FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 32 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
AndyLA, danacohenn, ksusanc, kellypnik123, leyinn
22904 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Dobbersky 14
cxt 7
trevek 6
JKogas 5
futsaowingchun 4
July
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
New Topics
Applied center line theory
by futsaowingchun
07/28/14 08:55 AM
centerline concepts
by futsaowingchun
07/14/14 10:49 PM
language of syllabus
by trevek
07/11/14 03:36 PM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:14 AM
10 San Sik drills-Wing Chun's foundation
by futsaowingchun
06/30/14 11:20 AM
Anderson Silva - Leg Break
by Dobbersky
12/30/13 08:32 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
Gi or no Gi Grappling?
by Prizewriter
04/16/12 02:48 PM
MMA - A passing Fad
by Dobbersky
04/12/12 11:16 AM
Throwing
by
04/23/05 10:58 PM
Recent Posts
Gi or no Gi Grappling?
by Dobbersky
Yesterday at 05:11 AM
Applied center line theory
by futsaowingchun
07/28/14 08:55 AM
centerline concepts
by futsaowingchun
07/28/14 08:53 AM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by cxt
07/24/14 11:35 AM
language of syllabus
by trevek
07/14/14 04:50 PM
MMA - A passing Fad
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:35 AM
Anderson Silva - Leg Break
by Dobbersky
07/09/14 06:13 AM
Throwing
by JKogas
07/03/14 07:40 PM
10 San Sik drills-Wing Chun's foundation
by futsaowingchun
06/30/14 11:20 AM
Forum Stats
22904 Members
36 Forums
35564 Topics
432455 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 6 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#132567 - 09/16/03 05:07 PM Re: Teaching Children
Anonymous
Unregistered

Bossman,
Thanks for your reply, it is very encouraging.

I can see the reasoning behind having all instructors take an NVQ. I think it is a good idea in theory but it will be a logistical nightmare. Have you any idea how much this will cost instructors?

The handbook sounds like a great idea, as long as people do adhere to the guidelines. What do you think about printing the guidlines (or a summary) in all licences with an association and an EKGB contact number in case of infringement? I did suggest this when suggestions were asked for at my coaching course, but the head of our association said that was not necessary.

Would you also consider putting together similar guidelines on Dan gradings? Or if you have already could you direct me to a copy? I am sure that you are aware that there is a vast variation of standards in dan grades within most governing bodies.
Sharon

[This message has been edited by wadowoman (edited 09-17-2003).]

#132568 - 09/17/03 02:45 AM Re: Teaching Children
Bossman Offline
Veteran

Loc: Chatham Kent UK
Wadowoman:
I can see the reasoning behind having all instructors take an NVQ. I think it is a good idea in theory but it will be a logistical nightmare. Have you any idea how much this will cost instructors?<<

It varies on how many people take it at the same time. Often the Chief Instructor or his nominee qualifies first as the Assessor, we run a few one day courses on portfolio building and training and subsequently assess verify and submit the portfolios. I'll mail you our the email address of our Coaching Director who is also a Lead Verifier for City and Guilds, he will be happy to advise you.

Wadowoman:
The handbook sounds like a great idea, as long as people do adhere to the guidelines. What do you think about printing the guidlines (or a summary) in all licences with an association and an EKGB contact number in case of infringement? I did suggest this when suggestions were asked for at my coaching course, but the head of our association said that was not necessary.<<

It would have to be a BIG licence! :-D Our Association guidelines are given to all our instructors and we post a students rights charter on the noticeboard in our Dojo along with a complaints procedure.

Wadowoman
>>Would you also consider putting together similar guidelines on Dan gradings? Or if you have already could you direct me to a copy? I am sure that you are aware that there is a vast variation of standards in dan grades within most governing bodies.<<

Have done so, written by me for the Association. I'll mail them to you with the other info and am happy to post them on the forum if others want.

Steve

[This message has been edited by Bossman (edited 09-17-2003).]

#132569 - 09/17/03 02:55 AM Re: Teaching Children
Anonymous
Unregistered

Bossman,
From what you have posted here, your association sound like a good one.

I hope you will consider using your influence on the EKGB board to try to make these practices the norm rather than the exception. The kind of instructor that voluntarily lets its students know how they can complain and what they are entitled to are probably not doing too much wrong. I would like to see it compulsory for ALL associations within EKGB to have a similar policy. I am not sure how pracical this would be to enforce. The same goes for the dan grading guidelines. I have never seen a copy of anything like that.
I llok forward to receiving the information you are sending.
Thanks very much for your time
Sharon

#132570 - 09/17/03 04:22 AM Re: Teaching Children
Bossman Offline
Veteran

Loc: Chatham Kent UK
[QUOTE]Originally posted by wadowoman:
Bossman,
From what you have posted here, your association sound like a good one.

I hope you will consider using your influence on the EKGB board to try to make these practices the norm rather than the exception. The kind of instructor that voluntarily lets its students know how they can complain and what they are entitled to are probably not doing too much wrong. I would like to see it compulsory for ALL associations within EKGB to have a similar policy. I am not sure how pracical this would be to enforce. The same goes for the dan grading guidelines. I have never seen a copy of anything like that.
I llok forward to receiving the information you are sending.
Thanks very much for your time
Sharon
[/QUOTE]

Hi Sharon

My email to you was returned by AOL so I've sent a copy to the email address registered here, hope it finds you!

Steve

#132571 - 01/20/04 08:11 AM Re: Teaching Children
Shaolinboy Offline

Loc: England
I have hard of many great Martial artists beginning their training when they were as young as 4 and this is common in China and Japan, so why not in the West as well?
Although culturally the Chinese do things differently and the training is a lot more harsh!
Jet Li started Wushu when he was 8 and that is the equivalent to baseball in America and football in England as in China its a National sport!

#132572 - 01/20/04 03:17 PM Re: Teaching Children
JohnL Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: NY, NY, USA
If you clasify martial arts as a sport then should start as young as possible.

JohnL

#132573 - 08/03/04 11:52 AM Re: Teaching Children
Anpadh Offline

Loc: Fort Lauderdale, FL, USA
I read, only last month, of a 7-year-old who had just earned his first-degree black belt. He started at the age of three and a half. The boy got his degree from a dojo in NYC. My daughter studies in FL, but both dojos are owned and operated by the same people. In fact, this particular family owns a chain of dojos across the US. Does this mean that the entire chain is a fraud and that all the hard work and training my daughter has put in, over the last 4 years, is pretty much worthless? My daughter is currently a red belt and is looking forward to getting her black belt some time next year. Will this black belt now be meaningless considering that a 7-year-old is also a black belt, in the same system of dojos? I am kind of surprised that a 7-year-old got a black belt, actually, because when I started investigating MA schools, my daughter was about 4 years old, and no MA class would accept her, to teach her MA. They all said she could learn discipline and concentration, and so on, but not MA -- including the school where she now is. In fact, her current school does not start off kids in MA program until they are at least 7 years old. So, what is the deal here? What am I missing?

#132574 - 08/05/04 02:10 PM Re: Teaching Children
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi, i would like to comment on Anpadh's concerns regarding his daughter. These are only my opinions though.

It is possible that the chain is a fraud, and i cant understand giving any minor a black belt, but perhaps, not everyone involved in the chain is a fraud.

To give a stupid example. There are two Arby's Roast Beefs near me. The one closest too me always messes my order up, and the employees are always yelling at one another. If i drive about 10 minutes out of the way, there is an Arby's which has yet to mess up an order, and the employees seem jovial. Both restuarants are Arby's, but they are managed quite differently. I think this issue is separate from whether there should be franchises in the martial arts.

If you have concerns, i would schedule an appointment with the instuctor where your daughter goes and express them. The way he respondes to your queries will help you make an educated decision. If he is unwilling to meet with you or is incredibly defensive or bragging, that will you tell you something.

~ED

#132575 - 08/20/04 12:25 PM Re: Teaching Children
Anonymous
Unregistered

[QUOTE]Originally posted by MrEd:
It is possible that the chain is a fraud, and i cant understand giving any minor a black belt, but perhaps, not everyone involved in the chain is a fraud.
[/QUOTE]

Off Topic:

I find that offensive. Here we go: I'm 17 and have recently been promoted to Shodan. I started training when I was 4 and have trained without stop since then 3-5 times a week. I teach and understand the concepts of bunkai and kata better then most adults. Acording to you someone like myself shouldn't be a black belt. That's sick, if your idea of minor is someone under the age of 18.

Back on topic:

Other then that I agree with MrEd. Talk to your daughters instructor. Remind your child that, she has earned her belt through hard work. She knows her techniques. If she knows she's worthy of the belt that she possesses (sp?) then what does it matter if some fraud promoted someone who isn't ready.

There is always the option of finding another school if her instructor reacts in the way that MrEd has said.

#132576 - 08/20/04 02:20 PM Re: Teaching Children
Anonymous
Unregistered

Matt,

The example given in the thread was of children 7 yrs old getting black belts. When i used the term minor, i was referring to this age bracket, or more in general, people who were too young to understand what they were training for, their strengths and weaknesses.

There is nothing wrong with training at this age, but if the rank of black belt is to hold any significance, i dont think they should be given to 7 yr olds who aren't mature enough to understand.

By the time one reaches their teenage years, they have more freedom of choice, life expereience and understnading. Therefore they can better appreciate the meaning (and responsibility) of the belt.

Also, God forbid, i wouldn't want to see a 7 yr old with a black belt think he could out fight a 6' tall would-be child abductor.

~Ed

Page 6 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Cord, MattJ, Reiki, tkd_high_green 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Self Defense
Offering stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and other self defense products not available in stores.

Pepper Spray
Online distributor of self defense supplies like videos, stun guns, Tasers and more.

Spy Cameras
Surveillance, Hidden Cameras, Nanny Cams, Digital Recorders, Spy Equipment, Pocket DVR's and more

Stun Gun
Wholesale Directlhy to the Public! Stun gun and Taser Guns and personal protection products. Keep your loved ones at home safe!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga