular shape rather than the traditional round shape.

I would like to know what you guys think of this idea. I saw some interesting posts, particularly by someone called JohnL, who seems very knowldgeable. Those posts were about pressure points but, as I am posting here the very first time, I don't quite know how I got here from there. I originally wanted to post this there, as I want to make a nunchuk that is designed to hit pressure points, without coming into very close contact with the opponent, who may be armed.

#133092 - 04/19/04 11:12 AM Re: Designing nunchuks.
still wadowoman Offline
Improved beefier techno-prat

Loc: Residence:UK- Heart:Md, USA
Having a daughter myself, I totally understand where you are coming from. However, you should first check that it is not illegal to carry nunchukks in the state you live in. I know that in some states it is illegal to even have them in your home. Here in the UK, it is OK to have them for training purposes, but definitely NOT to carry them.

If they are illegal to carry where you live, there are other things perfectly legal to carry that can make an effective weapon in the right hands.
Sharon

#133093 - 04/19/04 11:19 AM Re: Designing nunchuks.
Anpadh Offline

I have not checked, but I am almost sure it is not illegal to carry nunchuks in Florida, as the MA class my daughter attends teaches the use of nunchuks, though only with the foam variety. The class says that they use the foam ones only so the kids won't hurt themselves, however -- not for legal reasons. Still, I will check.

#133094 - 04/19/04 12:17 PM Re: Designing nunchuks.
Raul Perez Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Lake Ronkonkoma, NY, USA
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Anpadh:
My daughter is just under 10 years old. I fear for her safety, when she grows up, as she is always going to be petite because her mother and I are both short (I'm 5'7" and the mom is about 4 inches shorter). Right now, she is in an excellent school and lives in a good neighborhood, so the worry is not located in the immediate future. But, what I would like to do, is to create a weapon for her that is light, unobtrusive, and deadly. .....
What I want to do is to create a nunchuk that is all wood, but hollow, with a space in it for a pipe that can hold sand, lead pellets, or whatever, to make the nunchuk as light/heavy as she likes, and to sheathe 12-inch blades (one on each side of the nunchuk) in one section of the wooden frame.
[/QUOTE]

Anpadh,

Honestly I think you are being a little too irrational with the nunchuku construction. Your daughter is 10 yrs old right?! Well let her enjoy being 10. She should be playing with dolls and having sleep overs and SHOULD NOT be toying around with a lethal instrument that you have decided to construct. Think of the physcological damage it could cause her if she actually used it and killed someone? I am thinking not only an assailant but also perhaps one of her friends. She could be showing them how to use it... somethings slips... BAM little Suzy has no friggin eye and her trachea is collapsed from the impact of weapon.
Also consider the diciplinary action she may encounter if she is caught in school with this. 10 yr old girls like to gossip and sooner or later it will get around that your daughter has a concealed weapon. She will be called in to the Principal's office, the weapon will be found and if she is lucky she will get suspended. If not she will get expelled and child services could be called because guess what, daddy told her it was ok to carry it to school. That's a real nice thing to have on her permanent record.

And, why may I ask, do you fear for her safety in such an extreme way? You live in Ft. Lauderdale which, from when I checked last, was a very nice middle to high income town. Not the murder capitol of Florida.

I think it is great that you have your daughter enrolled in a martial arts school to increase her safety just in case she is attacked. I am not thrilled you wish to arm her with a deadly, concealed, bladed, rectangular nunchucku.

You want to increase her safety? Have her take track or cross country in school. The faster she runs the quicker her escape. Also have her take courses in awarness, assessing danger with regards to body language, How to call for help, common traits and body language street attackers use to determine victims.

Regards,

Raul

[This message has been edited by Raul Perez (edited 04-19-2004).]

#133095 - 04/19/04 12:50 PM Re: Designing nunchuks.
still wadowoman Offline
Improved beefier techno-prat

Loc: Residence:UK- Heart:Md, USA
Good post Raul. I thought he was talking about weapons for when his daughter is older.

Back to the nunchukas, just because it is not illegal to train them, does not mean it is OK to carry on the street.
Sharon

#133096 - 04/19/04 12:57 PM Re: Designing nunchuks.
Raul Perez Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Lake Ronkonkoma, NY, USA
[QUOTE]Originally posted by still wadowoman:
Good post Raul. I thought he was talking about weapons for when his daughter is older.[/QUOTE]

Hi Sharon,

Regardless if it is for her when she is older it sounds like he wants to contruct this thing soon and probably wants to begin training his daughter to use it as soon as possible. And suppose he does not let her carry it around until she is older. At what point is she old enough to be trusted with such a weapon? Jr. High school, High school, college?

This sits bad with me.

Regards,

Raul

#133097 - 04/19/04 02:01 PM Re: Designing nunchuks.
Yojimbo558 Offline

Loc: Marina, Ca. USA
Hi Anpadh,

When dealing with my students and they ask me about what type of weapon they could carry to defend themselves, I have always discouraged them from selecting nunchucks.

The reason is simple, in California they are a Felony Weapon. While I agree that knowing a weapon is important in order to understand how to defend against it and exploit its weaknesses...I feel that if you're going to train with something you should focus on one that is legal & won't get you in greater trouble than the bastard that attacked you.

I don't know if nunchucks are legal in Florida...but the manner of construction you want to do is. Any defense attorney will with pleasure illustrate that you're daughter struck (( if such a situation happened in the future )) their client with a pipe...and that is a felony.

Eric

#133098 - 04/19/04 02:52 PM Re: Designing nunchuks.
Yoseikan Student Offline
Veteran

Loc: UK
What Raul says expresses and augments my thoughts, I read the post and was utterly at a loss for a reply. Shes like 9 man!!

[This message has been edited by Yoseikan Student (edited 04-19-2004).]

#133099 - 04/20/04 11:05 AM Re: Designing nunchuks.
Anpadh Offline

I appreciate the feedback. I was really looking for design suggestions and to know, basically, if the design was workable. Once my daughter has a black belt plus three months of training, her hands are registered as deadly weapons with the police, anyway, so I feel that the whole issue of nunchuks being legal is moot, really.

And, yes, Fort Lauderdale is safe, but she won't always be in Fort Lauderdale. As she grows up, she may be in places such as nightclubs, late at night. For that matter, unsafe situations can occur anywhere at any time. I just want to be sure that my daughter is always able to take care of herself, even against an armed assailant. I would rather have her carry a stick (which is what a nunchuk is) than a gun.

Still, I do appreciate the feedback and will look into the whole thing in more detail.

#133100 - 04/20/04 12:43 PM Re: Designing nunchuks.
JohnL Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: NY, NY, USA
Hi Anpadh

I'd refrained from posting in reply as I thought others would give you advice, but a couple of points need clearing up;

1. Constructing a nunchuk is a waste of your time. A good quality nunchuk would do the job nicely, however there are pitfalls.

2. Owning nunchuks is illegal in some states, I'm sure that carrying them openly is.

3. When trouble goes off it goes off fast. Unless she's already holding them and prepared to use them, they're going to be no use at all.

4. Even if she uses them, she has introduced a weapon to the fray. If she injures her attacker she's liable to be jailed and sued because she escalated the violence. There's a good chance she may have the weapon taken off her and then used against her.

I can see very little, "up side" to carrying a weapon.

Teach your daughter common sense, guide her away from dangerous places, let her learn some self defense, and then hope for the best.

As for registering your daughters hands as lethal weapons, you don't have to. They aren't and won't be.

I have 2 daughters myself (13 & 15) and have similar worries to yours. I don't believe that carrying a weapon helps the situation.

JohnL

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  Cord, MattJ, Reiki, tkd_high_green 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Self Defense
Offering stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and other self defense products not available in stores.

Pepper Spray
Online distributor of self defense supplies like videos, stun guns, Tasers and more.

Spy Cameras
Surveillance, Hidden Cameras, Nanny Cams, Digital Recorders, Spy Equipment, Pocket DVR's and more

Stun Gun
Wholesale Directlhy to the Public! Stun gun and Taser Guns and personal protection products. Keep your loved ones at home safe!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga