FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 49 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
old1, Leonar, ManLar, Vimido, raya
22925 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
futsaowingchun 4
Ronin1966 3
ergees 1
Victor Smith 1
swordy 1
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
New Topics
The Classic Pak Sao drill
by futsaowingchun
10/20/14 10:32 AM
wing chun kicks and knees
by futsaowingchun
10/09/14 12:55 AM
2014 European Championships Juniors: the Gallery
by ergees
10/05/14 10:56 AM
Tan,Bong,Fuk & Wu Sao
by futsaowingchun
09/30/14 12:10 AM
Living a full life violence free...
by GojuRyuboy13
09/25/14 08:50 AM
Wing Chun-internal training
by futsaowingchun
09/23/14 09:01 PM
Martial News
by Matakiant
09/23/14 06:42 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Leo's Judo Journal
by Leo_E_49
01/24/12 02:58 AM
Recent Posts
The Classic Pak Sao drill
by futsaowingchun
10/20/14 10:32 AM
Leo's Judo Journal
by swordy
10/11/14 09:21 AM
Living a full life violence free...
by cxt
10/10/14 10:08 AM
The Karate punch
by Ronin1966
10/09/14 03:16 PM
wing chun kicks and knees
by futsaowingchun
10/09/14 12:55 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Ronin1966
10/08/14 09:22 PM
2014 European Championships Juniors: the Gallery
by ergees
10/05/14 10:56 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by AndyLA
10/04/14 10:20 AM
Tan,Bong,Fuk & Wu Sao
by futsaowingchun
09/30/14 12:10 AM
Wing Chun-internal training
by futsaowingchun
09/23/14 09:01 PM
Forum Stats
22925 Members
36 Forums
35582 Topics
432509 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#132723 - 05/28/04 08:31 AM Re: Questions for Karateka
Anonymous
Unregistered

I'm not being funny.

Why do I train

Why do I train

Why do I need

Why do I need

Why do I move

Do you ever feel

#132724 - 05/28/04 05:45 PM Re: Questions for Karateka
mikelw Offline
Veteran

Loc: Bothell, Washington (not DC), ...
Do I feel like i train for the sake of it?

Yes, all the time. Every single time I do kata in fact.

Am i going to quit as soon as I can?

Yes i am.

#132725 - 07/22/04 11:35 AM Re: Questions for Karateka
Ronin1966 Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: East Coast, United States
Good Morning Yoseikan Student:

Ever see how much dirt, gunk and germs that are brought in onto the floor by shoes (on a hardwood floor)? A better reason than most for bare feet... Also bare footed you can get a close look at ankle positioning and toe positioning... in shoes, you cannot see that and could build anatomically bad habits in your technique. Hense shoes off...

Gis are shapeless unisex clothing which equalizes everybody. Old, young, executive or vagrent in a gi everybody is "neutral" and ther is no distinction.

Belts, that is simply a visual aid for a teacher to tell instantly what skills are available to build the lesson plan around. Without them and its much harder to do so, and especially for rotating instructors, or assistants assisting. Its a visual aid.

Stance training helps examine and explore the correct body mechanics of a technique. Random or haphazard and you'd be getting different results from the folks on either side of you. All starting from the IDENTICAL place (same stance mechanics) and you explore how power can be maximally generated from a seemingly "bad" position.

Flat footed or heel up, depends on what you are doing and attempting. Flat footed is my standard, but not "dead weight".

Karate done correctly is not bad for the joints. Only done INCORRECTLY is it bad...

And finally yup, the many arts of -te ARE about personal control. Command over your physical actions and exploring how to control the thought processes which trigger them. Figure out how to control either so that you cannot be forced into a situation, and you've learnt well...

Learn to control ourselves, so we AVOID the stupid and avoidable situations and we've learned correctly & well... IMHO-fwiw

Jeff

#132726 - 08/04/04 06:14 AM Re: Questions for Karateka
ken harding Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: UK
Yoseikan
Here goes with another set of answers in addition to the very good posts thus far.

Why do I train in bare feet?
Primarily I think because it was a tradition not to wear shoes in houses in Okinawa/ Japan and its' been carried over. On a practical level shoes hide feet positions, angles of toes and so on. It really is a help to see this even though in practise, if you have to fight for real you'll be wearing shoes.

Why do I train in a gi with a belt?

Up to you mate. I enjoy wearing a gi, it is comfortable and reasonably practical. Some clubs demand it others don't.

Why do I need to lock my stance?

You don't. I think of a "stance" merely as the position one assumes at the end of a technique. It may "lock" as you tense for a split second to deliver the power when hitting someone but only for an instant. No one in their right mind would assume Junzuki stance at the start of a fight in the street. However, if you move forward fast and hit someone you will end up weight forwards on one leg same leg and arm to the opponent. Likewise throw a cross (gyakuzuki) and the body position will end up something like the normal gyaku stance. You'll not stay there though will you? You will continue to move/attack/defend/evade and thus the way you stand will change all the time. Hope this makes sense!!! The training in these positions is only really to show what they are, it's not suggesting one move in a robotlike fashion, more that fluidly one changes from one to the other. Try to treat stances as transitional positions.

Why do I need to look like a swallow in Enpi?

Not a kata I'm familiar with but just as I don't look like a crane on a rock in Chinto (more like an ugly duck slipping off a slippery seaweed covered stone actually) It is just a descriptive.
Why do I move into and hold static stances?

To learn positions....see above

Do you ever feel that you are training control for the sake of it? (By that I mean the ability to put your body in an exact space and time. Not for improving your ability to strike more effectively, but just to exert more control over your body.)

Frequently but this is no bad thing. Interestingly onece you have that control you'll find applications taught for kata especially which will surprise you. All those years of "do this to improve balance" gets blown away when you get shown a throw/ takedown from what you once perceived as a very odd turn in Kushanku for example!

Why do I move differently in sparring to how I move in kata and line work?
Line work = basic positions and basic technique. Kata is a level above. Kumite is simply applying all this with someone trying to make it hard for you to do this!

Do any of you spar flat footed, or with your heels on the ground?
I'll fight flat footed or on my toes. You have to vary it.

Old karateka:

Is karate bad for your joints?
Hmm am 39 and don't feel a day over 16/60 (take your pick). I think training is a little more sesible now so no it's not. The days of bunny hops round and round the dojo are not lamented by me.
Most of my big injuries have been from other sports. I actually think Karate has helped me be in better nick now than I would have been without it.

All IMHO of course.

Regards

Ken

[This message has been edited by ken harding (edited 08-06-2004).]

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Ames, Cord, MattJ, Reiki, Ronin1966 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Fight Videos
Night club fight footage and street fights captured with the world's first bouncer spy cam

How to Matrix!
Learn ten times faster with new training method. Learn entire arts for as little as $10 per disk.

Self Defense
Stun guns, pepper spray, Mace and self defense products. Alarms for personal and home use.

TASER MC26C
Stop An Urban Gorilla: Get 2 FREE TASER M26C Replacement Air Cartridges With Each New TASER M26C!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga