FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 32 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
BUJU, Pilsungkarate, ALF, old1, Leonar
22928 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Ronin1966 3
futsaowingchun 2
ergees 2
GojuRyuboy13 2
AndyLA 1
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
New Topics
I spy kata bunkai..
by GojuRyuboy13
10/29/14 08:28 AM
Judo 2014 World Championships Juniors: The Gallery
by ergees
10/25/14 04:53 PM
The Classic Pak Sao drill
by futsaowingchun
10/20/14 10:32 AM
wing chun kicks and knees
by futsaowingchun
10/09/14 12:55 AM
2014 European Championships Juniors: the Gallery
by ergees
10/05/14 10:56 AM
Living a full life violence free...
by GojuRyuboy13
09/25/14 08:50 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Leo's Judo Journal
by Leo_E_49
01/24/12 02:58 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by
05/13/07 08:02 AM
Recent Posts
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/29/14 10:01 PM
I spy kata bunkai..
by GojuRyuboy13
10/29/14 08:28 AM
Judo 2014 World Championships Juniors: The Gallery
by ergees
10/25/14 04:53 PM
Living a full life violence free...
by GojuRyuboy13
10/22/14 07:20 AM
The Classic Pak Sao drill
by futsaowingchun
10/20/14 10:32 AM
Leo's Judo Journal
by swordy
10/11/14 09:21 AM
wing chun kicks and knees
by futsaowingchun
10/09/14 12:55 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Ronin1966
10/08/14 09:22 PM
2014 European Championships Juniors: the Gallery
by ergees
10/05/14 10:56 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by AndyLA
10/04/14 10:20 AM
Forum Stats
22928 Members
36 Forums
35584 Topics
432513 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 4 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#132547 - 08/03/03 05:12 PM Re: Teaching Children
Yoseikan Student Offline
Veteran

Loc: UK
Don't confuse young with stupid. I hated being talked down to as a kid in school, especially when you have more than a few suspicions that your teacher isn't all that bright themselves.

Kids lack maturity, but not brains and they can spot BS a mile off.

#132548 - 08/03/03 07:48 PM Re: Teaching Children
Reiki Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: MiddleEarth
[QUOTE]Originally posted by JohnL:
Soccer, Rugby, athletics, gymnastics swimming, diving, roller blading, skiing, etc.

Shall I go on.

JohnL

[/QUOTE]

I'm ok with a bit of soccer, some athletics, gymnastics & swimming - but when did rugby ever do anything for total body awareness other than provide a way to break necks and produce yobbos?

[IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/frown.gif[/IMG]

[plse remember that I come from the "home" of the All Blacks - and I see far more than many of you do - the terrible results of rugby accidents] [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/frown.gif[/IMG] [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/frown.gif[/IMG] [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/frown.gif[/IMG] [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/frown.gif[/IMG]

As for diving, roller blading, skiing, well I'm not convinced any of these are better for total body awareness. Skiing is a good way for wrecking knees as is rollerblading! And diving into a pool ??? Next you'll be saying that synchronised swimming is better than MA..

I'm just having a little dig..... [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/biggrin.gif[/IMG]

Still think MA and riding and swimming are the best...

#132549 - 08/03/03 07:55 PM Re: Teaching Children
Reiki Offline
Professional Poster

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Yoseikan Student:
Don't confuse young with stupid. I hated being talked down to as a kid in school, especially when you have more than a few suspicions that your teacher isn't all that bright themselves.

Kids lack maturity, but not brains and they can spot BS a mile off.
[/QUOTE]

yeah totally agree with u on this!

My son is nearly 10 [going on about 16!] and he is very quick to spot any cr@p
- and he will tell you too!

I try to treat the kids like they are small adults with less experience [& also with less maturity], but never treat them as being stupid or talk down to them. They do not work as well with people who treat them like morons or inferiors.

#132550 - 08/04/03 12:43 PM Re: Teaching Children
JohnL Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: NY, NY, USA
Hi Reiki:

I never said other activities were better, just that they were as good as MA's.

As for the rugby, the All Blacks, isn't that the team that lost to England recently. [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/wink.gif[/IMG]

As for diving, if you don't think that those guys have amazing body control, well, there's nothing I can say to that.

I just don't think that kids are being taught a MA under about 15 or so. It's just fun, and there's nothing wrong with that.

JohnL

#132551 - 08/05/03 09:14 PM Re: Teaching Children
Reiki Offline
Professional Poster

[QUOTE]Originally posted by JohnL:
As for the rugby, the All Blacks, isn't that the team that lost to England recently. [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/wink.gif[/IMG][/QUOTE]

nah! They are the ones who thrashed the Aussies recently........

[IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/biggrin.gif[/IMG]

#132552 - 08/06/03 01:25 AM Re: Teaching Children
Anonymous
Unregistered

if body control is all you are seeking-go study yoga or ballet.

#132553 - 08/08/03 09:09 AM Re: Teaching Children
UKfightfreak Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: San Francisco
[QUOTE]Originally posted by wadowoman:

We should not bend our knees from standing more than 90 degrees as this can cause permanent knee damage.
[/QUOTE]

This is a myth, although the 'Smurf squats' in question may be too difficult for most people to perform correctly and/or the knees maybe too weak for them to perform in an explosive manner.

In fact hindu type squats (going all the way down in a squat so your bum touches your heals - but with no bounce has got to be controlled and so your heals come off the floor so you are balancing with your back straight on the balls of your foot) are actually beneficial for your knees and will help strengthen them.

In fact I agree with Tom Kurz that a Kicking Martial artist should be able to do 100+ at least.

In fact, there was an article I read very recently - I think it was the BMJ or something that the most unstable position for your knees is at 90 degrees and therefore stopping at this position could in fact be more dangerous. If anyone is interested I can look up the reference (I normally keep a note of this stuff but I have just moved house and everything is everywhere!)

#132554 - 08/08/03 11:04 AM Re: Teaching Children
Anonymous
Unregistered

UKFF,
I would be interested in any reference you can find on this.
I stated that more than 90 degrees was dangerous because that it what I have been told by the English Karate Governing Body who issue my teaching certificates.
Nekogami13, if this proves correct, I appologise to you.
Sharon

#132555 - 08/11/03 05:27 AM Re: Teaching Children
UKfightfreak Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: San Francisco
Sharon,

To be honest, if you look at most of the training courses that you will do with any organisation whether it be Martial Arts or not you will find a lot of stuff based on out of date reports that have filtered through.

And to be honest, you know why - its through laziness (not calling you lazy by the way) but exercises that are deemed difficult - such as deep knee squats or deadlifts, occasionally have some evidence to say that they are bad for you (normally through incorrect training technique or methods) which are then put into print to join other study's which contradict this (which is good - so people can make a decision by themselves and go through the evidence).

Now do you see what I am talking about with laziness? Well what I mean is someone reads 'This difficult exercise is bad for you' its easier to take and drop from a routine, whereas 'This easy exercises is bad for you' is a lot easier for people to dismiss, purely because the brain says 'its easy so I can't be bad for you'.

I will sort out the references when I have got my flat sorted out - I will also supply references that counter what I have said and agree with yourself and the EKGB.

I just read both arguements from different sources and went with the one that made them most sense to me (and about 2 billion chinese people and the whole of India).

#132556 - 08/11/03 05:43 AM Re: Teaching Children
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks UKFF,
To be honest, I believe you because it is obvious from your other posts that you have researched a lot of stretching/body mechanics etc. and what you are saying here makes sense.
I want the evidence to show the EKGB because if I teach something they say I should not and there is any comeback from a student, I could lose my teaching licence.
You are also probably absolutely right about laziness. Lots of organisations and individuals just go for the eaasiest way to make the most money.
That's why most martial arts are so watered down. There are several "Wado" clubs in my area that only do half the curriculum, cutting out the bits that are difficult to teach or perform). That is fine with me, but I wish they wouldn't call it Wado.
Same goes for "self defence" doesn't it? If people are leaving because the training is a bit rough many people will make it more gentle.
Waste of time and money for the student, but very profitable for the instructor.

Sorry to go off at a tangent, thanks again for the information and your opinion.
Sharon

Page 4 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Cord, MattJ, Reiki, tkd_high_green 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Ryukyu Art
Artifacts from the Ryukyu Kingdom missing since WWII. Visit www.ShisaLion.Org to view pictures

Best Stun Guns
Self Defense Products-stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and more

Surveillance 4U
Complete surveillance systems for covert operations or secure installation security

Asylum Images
Book presents photo tour of the Trans-Allegany Lunatic Asylum. A must if you're going to take a ghost tour!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga