FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 44 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
ksusanc, kellypnik123, leyinn, Ron_Cooley, businns
22902 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Dobbersky 12
cxt 7
trevek 6
JKogas 5
futsaowingchun 2
July
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
New Topics
centerline concepts
by futsaowingchun
07/14/14 10:49 PM
language of syllabus
by trevek
07/11/14 03:36 PM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:14 AM
10 San Sik drills-Wing Chun's foundation
by futsaowingchun
06/30/14 11:20 AM
"Ip Man" and "Ip Man 2" the movies.
by TaekwonDoFan
06/30/14 11:02 AM
Iaido movements speed
by TooNice
04/14/14 01:47 PM
Anderson Silva - Leg Break
by Dobbersky
12/30/13 08:32 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
Gi or no Gi Grappling?
by Prizewriter
04/16/12 02:48 PM
MMA - A passing Fad
by Dobbersky
04/12/12 11:16 AM
Recent Posts
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by cxt
Yesterday at 11:35 AM
centerline concepts
by Dobbersky
07/18/14 06:14 AM
language of syllabus
by trevek
07/14/14 04:50 PM
Gi or no Gi Grappling?
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:38 AM
MMA - A passing Fad
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:35 AM
Anderson Silva - Leg Break
by Dobbersky
07/09/14 06:13 AM
Throwing
by JKogas
07/03/14 07:40 PM
10 San Sik drills-Wing Chun's foundation
by futsaowingchun
06/30/14 11:20 AM
"Ip Man" and "Ip Man 2" the movies.
by TaekwonDoFan
06/30/14 11:02 AM
Forget all that health stuff
by TaekwonDoFan
06/29/14 03:18 AM
Forum Stats
22902 Members
36 Forums
35563 Topics
432450 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#132517 - 07/25/03 06:00 PM Teaching Children
smittenkittenTKD Offline

Loc: MI usa
i teach a Tae Kwon Do childrens class for belts white to green.The children are fairly young, and their attention spans tend to evaporate fairly quickly doing drills the adult class does. SO most of the teaching i do is through games. i have some really great ones, as well as discplinary tricks, if anyone would like to trade! lol

kitten

#132518 - 07/26/03 02:30 AM Re: Teaching Children
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi Kitten,

To be honest I prefer not to teach children by playing games. I prefer to teach them in the same way I would an adult. I think children who don't see their martial arts class as a serious thing whilst they are young will have trouble doing so as an older child/young adult.
If their attention span is not long enough to complete a lesson, then in my opinion they are not mature enough to be there.
The only differnces I make are:

I do not teach chokes/strangles or other lethal techniques to the very young

I maintain close contact with their parents and their school to ensure what they are learning is not being misused in any way

I allow a toilet break after 45 minutes (obviously they are allowed to go before the break if they need to but they are encouraged to go before we start to avoid disturbing the lesson)

I explain things slightly differently according to age

I am not saying my way is better than yours, this is just what works for me and my students.

As for discipline, they are told once if behaviour is inappropriate and the next time they are made to sit out for a few minutes before being asked if they would like to re join the class. Consistent bad behaviour means speaking to their parents, which again I only do once. I have only ever had to tell one parent not to bring their child back in six years of teaching.

I am interested to hear how you operate your class though.

Sharon

#132519 - 07/27/03 12:59 AM Re: Teaching Children
Anonymous
Unregistered

agree with wadowoman to an extent.
Our children's class has game day-play knee tag,strike pad soccer,etc to break things up a little bit.

discipline them by having them hold concentration positions,push ups,smurf jacks.

#132520 - 07/27/03 06:29 AM Re: Teaching Children
Fighting Dwarf Offline

Loc: UK
Okay, I have to ask - smurf jacks???

-Charlie

#132521 - 07/27/03 01:57 PM Re: Teaching Children
Anonymous
Unregistered

Smurf Jack-1)squat down(butt against heels),feet close together.Hand down at sides
2)do a jumping jack motion-hopping so feet go out past shoulders,keeping the butt down in a low squat.Clap hand above head.
3)return to starting position

comes from a prison movie. [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif[/IMG]

[This message has been edited by nekogami13 (edited 07-27-2003).]

#132522 - 07/27/03 02:16 PM Re: Teaching Children
Anonymous
Unregistered

Sounds unsafe and inapropriate for adults, never mind children.
Still, if it was in a prison movie, it must be OK! [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/rolleyes.gif[/IMG]
Sharon

#132523 - 07/27/03 03:07 PM Re: Teaching Children
Anonymous
Unregistered

We have yet to have anyone die from smurf jacks. Cry,whine "I can't do this!", no fatalities as of yet.Though we keep trying. [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/tongue.gif[/IMG]

#132524 - 07/27/03 04:01 PM Re: Teaching Children
smittenkittenTKD Offline

Loc: MI usa
i agree, all but the attention span part. the kids I teach are from 4 to 8 and all of them stand still and listen well, can tie their own belts, say yes mam and sir, and can count in korean to twenty. Ive just noticed they tend to not like class when we do the same things the adult class does, well, because that is fun for adults not a 6 year old. SO i teach them thier techniques in a more kid happy format...

king of the mat. all the kids stand about 3 feet away around the sparring ring, and one by one each kid gets a turn going up there with me. i have a blocker thingy and start striking with it. the kid has to block them, and if he misses a block or steps out of the ring he has to go sit back down...

elite slides. usually people learn these from expierince from sparring, but kids really get a kick outta them and learn footwork at the same time, so we practice them. when we spar they actually try them and they work!

synchronazation (??) games. pair the kids up have them work on kicks together, but they have to do the simultaneously. only work on baisc kicks here, so the kids can slow it down and get the steps down. after awhile, they have beautiful side kicks and roundhouses! i also have them do physical type things like holding your partners shoulder while doing things like grapevines or RRs

of course we work kicks in the mirror and do forms and onesteps, just some of those things teach little things and kinda break up the motonany! i have more...

Kitten

#132525 - 07/27/03 04:18 PM Re: Teaching Children
Anonymous
Unregistered

Nekogami13,
Unless I misunderstand your description of smurf squats, I maintain that they are dangerous.
We should not bend our knees from standing more than 90 degrees as this can cause permanent knee damage. Jumping in the way you describe (if I have understoond correctly) has a very real risk of landing on the cocsyx (sp?). I have attempted these from your description and would be horrified if a visiting instructor asked my students to do them.
Sorry

Kitten, sorry I misunderstood when you said GAMES. I have seen some ridiculous ones with little relation to martial arts and more a way to keep the kids coming and extract money from the parents under the false pretence of learning karate, etc.
The drills you describe sound a great idea and are not disimilar to some of the ones I do myself.
Sharon

#132526 - 07/27/03 06:19 PM Re: Teaching Children
Reiki Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: MiddleEarth
We also mix up our training drills with the kids with a few "games" like knee boxing tag in a low shiko dachi position, holding positions longest, Sempai says [variation of Simon says so they remember the names of the positions, kicks etc], tag with focus mits, doing the most pressups/situps etc etc

We do these after the kids have trained well as a reward for doing a good job & working hard. The "games" are all focussed on making them stronger and learning more.

The other thing we do is kata with eyes shut. Very interesting! [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/wink.gif[/IMG]

We use pressups & situps and being sent out of the class for bad/dangerous behaviour for disciplining them too.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Cord, MattJ, Reiki, tkd_high_green 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Self Defense
Offering stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and other self defense products not available in stores.

Pepper Spray
Online distributor of self defense supplies like videos, stun guns, Tasers and more.

Spy Cameras
Surveillance, Hidden Cameras, Nanny Cams, Digital Recorders, Spy Equipment, Pocket DVR's and more

Stun Gun
Wholesale Directlhy to the Public! Stun gun and Taser Guns and personal protection products. Keep your loved ones at home safe!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga