FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 41 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
mohdnabeel, sunny, swordy, jerrybarry24, SenseiGregT
22915 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
AndyLA 3
futsaowingchun 3
Matakiant 3
kolslaw 1
Bartfast 1
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
New Topics
Tan,Bong,Fuk & Wu Sao
by futsaowingchun
09/30/14 12:10 AM
Living a full life violence free...
by GojuRyuboy13
09/25/14 08:50 AM
Wing Chun-internal training
by futsaowingchun
09/23/14 09:01 PM
Martial News
by Matakiant
09/23/14 06:42 AM
STX Kickboxing Seminar
by Marcus Charles
09/09/14 06:57 PM
Biu Tzu- 1st section applications
by futsaowingchun
09/05/14 10:56 PM
2014 World Championships Chelyabinsk: The Gallery
by ergees
09/01/14 03:51 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
mindfullness meditation
by
01/06/09 11:27 AM
Recent Posts
Tan,Bong,Fuk & Wu Sao
by futsaowingchun
09/30/14 12:10 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Victor Smith
09/28/14 07:11 PM
Living a full life violence free...
by GojuRyuboy13
09/25/14 08:50 AM
Wing Chun-internal training
by futsaowingchun
09/23/14 09:01 PM
Martial News
by Matakiant
09/23/14 06:42 AM
attacked from behind
by AndyLA
09/19/14 09:05 AM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
09/18/14 06:07 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by Zombie Zero
09/16/14 04:43 PM
Eugue Ryu
by kolslaw
09/12/14 03:35 PM
Biu Tzu- 1st section applications
by futsaowingchun
09/05/14 10:56 PM
Forum Stats
22915 Members
36 Forums
35579 Topics
432500 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#132776 - 03/04/04 04:34 AM Re: student dilema
Sensei_Emad Offline
Stranger

Loc: Manila, Philippines
Dear Sharon,

Greetings! Im new to this group. I hope we can be friends. Im from the Philippines. [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif[/IMG]

I just read the thread on student dilema. I am happy for you and your dojo that the crisis is over. You handled the problem very well. And special thanks to all who gave their support and share of advice.

"Most martial arts have a system of colored belts by which the students assess their level of development at that particular school. The various colored belts and/or stripes on the belt are supposed to ensure that the student maintains a sense of constantly moving forward and progressing towards the ultimate goal, the black belt. In the majority of cases, these various systems differentiate grades or levels in terms of the number of forms and the number of techniques or moves the student knows. When the student has learned a set of katas and moves, this is taken to be indicative of progress, indicating that the student is ready to be promoted to the next color belt."

That woman is a very sad case. She should have been very patient since she wanted that purple belt so badly. There are many students like her who are after the color of the belt (even if they dont deserve it)rather than focusing on becoming true martial artists. Well, that's one sad thuth.

Now that you can finally breath, you and all of us must not forget about what happened. Let it be a lesson for all of us.

I have noticed that many dojos lack something very vital to the growth and transformation of the student. Im talking about "THE SPIRIT OF THE MARTIAL ARTS".

You are all familiar with the YIN & YANG, right? These are two intertwined opposing forces that are constantly interchanging and interacting. To simplify, "Yang" represents physical side of the art, "the techniques, sparring". "Yang" represents the spiritual aspect, "martial arts philosophy, virtues, discipline, non-violence". Knowledge must be balanced to become better martial artists and better persons. (I feel so sorry for that woman).

"Man, the living creature, the creating individual, is always more important than any established style or system."-Bruce Lee
[IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/wink.gif[/IMG]

#132777 - 03/04/04 05:28 AM Re: student dilema
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi Sensei-Emad [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif[/IMG]

Welcome to the forum.
Sharon

#132778 - 03/04/04 12:24 PM Re: student dilema
sunspots Offline
oldtimer/newbie
Enthusiast

Loc: Southern Oregon, USA
I am also very much in favor of "pre-testing" as another poster mentioned above. My Sensei does it, as a way to 1) Find things a student might need to brush up on before a real test, 2) Avoid hurt feelings if someone cannot pass a test, 3)Not waste either his own or the student's time and trouble if they aren't really ready.

This practice seems to work really well, and he can informally "pretest" several students who are near each other in ability at the same time, giving individual help to each according to their needs, rather than try to prepare each (for example) Purple Belt separately for the Blue Belt test.

#132779 - 04/02/04 02:35 PM Re: student dilema
Ogoun Offline

Loc: Fort Myers, FL
Is it not against protocol for a student to request to be tested?

#132780 - 04/27/04 07:18 PM Re: student dilema
Ronin1966 Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: East Coast, United States
Hello Sharon,

You describe a sad but common teaching experience. Students whose perceptions have no basis in reality. Worse her perceptions are so unfortunately warped in ~false realities~ and dillusions. You have a sad but real challenge.

It is your authority-skill being questioned. She has not learned the material. Who is the teacher? We teach ourselves but are sanctioned/recognized by the instructor(s) as ready for new material. You have serious misgivings on many levels about her. Rightly or wrongly, your job is to challenge her incorrect perceptions. If you feel you cannot correct her, let her go. Do not be surprised if she ~gets promoted~ by you if you do...

Jeff

#132781 - 04/28/04 03:51 AM Re: student dilema
still wadowoman Offline
Improved beefier techno-prat

Loc: Residence:UK- Heart:Md, USA
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Ogoun:
Is it not against protocol for a student to request to be tested?[/QUOTE]

Sorry Ogun, I missed your question before.
I think some senseis would agree with that, but I don't mind my students asking me when they will be testing. I DO mind when they think they have a better idea of their ability than I do. But every dojo has know-it-alls. Part of life's rich tapestry, lol
Sharon

#132782 - 04/28/04 01:53 PM Re: student dilema
0goun Offline

Loc: Brooklyn, NY, USA
[QUOTE]Originally posted by still wadowoman:

... but I don't mind my students asking me when they will be testing. I DO mind when they think they have a better idea of their ability than I do...
Sharon
[/QUOTE]

Students are very optimistic about their skills, and very often their self-perception may exceed their true abilities, as this case proved. Although you don't mind their asking, have you considered instituting that policy/protocol to avoid any future incidents like that. Remember, you give them an inch they'll take a yard (we still use the English system of measurement in America).

BTW, I think you handled the situation well when it arose.

#132783 - 04/29/04 06:16 AM Re: student dilema
still wadowoman Offline
Improved beefier techno-prat

Loc: Residence:UK- Heart:Md, USA
My policy is and always has been that students have a practice test two weeks before the real thing. All students are told whether I think they are ready or not.

Children grade strictly by invitation only. Adults are advised of my opinion but can choose to try the test even if I think they are not ready. This has never actually happened because most adults are happy to be guided by me.

I can see you point, but don't think I will change this policy because of one person. It has always worked fairly well in the past, and has contined to work well since she left.
Sharon

#132784 - 05/02/04 07:20 PM Re: student dilema
Jim Offline

Loc: Munich
Having nutters in the class is the kiss of death.

You choose who you have in your class.

She was prepared to lie...

What other moral Rubricons is she prepared to cross?

#132785 - 05/04/04 07:53 AM Re: student dilema
ken harding Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: UK
Blimey Sharon, you do have a busy old time of it.

Think you did well and showed more patience and kindness than said student deserved. I don't instruct by the way and seeing how you handled it shows me why I've a way to go yet!

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Cord, MattJ, Reiki, tkd_high_green 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Stun Guns
Variety of stun gun devices for your protection

Buy Pepper Spray
Worry about your family when you’re not around? Visit us today to protect everything you value.

Koryu.com
Accurate information on the ancient martial traditions of the Japanese samurai

C2 Taser
Protect yourself and loved ones from CRIME with the latest C2 Taser citizen model. Very effective.

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga